Siebenaler Wins It in the Final Minute for Wheeling
WHEELING, WV- The Wheeling Nailers won their home opener in dramatic fashion on Saturday night, as a last-minute goal was the difference in a 4-3 victory over the Indy Fuel at WesBanco Arena. Blake Siebenaler fished out a loose puck in front of the net, snapping the deadlock for the first win of the year. Alec Butcher also had a strong night for the Nailers, collecting a pair of goals.
Wheeling's first home stanza was a solid one, as it lit the lamp twice to take the lead. The first goal came at the 5:59 mark. Macoy Erkamps backhanded the puck to Alec Butcher, who drove the net from the left side, and had enough force to push the puck through Charles Williams. Derian Plouffe briefly tied the score for the Fuel on wrist shot from the left side of the slot, but with under a minute to go, Cam Brown regained the lead for the Nailers, backhanding in a loose puck on the right side of the crease. The goal gave Brown 100 points in his ECHL career.
The teams exchanged goals in the middle frame, resulting in a 3-3 deadlock. Butcher notched his second of the evening, when he poked home the rebound of Lucas Kohls' initial shot, which rang off the right post. However, that marker was surrounded by Graham Knotts and Spencer Watson, who tallied for Indy. Watson's was the second strike on the man advantage for the visitors.
The tilt stayed tied until the final minute of play, when Blake Siebenaler's first goal in a Wheeling uniform lifted his club to an enormous home triumph. Yushiroh Hirano crashed the net with the initial attempt, which got stopped, but Siebenaler was there to deposit the rebound. The Nailers didn't allow any chances in the closing seconds, preserving the 4-3 final.
Jordan Ruby earned the win in his first start of the season for Wheeling, denying 26 of the 29 shots he faced. Charles Williams took the loss for the Fuel, making 23 saves on 27 shots.
The Nailers and Fuel will meet again on Sunday at 4:05 for Spike's Birthday. Pittsburgh Penguins mascot Iceburgh will be there for the celebration. Another exciting upcoming promotion is Nailers Fight Cancer on Saturday, October 26th. Fans can purchase a Love Your Melon Ticket Package, which includes a limited edition beanie. Season tickets, partial plans, and group tickets are also available. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, partial plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 19, 2019
- Thunder Falls 5-2 in Boise to Close Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Second Period Burst Sends 'Blades Past Norfolk on Opening Night - Florida Everblades
- Glads Hop Past Swamp Rabbits in First Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Fuel Fall to Nailers in the Last Minute of Play - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Doubled up by Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Serve Swamp Rabbits First Loss - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Sadowy Strikes Twice Late in K-Wings' Home-Opening OT Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Come from Behind to Beat Railers, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Rays Take Down Solar Bears 4-2 in Home Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Siebenaler Wins It in the Final Minute for Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Drop Penalty-Filled Overtime Affair - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Worcester Railers Two Game Win Streak Comes to An End in Glens Falls - Worcester Railers HC
- Reading Bested in Home Opener, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Spoil Reading Royals Home Opener with 5-3 Win - Maine Mariners
- Offensive Explosion Helps Beast Down Growlers - Brampton Beast
- Growlers Fall 7-5 to the Beast - Newfoundland Growlers
- 'Blades Open Home Schedule against Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday Capsule: Allen vs. Utah - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - October 19 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Marlies Assign Alex Gudbranson to the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Closes Road Trip Tonight in Boise - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Acquire Eric Israel from Fort Wayne - Rapid City Rush
- Zach Sawchenko Recalled from Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komets Hammer Nailers 7-3 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Marlies Recall Zach O'Brien from the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Utah Grizzlies Game Preview: October 18th at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Home Opener vs. Maine Saturday - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Sell out Home Opener, Start with 2-1 OT Win over Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Go Beast Mode in 10-4 Win at Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Comeback Falls Short in OT Loss at Idaho - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.