Steelheads Sell out Home Opener, Start with 2-1 OT Win over Thunder
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (3-0-0) opened the home schedule on a high note, taking down the Wichita Thunder (1-1-2) with a 2-1 overtime win on Friday night at CenturyLink Arena in front of a sellout crowd of 5,036 fans.
The Steelheads picked up where they left off in the first period with another strong offensive showing to open the game and tallied the game's first goal. At 15:49, forward A.J. White fed an open Will Merchant off the left post for a one-time shot on the power play for his first goal of the year and a 1-0 lead.
The second period saw a leveling from both sides with a split shot total and a lockdown defensively, forcing a push in the third period. In that frame, the Thunder found the answer they needed at 13:26 on a net-front scramble allowing a push from forward Chris Crane to level the score, 1-1, and force overtime for the first time this season.
In overtime, the Steelheads controlled the pace for much of the frame and found the final goal as the payoff. Steelheads defenseman Colton Saucerman gained the edge around the waiting defenseman and put in a loose puck on a second effort off the left post at 4:09, sealing the 2-1 overtime win and the first win on home ice of the 2019-20 regular season.
Steelheads goaltender Tomas Sholl (3-0-0) halted 24 of 25 shots in the win, while Thunder netminder Mitch Gillam (1-1-1) turned aside 39 of 41 shots in the overtime loss.
The Steelheads close Home Opening Weekend against the Thunder on Saturday, Oct. 19 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena. Tickets are available for the 7:10 p.m. puck drop by calling 208-331-TIXS (8497) or going online to idahosteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350-AM KTIK and at 7:00 p.m. on Sparklight Ch. 72 & ECHL.TV.
Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to plan your seats for this season, including single-game, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 19, 2019
- Thunder Falls 5-2 in Boise to Close Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Second Period Burst Sends 'Blades Past Norfolk on Opening Night - Florida Everblades
- Glads Hop Past Swamp Rabbits in First Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Fuel Fall to Nailers in the Last Minute of Play - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Doubled up by Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Serve Swamp Rabbits First Loss - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Sadowy Strikes Twice Late in K-Wings' Home-Opening OT Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Come from Behind to Beat Railers, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Rays Take Down Solar Bears 4-2 in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Siebenaler Wins It in the Final Minute for Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Drop Penalty-Filled Overtime Affair - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Worcester Railers Two Game Win Streak Comes to An End in Glens Falls - Worcester Railers HC
- Reading Bested in Home Opener, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Spoil Reading Royals Home Opener with 5-3 Win - Maine Mariners
- Offensive Explosion Helps Beast Down Growlers - Brampton Beast
- Growlers Fall 7-5 to the Beast - Newfoundland Growlers
- 'Blades Open Home Schedule against Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday Capsule: Allen vs. Utah - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - October 19 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Marlies Assign Alex Gudbranson to the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Closes Road Trip Tonight in Boise - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Acquire Eric Israel from Fort Wayne - Rapid City Rush
- Zach Sawchenko Recalled from Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komets Hammer Nailers 7-3 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Marlies Recall Zach O'Brien from the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Utah Grizzlies Game Preview: October 18th at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Home Opener vs. Maine Saturday - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Sell out Home Opener, Start with 2-1 OT Win over Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Go Beast Mode in 10-4 Win at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Comeback Falls Short in OT Loss at Idaho - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.