Fuel Fall to Nailers in the Last Minute of Play
WHEELING, WV. - The Indy Fuel (2-1-0-0) fall to the Wheeling Nailers (1-2-0-0) in a heart breaking loss in the last minute of the third period at the Wesbanco Arena Saturday night.
With the teams tied at 3-3 for the duration of the third period the game appeared as if it was headed towards extra time. However, the Nailers had other plans as Yushiroh Hirano fired a one timer from the right circle that bounced off of goaltender Charles Williams chest and Blake Siebenaler squeezed it into the corner of the net to lift the Nailers to victory at 19:36.
Wheeling started the scoring for the night when Alec Butcher drove to the net from the left circle dragging the puck with him until he was able to force it into to the right corner of the goal. The Fuel answered with two minutes left to go in the first, capitalizing on the power play Derian Plouffe rocked a wrist shot from the left circle that went over net minder Jordan Ruby's shoulder. Not long after the Nailers followed up with a backhanded shot from Cam Brown in the right crease to tip the scale to 2-1 at the end of the first.
In a game of touch and go the Nailers and the Fuel would exchange goals throughout the second and third period.
Graham Knott got his first goal with the Fuel at 2:02 in the second after coming out of the box at the end of a Wheeling power play and found himself wide open in front of the net and tapped in a pass from Sam Kurker to tie the game once again.
Butcher got his second of the night flicking in a rebound off of Lucas Kohls original shot at 10:23. The Fuel took advantage of the power play once again at 15:47 as Spencer Watson launched a shot from the top of the left circle to tie the game at 3-3 at the end of the second when Siebenaler would go on to brake the tie for a Nailers win.
The Fuel went two for four on the power play tonight and five for five on the penalty kill. Williams had 23 saves on 27 shots and Ruby had 26 saves on 29 shots.
The Nailers and the Fuel match up again tomorrow at Wesbanco Arena for a 4:05 pm puck drop.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 19, 2019
- Thunder Falls 5-2 in Boise to Close Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Second Period Burst Sends 'Blades Past Norfolk on Opening Night - Florida Everblades
- Glads Hop Past Swamp Rabbits in First Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Fuel Fall to Nailers in the Last Minute of Play - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Doubled up by Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Serve Swamp Rabbits First Loss - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Sadowy Strikes Twice Late in K-Wings' Home-Opening OT Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Come from Behind to Beat Railers, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Rays Take Down Solar Bears 4-2 in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Siebenaler Wins It in the Final Minute for Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Drop Penalty-Filled Overtime Affair - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Worcester Railers Two Game Win Streak Comes to An End in Glens Falls - Worcester Railers HC
- Reading Bested in Home Opener, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Spoil Reading Royals Home Opener with 5-3 Win - Maine Mariners
- Offensive Explosion Helps Beast Down Growlers - Brampton Beast
- Growlers Fall 7-5 to the Beast - Newfoundland Growlers
- 'Blades Open Home Schedule against Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday Capsule: Allen vs. Utah - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - October 19 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Marlies Assign Alex Gudbranson to the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Closes Road Trip Tonight in Boise - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Acquire Eric Israel from Fort Wayne - Rapid City Rush
- Zach Sawchenko Recalled from Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komets Hammer Nailers 7-3 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Marlies Recall Zach O'Brien from the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Utah Grizzlies Game Preview: October 18th at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Home Opener vs. Maine Saturday - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Sell out Home Opener, Start with 2-1 OT Win over Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Go Beast Mode in 10-4 Win at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Comeback Falls Short in OT Loss at Idaho - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.