Monsters Earn a Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Griffins
GRAND RAPIDS, MI - The AHL's Cleveland Monsters were defeated in a shootuot by the Grand Rapids Griffins on Saturday at Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids, MI by a final score of 4-3. With the shootout loss, the Monsters are now to 17-11-4-1 overall this season and with 39 points, remain alone in third place in the AHL's North Division standings.
After even-strength strikes from Chris Terry at 9:46 and Axel Holmstrom at 10:22 gave the Griffins a 2-0 first period lead, Cleveland's Sonny Milano potted a five-on-five marker at 18:45 of the opening frame, thanks to assists from Adam Clendening and Mark Letestu, to make it 2-1 heading into the second.
After a scoreless middle stanza, the Monsters tied the game with a Kole Sherwood power-play blast, assisted by Nathan Gerbe and Alex Broadhurst at 2:51 of the third, before Carter Camper pushed the Griffins back in front by a 3-2 margin at 3:46 of the period.
Cleveland's Doyle Somerby forced overtime with an even-strength finish at 11:16 on feeds from Letestu and Gerbe, but after a scoreless extra session, the Griffins emerged victorious by a 4-3 final score following three shootout stops from goaltender Patrick Rybar and a second-round conversion from Terry.
Monsters goaltender Brad Thiessen stopped 29 of the 32 shots he faced in regulation on Saturday, along with two of three shootout attempts, to fall to 3-1-1 this season while Grand Rapids' Rybar improved to 8-5-3 following a 33-save performance.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Saturday home clash vs. the Utica Comets with full coverage, live from The Q, underway at 1:00 pm on Alt 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Cleveland Monsters Holiday Packs are on sale now and include exclusive Monsters Holiday socks, a Monsters snow globe and equal number of Disney on Ice tickets at The Q! Holiday Packs start as low as $54 and can be purchased today by visiting www.clevelandmonsters.com/holiday or by calling the Monsters sales and service team at 216-420-0000. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
Images from this story
Cleveland Monsters goaltender Brad Thiessen vs. the Grand Rapids Griffins
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 29, 2018
- Phantoms Conclude 2018 in Fight-Filled Rivalry Duel - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stars Stay Hot at Home in 5-1 Victory over Ontario - Texas Stars
- Penguins Erupt for 7-3 Win at Lehigh Valley - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Come up Short to Comets - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Defeat Thunderbirds, 4-3, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Sens Close out 2018 with Win over Devils - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Earn a Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Griffins - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolf Pack Fall in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- St. Denis helps Bridgeport to its third straight win with overtime winner on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Devils Slowed by Senators, 3-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Goloubef Sparks P-Bruins Comeback in Hershey - Providence Bruins
- Eagles Sign DeJong to Professional Tryout Agreement - Colorado Eagles
- Comets Topple North Division Leading Amerks - Utica Comets
- Bruins Rally in Third, Down Bears 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- Admirals Taken Down by Wild - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Collect Extra Point in OT Win over T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Boyle to Gulls, Redmond Recalled - San Diego Gulls
- Canucks Extend AHL Affiliate Deal with the Utica CometsÂ - Utica Comets
- Poturalski Lifts Checkers over Laval in OT - Charlotte Checkers
- Game #30 Preview: Tucson vs. Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sound Tigers Recall Gaudreau from Worcester - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Canucks Reassign Forward Adam Gaudette to the Comets Â - Utica Comets
- Moose Release Carroll, Reassign Maclise - Manitoba Moose
- Coyotes Assign Bunting to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Defenseman Matt Bartkowski from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Ottawa Recalls Rodewald - Belleville Senators
- Welinski to Anaheim, Sustr Joins San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Bears Add Two Defenders from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Stockton Looks to Even the Score Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Florida Panthers Acquire 2020 Fifth-Round Pick from Toronto - Springfield Thunderbirds
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Flames Recall Dillon Dube from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Ottawa Recalls Elliott and Wolanin - Belleville Senators
- Condors Wizard Night with Specialty Jerseys Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Devils, December 29 - Belleville Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning Assign Defenseman Slater Koekkoek to Syracuse Crunch for Conditioning Assignment - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Preview: Bruins at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sabres Recall Wedgewood, Amerks Bring up Johansson - Rochester Americans
- Devils Sign Goaltender Evan Cormier to Amateur Tryout - Binghamton Devils
- Road Team Wins 6th Straight in Series as Chicago Tops Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners Stay Sharp at Home with 5-2 Victory over Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Early Lead Doesn't Hold - Ontario Reign
- Blais Caps Comeback in Win over Reign - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Blue Jackets Assign Gabriel Carlsson, Kole Sherwood to Monsters
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Kole Sherwood from Monsters
- Comeback Falls Short for Monsters in 5-4 Loss to Devils
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson from Monsters
- Korostelev Nets Shootout Game-Winner as Monsters Stun Crunch, 4-3