Worcester Railers Two Game Win Streak Comes to An End in Glens Falls
Glens Falls, NY - The Worcester Railers HC (2-1-0-0, 4pts) lost for the first time this season in their first road game in a 3-2 loss to the host the Adirondack Thunder (2-1-0-1, 4pts)on Saturday evening in front of 4,283 fans at the Cool Insuring Arena. The Railers are back in action on Friday, October 25 with a 7pm battle back at the Cool Insuring Arena in Glens Falls, NY vs. the Adirondack Thunder.
Tanner Pond scored in his second straight game while Cody Payne scored his first professional goal to give Worcester a 2-0 lead. However, Charlie Curti scored his first two professional goals as the Thunder would go on to score three unanswered goals to prevail 3-2 on their opening night. Former Railer Eamon Mcadam made 33 saves on 35 shots while Evan Buitenhuis made 19 saves on 22 shots in his first start of the season.
There was no score two show for after the first period as Evan Buitenhuis stopped all 16 shots he faced. Cody Payne and Michael Sdao would get into a skirmish but would only be assessed double minors for roughing at 8:51. Worcester outshot Adirondack 16-8 through the first 20 minutes of play.
The second period was action packed with the Railers getting on the board at 5:45 on the power play thanks to a laser from Tanner Pond (2nd) with the assist going to Mike Cornell and Ivan Chukarov. Worcester would increase their lead to 2-0 with Cody Payne (1st) scoring beating Eamon McAdam low blocker at 11:03. In the final minutes of the middle frame Charlie Curti (1st) would find the back of the net with a wrister from the top of the right circle past the glove side of Evan Buitenhuis at 17:34. The Railers would take a 2-1 lead into the dressing room after 40 minutes of play as Buitenhuis stopped eight of nine shots he faced. Worcester led in shots 32-17 after the second period.
Adirondack would tie the game at 2-2 at 8:41 of the third period thanks to Charlie Curti (2nd) who fired one past Buitenhuis in the high slot. The Thunder would take their first lead of the game when Kelly Summers (1st) was able to sneak one past Buitenhuis at 16:15 giving the home team a 3-2 lead. The Railers pulled Buitenhuis in the final two minutes of the period and had several good chances but McAdam came up multiple big saves as the Thunder won 3-2.
Notes: Three Stars: 3rd star: Kelly Summers (1-0-1) 2nd star: Eamon McAdam (33 saves, Win) 1st star: Charlie Curti (2-0-2) .... final shots were 35-22 in favor of Worcester...Eamon McAdam (2-0-1) made 33 saves on 35 shots ... Evan Buitenhuis (0-1-0) made 19 saves on 22 shots for Worcester while Jakub Skarek served as the backup.... Jake Bolton made his Railers debut finishing with two shots..... Worcester went 1-for-2 on the power play while Adirondack went 0-for-4.... Tanner Pond (2-1-3) extended his point streak to three games.....Anthony Florentino (inj), Henrik Samuelsson (inj), Chris Rygus, Ross Olsson, and Drew Callin did not dress for Worcester..... Barry Almeida wore the C while Mike Cornell and Jordan Samuels-Thomas wore A's for the Railers....Worcester dressed three rookies and four veterans...Nic Pierog led all skaters with 6 shots..... Kyle Thomas finished +1....Worcester is now 16-7-2-0 all-time vs. the Thunder and 9-4-1-0 at the Cool Insuring Arena.
What's on tap - Back in Adirondack!
The Railers will be back in Glens Falls, NY next Friday, October 25 with a 7pm faceoff vs. the Adirondack Thunder. Coverage begins at 6:30pm on 98.9 Nash Icon. The Railers return home on Nov 1 on HOCKEY FIGHTS CANCER NIGHT followed by a W6 TRIBUTE NIGHT with a GUNS N HOSES DOUBLEHEADER featuring RAY BOURQUE presented by Berkshire Bank on Nov 2.
Still and Stir located behind the DCU Center provides hockey fans with a great pregame and postgame atmosphere all season long. Watch all road games broadcast live on ECHLTV.com for a small fee. Listen to all Railers games live on 98.9 Nash ICON with coverage beginning 30 minutes before puck drop with Eric Lindquist and Cam McGuire. Full season memberships, mini plans, and group tickets are on sale now by calling the Railers front office at 508-365-1750 or by visiting www.RailersHC.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 19, 2019
- Thunder Falls 5-2 in Boise to Close Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Second Period Burst Sends 'Blades Past Norfolk on Opening Night - Florida Everblades
- Glads Hop Past Swamp Rabbits in First Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Fuel Fall to Nailers in the Last Minute of Play - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Doubled up by Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Serve Swamp Rabbits First Loss - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Sadowy Strikes Twice Late in K-Wings' Home-Opening OT Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Come from Behind to Beat Railers, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Rays Take Down Solar Bears 4-2 in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Siebenaler Wins It in the Final Minute for Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Drop Penalty-Filled Overtime Affair - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Worcester Railers Two Game Win Streak Comes to An End in Glens Falls - Worcester Railers HC
- Reading Bested in Home Opener, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Spoil Reading Royals Home Opener with 5-3 Win - Maine Mariners
- Offensive Explosion Helps Beast Down Growlers - Brampton Beast
- Growlers Fall 7-5 to the Beast - Newfoundland Growlers
- 'Blades Open Home Schedule against Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday Capsule: Allen vs. Utah - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - October 19 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Marlies Assign Alex Gudbranson to the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Closes Road Trip Tonight in Boise - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Acquire Eric Israel from Fort Wayne - Rapid City Rush
- Zach Sawchenko Recalled from Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komets Hammer Nailers 7-3 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Marlies Recall Zach O'Brien from the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Utah Grizzlies Game Preview: October 18th at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Home Opener vs. Maine Saturday - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Sell out Home Opener, Start with 2-1 OT Win over Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Go Beast Mode in 10-4 Win at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Comeback Falls Short in OT Loss at Idaho - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Railers HC Stories
- Railers Come up Short on the Rock Falling 3-2
- Railers up Big Early But Fall Late in Newfoundland
- Railers Register First Shutout of Season with 2-0 Win in Brampton
- Railers Lose 4-2 in First Ever Meeting With Indy Fuel
- Dante Salituro Records Hat Trick in Coach Cunniff's First Win as a Railer