Annunen Backstops Colorado to 2-1 Win over Wild
LOVELAND, CO. - Colorado goaltender Justus Annunen turned aside 31 of the 32 shots he faced, while defenseman Jordan Gross scored the game-winning goal in the second period, as the Eagles defeated the Iowa Wild, 2-1 on Friday. The win was Colorado's sixth straight victory, as forward Sampo Ranta also found the back of the net in the winning effort.
An Eagles turnover at center ice would prove costly, as Iowa forward Adam Beckman snagged the puck and drove through the right-wing circle before burying a wrist shot, giving the Wild a 1-0 edge at the 14:31 mark of the first period.
As time wound down in the opening frame, Ranta would track down a rebound in the crease and smashed it into the back of the net to tie the game at 1-1 with only nine seconds left to play in the period.
Still deadlocked 1-1 as the puck dropped on the second period of play, Colorado would jump into the driver's seat for the first time when Gross blasted a shot from the blue line that would light the lamp and give the Eagles a 2-1 advantage just 2:16 into the period.
Later in the middle frame, a succession of Colorado penalties would see Iowa earn 1:11 of a 5-on-3 power play, but some stellar work from Annunen and the rest of the penalty kill kept the Wild off the board and the Eagles would take their 2-1 lead into the second intermission.
A back-and-forth third period would see Iowa generate seven shots on net, but the Wild would be forced to pull goalie Zane McIntyre in the final minutes in favor of the extra attacker. Despite some quality chances down the stretch, Iowa would come no closer and the Eagles would hold on for the 2-1 win.
Colorado was outshot in the contest 32-27, as the Eagles finished the night going 0-for-5 on the power play and 3-for-3 on the penalty kill.
The Eagles will be back in action when they take on the Iowa Wild on Saturday, January 22nd at 7:05pm MT at the Budweiser Events Center. Tickets for all regular season games are on sale now and start at just $19. You can find more information on ticket packages, theme tickets, and promotional nights, by visiting ColoradoEagles.com or by calling the ticket department at (970) 686-7468.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2022
- Sikura Nets Winner to Push Eagles Win Streak to Seven - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Earn Point Saturday against Henderson - Stockton Heat
- Silver Knights Win, 4-3, in OT against the Heat - Henderson Silver Knights
- Griffins' Eight Game Home Point Streak Comes to an End - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Teddy Bears Fly, Bears Win over Hartford 5-0 - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Fall to Bears in First Half of Back-To-Back Set - Hartford Wolf Pack
- IceHogs, Teply Shoot Down Stars - Rockford IceHogs
- Providence Fights back to Beat Islanders - Bridgeport Islanders
- Texas Extends Point Streak to Four Games on Saturday - Texas Stars
- Grimaldi Hat Trick Propels Admirals - Milwaukee Admirals
- Providence Bruins Rally from Behind, Defeat Bridgeport Islanders, 5-3 - Providence Bruins
- Hershey Bears 2022 Teddy Bear Toss Sets New World Record - Hershey Bears
- Nylander, Puustinen Lead Penguins Rally for 3-2 OT Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Rally Past Crunch, 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Head Coach Kevin Dineen Earns 400th Win against Crunch - Utica Comets
- Marlies Fall to Penguins in Overtime - Toronto Marlies
- Kyle Criscuolo, Luke Witkowski Rejoin Taxi Squad - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Checkers Rally in 3rd to Top Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Moose Tips Wolves in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Third-Period Explosion Lifts Checkers over Lehigh Valley - Charlotte Checkers
- 5 Things: Heat vs Henderson, 1.22.22 - Stockton Heat
- Wolves Battle in Frigid Winnipeg - Chicago Wolves
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Forward Liam Foudy to AHL's Cleveland Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Fix-Wolansky and Gaunce Both Score Hat Tricks in Monsters 7-3 Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Amerks Split Weekend Set with Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Kalynuk and Morris Join Blackhawks; Hardman Returns to IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Panthers Recall Chase Priskie, Assign Evan Fitzpatrick to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Eagles Complete Multiple Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- Rangers Recall Greco, Reunanen to Taxi Squad, Assign Wall to Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat Eye Henderson Sweep Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Game #30: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wolf Pack Visit Bears in Key Atlantic Division Showdown - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman Owen Headrick to PTO - Syracuse Crunch
- Gemel Smith Assigned to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Teddy Bear Toss Game Preview: Wolf Pack at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- IceHogs Celebrate 11th Annual Autism Awareness Night vs. Stars at the BMO Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Henderson Defeated by Stockton, 3-1 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Heat Outlast Henderson in 3-1 Win - Stockton Heat
- Teply and Howarth Tally in Physical Loss to Stars - Rockford IceHogs
- Wild Fall to Eagles in Colorado, 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Annunen Backstops Colorado to 2-1 Win over Wild - Colorado Eagles
- Amerks Take First of Two in Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Gardner and Tufte Each Net Two as Texas Topples Rockford - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.