Reading Bested in Home Opener, 5-3
Reading, PA- Reading Royals forward Matthew Gaudreau scored in the third period to bring Reading within one, but the Maine Mariners scored a couple of insurance goals and took Reading's home opener, 5-3, Saturday at Santander Arena.
Gaudreau and Frank DiChiara each registered two points (1g). Ralph Cuddemi added his third goal of the season with 40.9 seconds to go in the third.
Felix SandstrÃ¶m blocked 31 shots (5 GA) in defeat. Tom McCollum picked up Maine's first win of the season with 44 saves (3 GA). Reading had 33 shots on goal through the first two frames, but the Royals trailed by two entering the third.
The Royals are home Sun., Oct. 20 at 4:00 p.m. vs. Maine; it's the first Kids Club Game of the season, a postgame skate presented by Body Zone, plus $1 hot dogs, $1 nachos and $1 sodas.
The 2019-20 season is pres. by Tower Health UPMC Health Plan.
Single-game tickets and mini-plans are on sale by visiting royalshockey.com/promotions, calling 610-898-7825 and visiting Santander Arena and The Weidenhammer Box Office at 700 Penn Street, Reading, PA.
DiChiara, Gaudreau, Cuddemi stay on track
Frank DiChiara and Ralph Cuddemi each scored their team-leading third goals of the season, while Matthew Gaudreau's second helped him hit four points in his first four games. DiChiara tied the game with 3:09 left in the first, sniping a left-circle shot to the far post. Gaudreau and Rob Michel assisted.
Gaudreau scored at 8:40 of the third on the man up, lasering a left-dot snipe short side, with help from Olivier Labelle and DiChiara. The strike brought Reading within one, 3-2. With Reading down three in the final minute, Cuddemi stashed in at net front to make it a 5-3 game.
Maine scores key goals to extend lead
The Mariners scored twice in the second and twice in the third, cutting off potential Royals comebacks. Ryan Culkin gave the Mariners their second lead, 2-1, with a slap shot from the deep slot at 7:28 of the middle frame. Ty Ronning sniped another goal in for Maine short side nine minutes later. Ronning took the game's first star with two goals and three points and scored again with 4:02 to go in the third.
With Reading within one and 7:28 to go, Terrance Wallin received a feed from Ronning across the zone line and tipped it over SandstrÃ¶m's shoulder at the left post. That strike provided the Mariners a 4-2 advantage.
Reading went 1-for-2 on the man up and allowed two power-play goals on four Maine opportunites.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 19, 2019
- Thunder Falls 5-2 in Boise to Close Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Second Period Burst Sends 'Blades Past Norfolk on Opening Night - Florida Everblades
- Glads Hop Past Swamp Rabbits in First Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Fuel Fall to Nailers in the Last Minute of Play - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Doubled up by Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Serve Swamp Rabbits First Loss - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Sadowy Strikes Twice Late in K-Wings' Home-Opening OT Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Come from Behind to Beat Railers, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Rays Take Down Solar Bears 4-2 in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Siebenaler Wins It in the Final Minute for Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Drop Penalty-Filled Overtime Affair - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Worcester Railers Two Game Win Streak Comes to An End in Glens Falls - Worcester Railers HC
- Reading Bested in Home Opener, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Spoil Reading Royals Home Opener with 5-3 Win - Maine Mariners
- Offensive Explosion Helps Beast Down Growlers - Brampton Beast
- Growlers Fall 7-5 to the Beast - Newfoundland Growlers
- 'Blades Open Home Schedule against Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday Capsule: Allen vs. Utah - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - October 19 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Marlies Assign Alex Gudbranson to the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Closes Road Trip Tonight in Boise - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Acquire Eric Israel from Fort Wayne - Rapid City Rush
- Zach Sawchenko Recalled from Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komets Hammer Nailers 7-3 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Marlies Recall Zach O'Brien from the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Utah Grizzlies Game Preview: October 18th at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Home Opener vs. Maine Saturday - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Sell out Home Opener, Start with 2-1 OT Win over Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Go Beast Mode in 10-4 Win at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Comeback Falls Short in OT Loss at Idaho - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.