Gladiators Win Sixth Straight at Home in Shootout Thriller
November 26, 2022 - ECHL (ECHL) - Atlanta Gladiators News Release
DULUTH, Ga. - The Atlanta Gladiators (9-4-1-0) picked up their sixth straight home win with a 4-3 shootout victory over the South Carolina Stingrays (8-4-1-1) Saturday on home ice. Kaid Oliver, Noah Laaouan, and Mike Pelech all recorded goals in regulation for the Glads while Eric Neiley and Liam Kirk finished off the Stingrays in the shootout.
Atlanta wasted no time in taking its first lead of the night. Just 38 seconds into the first period, Sanghoon Shin challenged South Carolina goaltender Clay Stevenson with a high shot, and Kaid Oliver cleaned up the rebound for his third goal of the season (0:38).
Alexandre Fortin tied the game at 1-1 on a shot that redirected in front of Altanta netminder Tyler Parks (9:36).
Late in the first, Reece Vitelli hit fellow rookie Noah Laaouan with a pass in stride for Laaouan to bury on Stevenson's blocker side (17:39).
South Carolina tied the game again early in the second when rookie Carter Turnbull forced a turnover the Atlanta zone dangled around Parks (1:58).
The league's top penalty kill was tested in the second period when the Gladiators found themselves on the wrong side of a 5-on-3 for one minute and 48 seconds. Parks and the Glads managed to kill off the two-man advantage for South Carolina, marking the third-straight game the Atlanta has killed off a 5-on-3. All three two-man advantages that the Glads have killed in the last three games lasted at least one minute and 39 seconds.
In the dying seconds of the middle act, Derek Topatigh blistered a slapshot on goal that produced a juicy rebound for Mike Pelech to score, giving the Gladiators a 3-2 advantage (19:22).
Andrew Cherniwchan scored his second goal of the week against Atlanta on a shorthanded breakaway in the third period to tie the game at 3-3 (8:12).
After a scoreless overtime, the Glads and Rays headed to a shootout. Johnny Evans beat Parks to start, but the Atlanta netminder shut down Turnbull and Cherniwchan on the following shots. After Cody Sylvester rang the pipe, Eric Neiley and Liam Kirk both scored to give the Gladiators their sixth straight home win.
Atlanta plays next on Tuesday, Nov. 29 at 7:00 against the Savannah Ghost Pirates.
First Star: Liam Kirk (ATL) - shootout winner
Second Star: Noah Laaouan (ATL) - goal
Third Star: Andrew Cherniwchan (SC) - shorthanded goal
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 26, 2022
- Railers Win Four Hours After Puck Drop - Worcester Railers HC
- Americans Drop the Final Game of the Series - Allen Americans
- Watts Nets OT Game-Winner vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads' Win Streak Increases To Six Games With 5-2 Win Over Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Heartlanders Come from Behind, Robbins Scores OT Winner vs. Cincinnati - Iowa Heartlanders
- Matej Pekar Scores First ECHL Goal in 4-3 OT Loss - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Grab Point in Overtime Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- K-Wings Top Fuel Behind Taylor's Historic Performance - Kalamazoo Wings
- Dougherty's Overtime Winner Propels Solar Bears to Home Victory Saturday - Orlando Solar Bears
- Stingrays Pick Up Point In Shootout Loss - South Carolina Stingrays
- Everblades Fall to Orlando in OT - Florida Everblades
- Fraser Scores Shorthanded as Walleye Fall in Fort Wayne - Toledo Walleye
- Millman Scores OT Winner as Royals Down Thunder in Road-Trip Finale - Reading Royals
- Grasso Scores Twice in 3-2 Overtime Loss - Adirondack Thunder
- Fuel Lose First Match to K-Wings - Indy Fuel
- Gladiators Win Sixth Straight at Home in Shootout Thriller - Atlanta Gladiators
- Mariners Come Up Short In High-Scoring Affair With Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Grab Wild 9-6 Win vs. Mariners - Newfoundland Growlers
- Grizzlies Gameday - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Acquire Defenseman Aaron Thow in Trade with Norfolk - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - November 26 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Wichita Returns Home Tonight to Face Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Game Notes: vs Kansas City - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Gladiators, November 26 at 7:00 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Admirals Add Fryer and Van Riemsdyk to Roster - Norfolk Admirals
- Atlanta Looks to Finish Week with Sixth Straight Home Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Blades Close out Road Trip in Orlando - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Loan Brenden Miller to Cleveland - Kalamazoo Wings
- Going for Six Wins in a Row - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- K-Wings Loan Lambdin to Wolves - Kalamazoo Wings
- A Successful Debut for Marc-André Bergeron - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Royals Clash with Thunder in Road-Trip Finale - Reading Royals
- Lions Defeat Grizz 6-4 in First Ever Meeting - Utah Grizzlies
- Lions Defeat Utah 6-4 in First Ever Meeting - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.