Thunder Falls 5-2 in Boise to Close Trip
Boise, ID - Wichita closed its three-game western swing on Saturday night, losing to Idaho by the final of 5-2 at CenturyLink Arena.
Steven Iacobellis and Fabrizio Ricci tallied the Thunder markers in the losing effort.
After giving up the first goal in the first two games of the road trip, Wichita found the net when Ricci caught a pass from Garrett Schmitz and fired it home to make it 1-0. Will Merchant tied the game at 12:03 after tipping in a shot from the blue line that got up past Mitch Gillam. Iacobellis answered three minutes later as he took a pass from Patrik Parkkonen down the left seam and beat Colton Point with a shot past his glove to make it 2-1.
Idaho scored twice in the second to grab its first lead of the game. At 1:44, Brady Norrish notched his first of the season to tie the game at one. Just four minutes later, Jeff King tallied his first as well when his initial shot missed the net and went near the goal line. Marc-Olivier Roy got to it first after the puck hit the glass and he found King in the slot for the goal to make it 3-2.
Garrett Schmitz appeared to tie the game in the third period on the power play when he bombed one from the left circle. The goal was disallowed as Stefan Fournier skated near the top of the crease and it was ruled he made contact with Point. Idaho took advantage and Will Merchent increased the lead to 4-2 with his second of the game at 8:19. Wichita pulled Gillam with over less than two minutes to go, but Colton Saucerman rifled a shot from behind his own net that went the length of the ice and into the Thunder cage to make it 5-2.
Ricci collected his first goal of the season while Peter Crinella added his first point as a pro with an assist. Iacobellis tallied his second goal of the year with assists to Parkkonen and Beau Starrett.
Wichita returns home to close out a three-game mini series against the Steelheads on Friday, October 25th starting at 7:05 p.m.
The Thunder are excited to be the host of the 2020 Warrior Hockey/ECHL All-Star Classic, presented by Toyota, on Wednesday January 22nd, 2020. Get your tickets now for the league's annual showcase that features some of the best young talent across the ECHL.
Season tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now. Get your seats for just $34 per month. All it takes is a $1 deposit per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 19, 2019
- Thunder Falls 5-2 in Boise to Close Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Second Period Burst Sends 'Blades Past Norfolk on Opening Night - Florida Everblades
- Glads Hop Past Swamp Rabbits in First Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Fuel Fall to Nailers in the Last Minute of Play - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Doubled up by Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Serve Swamp Rabbits First Loss - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Sadowy Strikes Twice Late in K-Wings' Home-Opening OT Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Come from Behind to Beat Railers, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Rays Take Down Solar Bears 4-2 in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Siebenaler Wins It in the Final Minute for Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Drop Penalty-Filled Overtime Affair - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Worcester Railers Two Game Win Streak Comes to An End in Glens Falls - Worcester Railers HC
- Reading Bested in Home Opener, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Spoil Reading Royals Home Opener with 5-3 Win - Maine Mariners
- Offensive Explosion Helps Beast Down Growlers - Brampton Beast
- Growlers Fall 7-5 to the Beast - Newfoundland Growlers
- 'Blades Open Home Schedule against Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday Capsule: Allen vs. Utah - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - October 19 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Marlies Assign Alex Gudbranson to the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Closes Road Trip Tonight in Boise - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Acquire Eric Israel from Fort Wayne - Rapid City Rush
- Zach Sawchenko Recalled from Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komets Hammer Nailers 7-3 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Marlies Recall Zach O'Brien from the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Utah Grizzlies Game Preview: October 18th at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Home Opener vs. Maine Saturday - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Sell out Home Opener, Start with 2-1 OT Win over Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Go Beast Mode in 10-4 Win at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Comeback Falls Short in OT Loss at Idaho - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.