Comets Head Coach Kevin Dineen Earns 400th Win against Crunch
Utica, NY - In a rematch from just one night earlier, the Comets locked up against their division rival, the Syracuse Crunch inside the Adirondack Bank Center and once again skated away victorious. This time, by a score of 6-3. Utica head coach left the game with his 400th win of his head coaching career.
In the first period, the Crunch struck first on a goal by Gage Concalves as he shot the puck off the post and in behind Comets goalie Nico Daws at 1:59 Later, the Comets power-play tied the contest when Alex Holtz blasted a one-timer off the faceoff at 3:13 Holtz goal was his 10th of the season. Holtz added another goal and it was again on the man-advantage. Holtz wrister sailed past Syracuse netminder Max Legace on the short side and off the bar at 4:29 putting the home team up 2-1. The Comets power-play was red hot and continued to score and this time it was on a five-on-three advantage. A one-timer blast by defenseman Reilly Walsh for his fifth of the year was tallied at 5:53. The goal by Walsh put Utica up 3-1 after hotly contested first twenty minutes.
In the second period, the veteran Brian Flynn entered the offensive zone with speed and slipped a wrist shot between the legs of Legace giving Utica a 4-1 lead at 7:51. Syracuse found their way back to the score sheet after a faceoff win in the Utica zone and a point shot taken by defenseman Ryan Jones struck past Daws at 13:32. This cut the Comets lead to 4-2. Later, it was the Comets power-play that continued to be on fire. With just 7.2 seconds left in the middle frame, Chase DeLeo took a great pass from Ryan Schmelzer and made no mistake sending it to the back of the net. After 40 minutes of play, the Comets led 5-2.
Despite the Crunch striking for a goal in the third period off the Remi Ellie shot that closed the Comets lead to 5-3, the Comets ultimately skated away with a 6-3 win on the addition of a Nolan Foote Empty net goal.
The Comets will be back in action Tuesday night against the Providence Bruins. Tickets are still available. For more information, visit uticacomets.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2022
- Sikura Nets Winner to Push Eagles Win Streak to Seven - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Earn Point Saturday against Henderson - Stockton Heat
- Silver Knights Win, 4-3, in OT against the Heat - Henderson Silver Knights
- Griffins' Eight Game Home Point Streak Comes to an End - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Teddy Bears Fly, Bears Win over Hartford 5-0 - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Fall to Bears in First Half of Back-To-Back Set - Hartford Wolf Pack
- IceHogs, Teply Shoot Down Stars - Rockford IceHogs
- Providence Fights back to Beat Islanders - Bridgeport Islanders
- Texas Extends Point Streak to Four Games on Saturday - Texas Stars
- Grimaldi Hat Trick Propels Admirals - Milwaukee Admirals
- Providence Bruins Rally from Behind, Defeat Bridgeport Islanders, 5-3 - Providence Bruins
- Hershey Bears 2022 Teddy Bear Toss Sets New World Record - Hershey Bears
- Nylander, Puustinen Lead Penguins Rally for 3-2 OT Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Rally Past Crunch, 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Head Coach Kevin Dineen Earns 400th Win against Crunch - Utica Comets
- Marlies Fall to Penguins in Overtime - Toronto Marlies
- Kyle Criscuolo, Luke Witkowski Rejoin Taxi Squad - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Checkers Rally in 3rd to Top Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Moose Tips Wolves in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Third-Period Explosion Lifts Checkers over Lehigh Valley - Charlotte Checkers
- 5 Things: Heat vs Henderson, 1.22.22 - Stockton Heat
- Wolves Battle in Frigid Winnipeg - Chicago Wolves
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Forward Liam Foudy to AHL's Cleveland Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Fix-Wolansky and Gaunce Both Score Hat Tricks in Monsters 7-3 Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Amerks Split Weekend Set with Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Kalynuk and Morris Join Blackhawks; Hardman Returns to IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Panthers Recall Chase Priskie, Assign Evan Fitzpatrick to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Eagles Complete Multiple Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- Rangers Recall Greco, Reunanen to Taxi Squad, Assign Wall to Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat Eye Henderson Sweep Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Game #30: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wolf Pack Visit Bears in Key Atlantic Division Showdown - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman Owen Headrick to PTO - Syracuse Crunch
- Gemel Smith Assigned to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Teddy Bear Toss Game Preview: Wolf Pack at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- IceHogs Celebrate 11th Annual Autism Awareness Night vs. Stars at the BMO Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Henderson Defeated by Stockton, 3-1 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Heat Outlast Henderson in 3-1 Win - Stockton Heat
- Teply and Howarth Tally in Physical Loss to Stars - Rockford IceHogs
- Wild Fall to Eagles in Colorado, 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Annunen Backstops Colorado to 2-1 Win over Wild - Colorado Eagles
- Amerks Take First of Two in Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Gardner and Tufte Each Net Two as Texas Topples Rockford - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.