Cyclones Drop Penalty-Filled Overtime Affair
Kalamazoo, MI - The Cincinnati Cyclones (1-0-1-0) fell to the Kalamazoo Wings, 4-3 in overtime, on Saturday night. Forwards Mason Mitchell, John Edwardh, and Jesse Schultz netted the goals for Cincinnati. The physicality was ramped up in the contest as well, as the teams combined for 86 minutes in penalties.
After the Wings took a 1-0 lead early in the first on a goal from Brennan Sanford , Cincinnati evened up the game at the 5:26 mark when Mitchell skated into the offensive zone and tossed a shot over the glove of Kalamazoo goaltender Jake Hildebrand to tie the game, 1-1.
The 1-1 score held up throughout the remainder of the opening period, and 3:44 into the second, Kalamazoo regained the lead when forward Yannick Veilleux found the back of the net to put the Wings up, 2-1.
The Kalamazoo momentum was short-lived, as roughly five minutes later while on the power play, forward Darik Angeli took a shot that ricocheted off the end boards right to Edwardh out front, and he jammed the puck home to re-tie the game, 2-2, after 40 minutes.
The teams traded quality scoring chances all throughout the third, and at the 15:32 mark, Schultz took a pass on the backdoor from Edwardh and scored to give Cincinnati their first lead of the night, 3-2.
The Wings were not deterred, and with 1:27 left in the third while on the power play and with the goaltender pulled, forward Dylan Sadowy lit the lamp to bring Kalamazoo back level, 3-3, and force overtime. Kalamazoo needed just six seconds of overtime to take down the Cyclones, as Sadowy tipped in his second power play tally of the night to lift the Wings to a 4-3 overtime win.
Cincinnati outshot the Wings, 31-22 on the night, with goaltender Michael Houser stopping 18 in defeat. Cincinnati next heads to Indy to battle the Fuel on Friday night, with the face-off slated for 7:35pm ET.
The 2019-20 Cincinnati Cyclones season is upon us! The defending Brabham Cup champion Cyclones are looking to build off of last season's success, and we invite YOU to join us for the ride! Single game tickets, along with season and group ticket packages for every game this season are on sale now, and you can get more info by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com !
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 19, 2019
- Thunder Falls 5-2 in Boise to Close Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Second Period Burst Sends 'Blades Past Norfolk on Opening Night - Florida Everblades
- Glads Hop Past Swamp Rabbits in First Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Fuel Fall to Nailers in the Last Minute of Play - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Doubled up by Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Serve Swamp Rabbits First Loss - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Sadowy Strikes Twice Late in K-Wings' Home-Opening OT Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Come from Behind to Beat Railers, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Rays Take Down Solar Bears 4-2 in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Siebenaler Wins It in the Final Minute for Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Drop Penalty-Filled Overtime Affair - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Worcester Railers Two Game Win Streak Comes to An End in Glens Falls - Worcester Railers HC
- Reading Bested in Home Opener, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Spoil Reading Royals Home Opener with 5-3 Win - Maine Mariners
- Offensive Explosion Helps Beast Down Growlers - Brampton Beast
- Growlers Fall 7-5 to the Beast - Newfoundland Growlers
- 'Blades Open Home Schedule against Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday Capsule: Allen vs. Utah - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - October 19 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Marlies Assign Alex Gudbranson to the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Closes Road Trip Tonight in Boise - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Acquire Eric Israel from Fort Wayne - Rapid City Rush
- Zach Sawchenko Recalled from Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komets Hammer Nailers 7-3 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Marlies Recall Zach O'Brien from the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Utah Grizzlies Game Preview: October 18th at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Home Opener vs. Maine Saturday - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Sell out Home Opener, Start with 2-1 OT Win over Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Go Beast Mode in 10-4 Win at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Comeback Falls Short in OT Loss at Idaho - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.