'Blades Open Home Schedule against Admirals
ESTERO, Fla. - The Florida Everblades (2-0-0, 4 pts.) open their home schedule with a matchup against the Norfolk Admirals (1-2-0, 2 pts.) on Saturday night at Hertz Arena for Opening Night presented by Hertz.
Game 3: Everblades vs. Norfolk
When: 7 p.m. ET
Where: Hertz Arena
Watch: ECHL TV
Listen: WJBX (101.5 FM, 104.3 FM, 770 AM)
Social: Twitter | Instagram
Last time out
Tanner Jeannot registered the Everblades first multi-goal game of the season and Blake Winiecki, Justin Auger and Zach Magwood also added tallies to help Florida finish off a sweep of the Norfolk Admirals last Saturday with a 5-2 win at the Norfolk Scope. Making his 'Blades debut, Cam Johnson turned aside 19 shots to pick up his first win of the season. Cam Maclise notched two assists for his second straight multi-point game to start the season.
RECAP | BOX SCORE
Saturday marks Florida's third straight game against the Admirals, but it will be the final matchup between the two teams until Feb. 22, which is the final meeting between the sides this season. Florida finished last season with a 6-1-1 record against Norfolk, which included a 4-1-0 mark at Hertz Arena. The Everblades have a commanding edge in the all-time series, which dates back to the 2015-16 season, and have an 18-2-3 overall record against Norfolk.
Players to Watch
Ken Appleby (FLA) - Appleby will make his first home start of the regular season at Hertz Arena on Saturday after picking up his first win of the season last Friday against Norfolk. The fifth-year pro made 28 saves on 31 shots in last Friday's season-opening win. He's familiar with Hertz Arena after playing with the Jacksonville Icemen last season. In his only start in Estero, Appleby faced 47 shots and made 45 saves in a 3-2 loss to Florida on Dec. 5, 2018. Coincidentally, that hard-luck loss for Appleby propelled Florida into first place for the first time in the season, a position it then held the rest of the year.
Christian Horn (NOR) - Horn scored his second goal of the season in Norfolk's win on Friday in Orlando. His first came against the Everblades last Friday, a game that also saw him put up a team-leading five shots on goal. In six games against the Everblades last season -- three of them with South Carolina and three with Norfolk -- Horn put up five points (2g-3a).
The Everblades have been quite successful in both season and home openers. Including the win last Friday, Florida is now 17-4-1 in season-opening contests. The Everblades are slightly better in home openers and have recorded a 17-3-1 mark in the first home game of the season at Hertz Arena. The 'Blades are 2-1-0 in home openers under Brad Ralph, with the only loss coming last year against the Norfolk Admirals, a 1-0 setback on Oct. 19, 2018. Merrick Madsen made 32 saves to shut out the Everblades and Matt McMorrow scored the only goal of that game, coming 11:42 into the opening period.
Admirals Coming Off Win
Norfolk enters Saturday's contest after a big win over the Orlando Solar Bears on Friday in Orlando, the Admirals first win of the 2019-20 campaign. Leading by one in the last two minutes of the game, the Admirals scored a crucial goal from Alex Rodriguez to help seal the victory. Norfolk netminder Brandon Halverson was huge between the pipes and needed to make 49 saves to backstop Norfolk to the victory. Norfolk's win was also the first for first-year head coach Rod Taylor.
The 'Blades finished with the second-highest home win total in the ECHL last season with 27 victories. The strong home record is nothing new under head coach Brad Ralph. Through his first three seasons, Ralph has helped lead Florida to 79 home victories, the highest home win total in the ECHL in that three-year span.
Florida begins its in-state rivalry with the Orlando Solar Bears next weekend with a home-and-home series on Friday and Saturday. The Everblades travel to Orlando for Friday's weekend opener and then return to Estero for Saturday's matchup.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 19, 2019
- Thunder Falls 5-2 in Boise to Close Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Second Period Burst Sends 'Blades Past Norfolk on Opening Night - Florida Everblades
- Glads Hop Past Swamp Rabbits in First Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Fuel Fall to Nailers in the Last Minute of Play - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Doubled up by Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Serve Swamp Rabbits First Loss - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Sadowy Strikes Twice Late in K-Wings' Home-Opening OT Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Come from Behind to Beat Railers, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Rays Take Down Solar Bears 4-2 in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Siebenaler Wins It in the Final Minute for Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Drop Penalty-Filled Overtime Affair - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Worcester Railers Two Game Win Streak Comes to An End in Glens Falls - Worcester Railers HC
- Reading Bested in Home Opener, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Spoil Reading Royals Home Opener with 5-3 Win - Maine Mariners
- Offensive Explosion Helps Beast Down Growlers - Brampton Beast
- Growlers Fall 7-5 to the Beast - Newfoundland Growlers
- 'Blades Open Home Schedule against Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday Capsule: Allen vs. Utah - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - October 19 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Marlies Assign Alex Gudbranson to the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Closes Road Trip Tonight in Boise - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Acquire Eric Israel from Fort Wayne - Rapid City Rush
- Zach Sawchenko Recalled from Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komets Hammer Nailers 7-3 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Marlies Recall Zach O'Brien from the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Utah Grizzlies Game Preview: October 18th at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Home Opener vs. Maine Saturday - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Sell out Home Opener, Start with 2-1 OT Win over Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Go Beast Mode in 10-4 Win at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Comeback Falls Short in OT Loss at Idaho - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Sunny Side: 'Blades Topple Solar Bears for Fifth Straight Win in Series
- Fierce Finish:Five Unanswered Goals Push 'Blades Past Solar Bears
- 'Blades Wrap up Homestand with Rivalry Tilt against Orlando
- This Week: Homestand Wraps up Wednesday as Part of 4-Game Week
- Everblades' Big Rally Not Enough in 4-3 Loss to IceMen