Sadowy Strikes Twice Late in K-Wings' Home-Opening OT Win
KALAMAZOO, MI - All it took was six seconds into the new seven-minute overtime for Dylan Sadowy and the Kalamazoo Wings (1-1-0-0) to send their 3,560 fans home happy on opening night Saturday at Wings Event Center.
Sadowy redirected a Tanner Sorenson pass into the net six seconds into the extra frame as the K-Wings topped the Cincinnati Cyclones (1-0-1-0), 4-3.
Kalamazoo led early in the first period and again in the second period, but Cincinnati had an answer each time. Then with 4:28 remaining in regulation, reigning league MVP Jesse Schultz capped off a 2-on-1 to give the Cyclones their first lead, 3-2.
With goaltender Jake Hildebrand pulled for an extra attacker, Sadowy jammed in Kalamazoo's first power play goal of the season on a 6-on-4 advantage to even the score at 3-3 with 1:27 left.
Rookie Brennan Sanford opened the scoring 4:09 into the game with his first professional goal, a rebound stuffed into the open net with Cyclones goaltender Michael Houser out of position. Cincinnati had an answer, as Mason Mitchell saw his shot deflect off of a stick and over Hildebrand's glove 1:17 later.
Yannick Vielleux put the K-Wings back in front on a crazy play in the second period. The veteran's stick got stuck behind Cincinnati's net in the Zamboni doors and while the play returned to Kalamazoo's zone, Vielleux went to the bench for a replacement. Seconds later, he caught a pass and scored on a breakaway with his new stick to make it 2-1.
In the midst of a penalty-riddled second period that saw three fights and 76 combined penalty minutes, John Edwardh scored a power play goal to tie things up at 2-2 for Cincinnati.
Hildebrand stopped 28 shots to earn his first win of the season, while Houser stopped 18 in the overtime loss.
The K-Wings next host the Fort Wayne Komets at 7:00 p.m. Wednesday at Wings Event Center in the first 2-6-9 Night of the season. Fans can enjoy $2 hot dogs, beer and soda, take advantage of $6 wing baskets and purchase tickets for just $9 for any Wednesday home game.
2019-20 K-Wings prorated season tickets, partial plans and 5-packs are on sale now! Visit kwings.com/tickets for details.
Book your group for one of Kalamazoo's five biggest games and every member of the group will receive a K-Wings knit hat. Head to kwings.com/groups for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 19, 2019
- Thunder Falls 5-2 in Boise to Close Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Second Period Burst Sends 'Blades Past Norfolk on Opening Night - Florida Everblades
- Glads Hop Past Swamp Rabbits in First Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Fuel Fall to Nailers in the Last Minute of Play - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Doubled up by Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Serve Swamp Rabbits First Loss - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Sadowy Strikes Twice Late in K-Wings' Home-Opening OT Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Come from Behind to Beat Railers, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Rays Take Down Solar Bears 4-2 in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Siebenaler Wins It in the Final Minute for Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Drop Penalty-Filled Overtime Affair - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Worcester Railers Two Game Win Streak Comes to An End in Glens Falls - Worcester Railers HC
- Reading Bested in Home Opener, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Spoil Reading Royals Home Opener with 5-3 Win - Maine Mariners
- Offensive Explosion Helps Beast Down Growlers - Brampton Beast
- Growlers Fall 7-5 to the Beast - Newfoundland Growlers
- 'Blades Open Home Schedule against Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday Capsule: Allen vs. Utah - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - October 19 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Marlies Assign Alex Gudbranson to the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Closes Road Trip Tonight in Boise - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Acquire Eric Israel from Fort Wayne - Rapid City Rush
- Zach Sawchenko Recalled from Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komets Hammer Nailers 7-3 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Marlies Recall Zach O'Brien from the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Utah Grizzlies Game Preview: October 18th at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Home Opener vs. Maine Saturday - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Sell out Home Opener, Start with 2-1 OT Win over Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Go Beast Mode in 10-4 Win at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Comeback Falls Short in OT Loss at Idaho - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.