Comets Goaltender Schmid's First Shutout Lifts Team to Victory
Utica, NY - After suffering their first defeat of the season, the Utica Comets recovered nicely on the road with a 1-0 victory against the Charlotte Checkers.
After a scoreless first period, the Comets were rewarded a two-man advantage power-play, and it was Alexander Holtz who setup his countryman Fabian Zetterlund for the one-timer that found its way past Charlotte goalie Joey Daccord to make it a 1-0 game at 7:46 of the period. Despite power-play opportunities that followed for both teams, after forty minutes the game remained 1-0 for the Comets.
In the final period of regulation, the star of the show became Comets netminder Akira Schmid who stopped shot after shot and help secure the victory and his first professional shutout.
The Comets went 1 for 6 on the man advantage while the Checkers went 0 for 6 on the night. Charlotte outshot the Comets 26 to 17. Both teams will be action in Charlotte again tomorrow with a 3:00 PM puck drop.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 27, 2021
- First-Place Wolves Rally Again - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Push Hard in 3rd But Isles Hang On - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- American Hockey League Postpones Hershey Bears Games Through Wednesday - AHL
- Amerks Double up Crunch for Third Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Surpassed by Amerks, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears vs. Phantoms Games on November 28 and December 1 Postponded - Hershey Bears
- Phantoms vs. Hershey Postponed November 28 and December 1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Senyshyn Leads the Way with a Hat Trick as P-Bruins Defeat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Stumble in Third Period, Lose to Bruins, 5-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Red-Hot Comets Shut out Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Goaltender Schmid's First Shutout Lifts Team to Victory - Utica Comets
- Eagles Reassign Burzan, Bradley to ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Utilize Big Second Period to Blast Stockton, 5-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Clipped by Eagles Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Moose Rebound by Topping Stars 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Keep Point Streak Alive in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Combine with Several Partners to Present Army Vet with Restored Car - Charlotte Checkers
- Tim Army Earns 100th Win as Wild Head Coach as Iowa Defeats Henderson, 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Damiani Scores Late But Stars Fall 4-1 in Winnipeg - Texas Stars
- Silver Knights Defeated, 2-1, by Wild - Henderson Silver Knights
- T-Birds Exact Payback on Wolf Pack with 4-2 Win - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Wolf Pack See Point Streak Snapped at the Hands of the Springfield Thunderbirds 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Kraken Recall Riley Sheahan - Charlotte Checkers
- P-Bruins Announce Tickets on Sale for Second Half of 2021-22 Season - Providence Bruins
- Panthers Recall Aleksi Heponiemi - Charlotte Checkers
- Ducks Reassign Groulx and Lettieri to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- St. Louis Blues Recall F Dakota Joshua from T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Islanders and Phantoms Square off at 7:05 p.m. - Bridgeport Islanders
- 5 Things: Heat at Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Marlies Host Monsters in Second Half of Back-To-Back - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Look for Weekend Sweep Saturday at Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Wolf Pack Look for Third Straight Victory over Rival Thunderbirds - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game #14: Abbotsford at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Illinois Rivalry Ramps up as IceHogs and Wolves Clash Tonight in Rosemont - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners Score Four Unanswered Goals, Take Down Canucks In First-Ever Matchup - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Complete Sweep of San Jose - San Diego Gulls
- Colorado Nipped by Heat, 3-2 in Overtime - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.