Checkers Combine with Several Partners to Present Army Vet with Restored Car
The Checkers partnered with several programs -- GEICO, Caliber Collision and Veterans Bridge Home (VBH) -- to surprise Army Veteran, Shashanta Andrews, with a newly restored Nissan Pathfinder during the first intermission of Saturday's game.
Andrews recently moved to Charlotte in hopes of finding better opportunities through her job as a home healthcare aid, in order to support her and her family.
As she was coming into Charlotte, she was startled as her car had blown a gasket.
"In our industry we sort of have a front-row seat to what it's like for somebody when they're out of commission for their vehicle, it can be very tough," said Kyle Maciejewski, Regional Vice President of Caliber Collision.
This made it impossible for Andrews to provide a living for her family. Andrews was able to get into the shelter with her children and was unable to continue her beloved job.
"Without a car she had to quit her job - she was a home healthcare aide, so she needed a car to get from house to house where she was doing her work," stated Steven Cole, VP of Advancement for Veterans Bridge Home. "She's also got two children and the youngest has cerebral palsy, so just getting him around is difficult, especially if you don't have a vehicle.
After hearing her story, Veterans Bridge Home nominated Andrews to receive a new car through Recycled Rides, a program from the National Auto Body Council. Caliber Collision and GEICO then joined forces to provide a car and restore it for Andrews.
"It's a Nissan Pathfinder donated by Geico," said Maciejewski. "Geico is a tremendous player in this Recycled Rides program, they're regularly involved with giving back. It's great to have a partnership like that. The vehicle is going to be borderline new when the recipient gets it. For this one specifically it had a little bit of damage on the front and rear, so we had teammates donate their time to repair, refinish and reassemble."
After roughly a year of an empty arena, the Checkers were excited to help continue this program.
"To be able to get back into the arena and go through this process again is really exciting and we're looking forward to continuing this and doing many more in the future," said Jason Phelps, Auto Damage Claims Director with GEICO. "I think it shows the power of community and how we can all come together from multiple different industries. It makes Charlotte feel like a small community."
"It goes to show you what a community can do when it works together," said Cole. "Everyone is doing their part to help a veteran. This program is really life-changing for the veterans who receive these vehicles."
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 27, 2021
- First-Place Wolves Rally Again - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Push Hard in 3rd But Isles Hang On - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- American Hockey League Postpones Hershey Bears Games Through Wednesday - AHL
- Amerks Double up Crunch for Third Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Surpassed by Amerks, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears vs. Phantoms Games on November 28 and December 1 Postponded - Hershey Bears
- Phantoms vs. Hershey Postponed November 28 and December 1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Senyshyn Leads the Way with a Hat Trick as P-Bruins Defeat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Stumble in Third Period, Lose to Bruins, 5-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Red-Hot Comets Shut out Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Goaltender Schmid's First Shutout Lifts Team to Victory - Utica Comets
- Eagles Reassign Burzan, Bradley to ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Utilize Big Second Period to Blast Stockton, 5-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Clipped by Eagles Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Moose Rebound by Topping Stars 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Keep Point Streak Alive in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Combine with Several Partners to Present Army Vet with Restored Car - Charlotte Checkers
- Tim Army Earns 100th Win as Wild Head Coach as Iowa Defeats Henderson, 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Damiani Scores Late But Stars Fall 4-1 in Winnipeg - Texas Stars
- Silver Knights Defeated, 2-1, by Wild - Henderson Silver Knights
- T-Birds Exact Payback on Wolf Pack with 4-2 Win - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Wolf Pack See Point Streak Snapped at the Hands of the Springfield Thunderbirds 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Kraken Recall Riley Sheahan - Charlotte Checkers
- P-Bruins Announce Tickets on Sale for Second Half of 2021-22 Season - Providence Bruins
- Panthers Recall Aleksi Heponiemi - Charlotte Checkers
- Ducks Reassign Groulx and Lettieri to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- St. Louis Blues Recall F Dakota Joshua from T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Islanders and Phantoms Square off at 7:05 p.m. - Bridgeport Islanders
- 5 Things: Heat at Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Marlies Host Monsters in Second Half of Back-To-Back - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Look for Weekend Sweep Saturday at Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Wolf Pack Look for Third Straight Victory over Rival Thunderbirds - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game #14: Abbotsford at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Illinois Rivalry Ramps up as IceHogs and Wolves Clash Tonight in Rosemont - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners Score Four Unanswered Goals, Take Down Canucks In First-Ever Matchup - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Complete Sweep of San Jose - San Diego Gulls
- Colorado Nipped by Heat, 3-2 in Overtime - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Checkers Stories
- Third-Period Explosion Lifts Checkers over Lehigh Valley
- Panthers Recall Chase Priskie, Assign Evan Fitzpatrick to Charlotte
- Kraken Assign Alexander True to Checkers
- Checkers Rack up Four Straight Goals to Take Down Thunderbirds
- Matt Kiersted Returns to Florida