Eagles Utilize Big Second Period to Blast Stockton, 5-1
LOVELAND, CO. - Colorado forward Sampo Ranta netted a pair of goals, while goaltender Justus Annunen stopped 35 of the 36 shots he faced, as the Eagles defeated the Stockton Heat, 5-1 on Saturday. Forward Ryan Wagner and defenseman Justin Barron also generated multi-point performances with a goal and an assist apiece. The victory also secured three of a possible four points in the standings for the Eagles in the two-game set against the first place Heat.
A chippy first period saw Stockton outshoot the Eagles 8-6, as Colorado finished the opening 20 minutes 0-for-1 on the power play, while the Heat went 0-for-2 on the man-advantage. As the horn sounded to end of the first frame, the two teams would head to the intermission still scoreless.
Things would begin to open up in the second period, as Wagner skated through the left-wing circle before snapping a wrister that would beat Stockton goalie Adam Werner to give the Eagles a 1-0 edge at the 9:09 mark of the middle frame.
The lead would grow when Barron barreled his way into the slot and lit the lamp to put Colorado on top 2-0 with 56 seconds remaining in the period. Less than a minute later, Ranta would take advantage of a 2-on-1 rush with a wrist shot from the left-wing circle that would elude Werner and grow the Eagles lead to 3-0 at the 19:57 mark of the second stanza.
Still on top 3-0 to begin the third period, Colorado would see the Heat bite back when forward Martin Pospisil buried a shot from the right-wing circle to trim the deficit to 3-1 just 4:48 into the final 20 minutes of regulation.
The Eagles would summon an answer minutes later when Ranta blew past Stockton's defense and lifted a backhander from the top of the crease into the back of the net to make it 4-1 Colorado with 11:51 left to play in the contest.
Forward Andreas Wingerli would add a punctuation to the afternoon when he deflected a shot from the blue line past Werner to extend the Eagles advantage to 5-1 at the 13:35 mark of the third period.
The Heat outshot Colorado 36-22 in the contest, as the Eagles went 0-for-2 on the power play and 5-for-5 on the penalty kill. Werner suffered the loss in net, allowing five goals on 22 shots.
The Eagles will return to action when they take on the Tucson Roadrunners on Friday, December 3rd at 7:05pm MT at the Budweiser Events Center. Tickets for all regular season games are on sale now and start at just $19. You can find more information on ticket packages, theme tickets, and promotional nights, by visiting ColoradoEagles.com or by calling the ticket department at (970) 686-7468.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 27, 2021
- First-Place Wolves Rally Again - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Push Hard in 3rd But Isles Hang On - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- American Hockey League Postpones Hershey Bears Games Through Wednesday - AHL
- Amerks Double up Crunch for Third Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Surpassed by Amerks, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears vs. Phantoms Games on November 28 and December 1 Postponded - Hershey Bears
- Phantoms vs. Hershey Postponed November 28 and December 1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Senyshyn Leads the Way with a Hat Trick as P-Bruins Defeat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Stumble in Third Period, Lose to Bruins, 5-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Red-Hot Comets Shut out Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Goaltender Schmid's First Shutout Lifts Team to Victory - Utica Comets
- Eagles Reassign Burzan, Bradley to ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Utilize Big Second Period to Blast Stockton, 5-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Clipped by Eagles Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Moose Rebound by Topping Stars 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Keep Point Streak Alive in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Combine with Several Partners to Present Army Vet with Restored Car - Charlotte Checkers
- Tim Army Earns 100th Win as Wild Head Coach as Iowa Defeats Henderson, 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Damiani Scores Late But Stars Fall 4-1 in Winnipeg - Texas Stars
- Silver Knights Defeated, 2-1, by Wild - Henderson Silver Knights
- T-Birds Exact Payback on Wolf Pack with 4-2 Win - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Wolf Pack See Point Streak Snapped at the Hands of the Springfield Thunderbirds 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Kraken Recall Riley Sheahan - Charlotte Checkers
- P-Bruins Announce Tickets on Sale for Second Half of 2021-22 Season - Providence Bruins
- Panthers Recall Aleksi Heponiemi - Charlotte Checkers
- Ducks Reassign Groulx and Lettieri to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- St. Louis Blues Recall F Dakota Joshua from T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Islanders and Phantoms Square off at 7:05 p.m. - Bridgeport Islanders
- 5 Things: Heat at Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Marlies Host Monsters in Second Half of Back-To-Back - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Look for Weekend Sweep Saturday at Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Wolf Pack Look for Third Straight Victory over Rival Thunderbirds - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game #14: Abbotsford at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Illinois Rivalry Ramps up as IceHogs and Wolves Clash Tonight in Rosemont - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners Score Four Unanswered Goals, Take Down Canucks In First-Ever Matchup - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Complete Sweep of San Jose - San Diego Gulls
- Colorado Nipped by Heat, 3-2 in Overtime - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.