K-Wings Top Fuel Behind Taylor's Historic Performance
November 26, 2022 - ECHL (ECHL) - Kalamazoo Wings News Release
KALAMAZOO, MI - The Kalamazoo Wings (7-5-1-0), proud ECHL affiliate of the National Hockey League's Columbus Blue Jackets, won their fourth game in a row, third-straight in comeback fashion and Justin Taylor became the K-Wings all-time goal scorer in a 4-2 victory against the Indy Fuel (9-5-1-0) Saturday in Indianapolis.
Justin Taylor (2, 3) notched career goals No. 239 and 240, tying and passing both Kevin Schamehorn and Mike Wanchuk in the contest. Hunter Vorva (1-1-0-0) was also rock-solid in his first action for the K-Wings since Oct. 26, as he made 35 saves on 37 shot attempts to earn his first ECHL victory.
Taylor tied the all-time record with the first goal of the game at the 9:57 mark of the first period. He rushed up the left side on a breakaway, going forehand then backhand as he crossed through the goalmouth for the goal. Anthony Collins (2) and Ryan Cook (3) earned the assists.
Indy then netted a pair, one in the first and one in the third, to take the lead.
And that's when Taylor erased it with his record-breaker at the 6:03 mark of the third. Justin parked himself in front of the crease and tipped in a shot by Chad Nychuk (6) on the power play. Max Humitz (5) had the second assist on the historic goal.
Just two minutes and two seconds after Taylor's game-tying goal, Humitz (3) delivered the game-winning goal. Mason McCarty (7) extended his point streak to four games with a masterful saucer pass, from the bottom of the right circle to his left, right onto Humitz's stick that had top-shelf eyes. Brandon Saigeon (6) picked up the second assist on the goal.
The game got interesting at the end as both teams headed to the box, first Indy then Kalamazoo, allowing the Fuel to have a power play opportunity in the final minutes of the game.
Yet, that's when Kalamazoo slammed the door.
Moments after the Fuel emptied their net, for a 6-on-4 advantage, the K-Wings defense stood tall on the Fuel's zone entry at their own blue line, and Raymond Brice (5) flipped a puck with eyes from Kalamazoo's zone into the empty goal. Brice's insurance goal was unassisted.
The K-Wings have now won five of the last six games.
Kalamazoo and Indy run it back tomorrow afternoon for the back half of the home-and-home series at Wings Event Center. Puck drop will be at 3:00 p.m. EST for Kalamazoo's 'Autism Awareness game.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 26, 2022
- Railers Win Four Hours After Puck Drop - Worcester Railers HC
- Americans Drop the Final Game of the Series - Allen Americans
- Watts Nets OT Game-Winner vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads' Win Streak Increases To Six Games With 5-2 Win Over Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Heartlanders Come from Behind, Robbins Scores OT Winner vs. Cincinnati - Iowa Heartlanders
- Matej Pekar Scores First ECHL Goal in 4-3 OT Loss - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Grab Point in Overtime Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- K-Wings Top Fuel Behind Taylor's Historic Performance - Kalamazoo Wings
- Dougherty's Overtime Winner Propels Solar Bears to Home Victory Saturday - Orlando Solar Bears
- Stingrays Pick Up Point In Shootout Loss - South Carolina Stingrays
- Everblades Fall to Orlando in OT - Florida Everblades
- Fraser Scores Shorthanded as Walleye Fall in Fort Wayne - Toledo Walleye
- Millman Scores OT Winner as Royals Down Thunder in Road-Trip Finale - Reading Royals
- Grasso Scores Twice in 3-2 Overtime Loss - Adirondack Thunder
- Fuel Lose First Match to K-Wings - Indy Fuel
- Gladiators Win Sixth Straight at Home in Shootout Thriller - Atlanta Gladiators
- Mariners Come Up Short In High-Scoring Affair With Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Grab Wild 9-6 Win vs. Mariners - Newfoundland Growlers
- Grizzlies Gameday - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Acquire Defenseman Aaron Thow in Trade with Norfolk - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - November 26 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Wichita Returns Home Tonight to Face Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Game Notes: vs Kansas City - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Gladiators, November 26 at 7:00 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Admirals Add Fryer and Van Riemsdyk to Roster - Norfolk Admirals
- Atlanta Looks to Finish Week with Sixth Straight Home Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Blades Close out Road Trip in Orlando - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Loan Brenden Miller to Cleveland - Kalamazoo Wings
- Going for Six Wins in a Row - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- K-Wings Loan Lambdin to Wolves - Kalamazoo Wings
- A Successful Debut for Marc-André Bergeron - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Royals Clash with Thunder in Road-Trip Finale - Reading Royals
- Lions Defeat Grizz 6-4 in First Ever Meeting - Utah Grizzlies
- Lions Defeat Utah 6-4 in First Ever Meeting - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.