Tim Army Earns 100th Win as Wild Head Coach as Iowa Defeats Henderson, 2-1
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Iowa Wild (9-4-1-0; 19 pts.) defeated the Henderson Silver Knights (7-6-1-1; 16 pts.) by a score of 2-1. The victory gave Iowa Head Coach Tim Army his 100th win as the Head Coach of the Iowa Wild. Iowa goaltender Andrew Hammond stopped 24 of the 25 shots he faced in the victory and has now allowed just one goal in his last three starts.
Henderson forward Ben Jones pulled the puck through his own legs in between the faceoff circles in the Wild end and scored the game's first goal on a wrist shot at 18:44 of the first period. Jones' goal gave the Silver Knights a 1-0 lead.
At the conclusion of the first period, the Wild trailed the Silver Knights 1-0 and Henderson held a 9-8 edge in shots.
On the power play, Wild forward Matt Boldy fired a point shot that ricocheted off the pads of Henderson goaltender Logan Thompson (27 saves) onto the backhand of Iowa forward Mason Shaw, who shoveled the puck by Thompson to tie the score 1-1 at 6:49 of the second period. Boldy and Wild forward Marco Rossi were credited with assists on the play.
Later in the second, a Boldy shot from the right faceoff dot on the power play took an awkward bounce off a stanchion behind Thompson, recoiled just in front of the right post and was backhanded in by Iowa forward Will Bitten to give the Wild a 2-1 lead at 18:44 of the second period. Boldy recorded his second assist of the game on the play as Wild defenseman Joe Hicketts also assisted on the goal.
At the end of two periods of play, the Wild led 2-1 on the scoreboard and also held a 25-15 lead in shots. Shots in the second period were 17-6 in favor of Iowa.
With time winding down and the Wild down a man due to a delay of game penalty, the Silver Knights pulled Thompson for the extra attacker at 17:20 of the third period. Despite a full two minutes with a two-man advantage, Henderson could not tie the game and the Wild won 2-1.
Henderson outshot Iowa 10-4 in the third stanza, but Iowa led 29-25 in total shots at the conclusion of the game. The Wild scored both of their goals on the power play, going two-for-four with the man advantage in the game. The Silver Knights were unable to capitalize on any of their four power play opportunities.
The Wild play Henderson once more on Sunday, Nov. 28, 2021. Faceoff is set for 3 p.m. CT.
Iowa Wild hockey is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center. For more information, please visit www.iowawild.com. Fans can purchase single-game tickets through the team's website at www.iowawild.com. Group tickets (10 or more), suites, Wild 365 memberships or premium tickets can be purchased by contacting the Iowa Wild Ticket Department at 515-564-8700 or email@example.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 27, 2021
- First-Place Wolves Rally Again - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Push Hard in 3rd But Isles Hang On - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- American Hockey League Postpones Hershey Bears Games Through Wednesday - AHL
- Amerks Double up Crunch for Third Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Surpassed by Amerks, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears vs. Phantoms Games on November 28 and December 1 Postponded - Hershey Bears
- Phantoms vs. Hershey Postponed November 28 and December 1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Senyshyn Leads the Way with a Hat Trick as P-Bruins Defeat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Stumble in Third Period, Lose to Bruins, 5-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Red-Hot Comets Shut out Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Goaltender Schmid's First Shutout Lifts Team to Victory - Utica Comets
- Eagles Reassign Burzan, Bradley to ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Utilize Big Second Period to Blast Stockton, 5-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Clipped by Eagles Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Moose Rebound by Topping Stars 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Keep Point Streak Alive in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Combine with Several Partners to Present Army Vet with Restored Car - Charlotte Checkers
- Tim Army Earns 100th Win as Wild Head Coach as Iowa Defeats Henderson, 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Damiani Scores Late But Stars Fall 4-1 in Winnipeg - Texas Stars
- Silver Knights Defeated, 2-1, by Wild - Henderson Silver Knights
- T-Birds Exact Payback on Wolf Pack with 4-2 Win - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Wolf Pack See Point Streak Snapped at the Hands of the Springfield Thunderbirds 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Kraken Recall Riley Sheahan - Charlotte Checkers
- P-Bruins Announce Tickets on Sale for Second Half of 2021-22 Season - Providence Bruins
- Panthers Recall Aleksi Heponiemi - Charlotte Checkers
- Ducks Reassign Groulx and Lettieri to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- St. Louis Blues Recall F Dakota Joshua from T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Islanders and Phantoms Square off at 7:05 p.m. - Bridgeport Islanders
- 5 Things: Heat at Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Marlies Host Monsters in Second Half of Back-To-Back - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Look for Weekend Sweep Saturday at Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Wolf Pack Look for Third Straight Victory over Rival Thunderbirds - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game #14: Abbotsford at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Illinois Rivalry Ramps up as IceHogs and Wolves Clash Tonight in Rosemont - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners Score Four Unanswered Goals, Take Down Canucks In First-Ever Matchup - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Complete Sweep of San Jose - San Diego Gulls
- Colorado Nipped by Heat, 3-2 in Overtime - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.