Everblades Fall to Orlando in OT
ORLANDO, Fla. - In his first game for the Florida Everblades, Jake Smith came up big, scoring a goal to force overtime with 1:42 to play in regulation, but Jack Doughtery's goal 45 seconds into overtime gave the Orlando Solar Bears a hard-fought 4-3 victory Saturday night at Amway Center.
A shorthanded goal by Orlando's Joe Carroll seven minutes after the opening draw gave the Solar Bears an early 1-0 advantage.
In a busy second period, both teams collected two goals as Orlando took a 3-2 lead to the locker room after 40 minutes of play. At the 7:35 mark, Kyle Neuber knotted the game for the Everblades at 1-1, but two goals by Maxim Cajkovic at 8:08 and 13:11 put the Solar Bears back on top 3-1. Cam Morrison potted a shorthanded goal at 15:59 to pull the Everblades within one.
Smith's goal in the third period for Florida and Dougherty's overtime game-winner for Orlando closed out the scoring.
The Everblades outshot the Solar Bears 38-25, as Cam Johnson posted 21 saves in between the pipes for the Blades (9-3-2-1). Brad Barone made 35 saves to help Orlando (5-8-2-1) snap a five-game winless streak.
With the Everblades' three-game road trip drawing to a close, the defending Kelly Cup Champions will return to Hertz Arena on Wednesday, Nov. 30 as the Kalamazoo Wings come to Southwest Florida for a 7:30 p.m. tilt to open a two-game set.
7:11 Orlando J. Carroll 6 SH (T. Langan, M. Brodzinski)
7:35 Florida K. Neuber 2 (S. Leblanc, J. Pendenza)
8:08 Orlando M. Cajkovic 2 (J. Carroll, M. Foget)
13:11 Orlando M. Cajkovic 3 (J. Carroll)
15:59 Florida C. Morrison 3 SH (B. Masella, N. Kneen)
18:18 Florida J. Smith 5 (B. Masella, S. Leblanc)
0:45 Orlando J. Dougherty 1 (M. Cajkovic)
Florida - Cam Johnson, 21 Saves
Orlando - Brad Barone, 35 Saves
Shots on Goal - Florida 38, Orlando 25
Power Plays - Florida 0-5, Orlando 0-1
Shorthanded Goals - Florida 1, Orlando 1
Penalties (Minutes) - Florida 2 (7), Orlando 6 (15)
NEWS AND NOTES
Dating back to last season, the Everblades have picked up at least one point in the standings in nine straight games against the Solar Bears. In 2021-22, Florida won five of the last six games against the Solar Bears, while also picking up at least one point in the last eight meetings (6-0-2-0) on the road to a Kelly Cup Championship.
Kyle Neuber picked up his second goal of the season, scoring twice in the last three games.
With assists on Neuber's goal, both Joe Pendenza and Stefan Leblanc extended their personal scoring streaks. Pendenza ran his point streak to five games (2 G, 4 A), while Leblanc, who added a helper on Jake Smith's third-period goal, tallied at least one assist for the second consecutive contest.
Ben Masella picked up at least one point for the second straight contest, grabbing helpers on Cam Morrison's second-period goal and Smith's third-period goal, one night removed from scoring his second goal of the young season.
While Smith scored a clutch goal in his Everblades debut, it was his fifth ECHL goal of the season. Smith previously scored two goals apiece for the Iowa Heartlanders and the Norfolk Admirals.
With a three-game Sunshine State swing in the books, the defending Kelly Cup Champion Florida Everblades will return to Hertz Arena for a pair of games against the Kalamazoo Wings on Wednesday, Nov. 30 at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, Dec. 3 at 7:00 p.m. Wednesday's contest will feature the popular Hump Day Deals with $3.00 Bud Light drafts and $3.00 hot dogs. On Saturday, get into character with us as your Blades will don specialty Scooby Doo jerseys for DC Comic/Warner Bros. character night! Themed intermission games and activities will transform Hertz Arena for the night. Following the game, fans are able to skate with the players on a first-come first-served basis. And don't forget, we will also have live music for our Saturday Tailgate party!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 26, 2022
- Railers Win Four Hours After Puck Drop - Worcester Railers HC
- Americans Drop the Final Game of the Series - Allen Americans
- Watts Nets OT Game-Winner vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads' Win Streak Increases To Six Games With 5-2 Win Over Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Heartlanders Come from Behind, Robbins Scores OT Winner vs. Cincinnati - Iowa Heartlanders
- Matej Pekar Scores First ECHL Goal in 4-3 OT Loss - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Grab Point in Overtime Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- K-Wings Top Fuel Behind Taylor's Historic Performance - Kalamazoo Wings
- Dougherty's Overtime Winner Propels Solar Bears to Home Victory Saturday - Orlando Solar Bears
- Stingrays Pick Up Point In Shootout Loss - South Carolina Stingrays
- Everblades Fall to Orlando in OT - Florida Everblades
- Fraser Scores Shorthanded as Walleye Fall in Fort Wayne - Toledo Walleye
- Millman Scores OT Winner as Royals Down Thunder in Road-Trip Finale - Reading Royals
- Grasso Scores Twice in 3-2 Overtime Loss - Adirondack Thunder
- Fuel Lose First Match to K-Wings - Indy Fuel
- Gladiators Win Sixth Straight at Home in Shootout Thriller - Atlanta Gladiators
- Mariners Come Up Short In High-Scoring Affair With Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Grab Wild 9-6 Win vs. Mariners - Newfoundland Growlers
- Grizzlies Gameday - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Acquire Defenseman Aaron Thow in Trade with Norfolk - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - November 26 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Wichita Returns Home Tonight to Face Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Game Notes: vs Kansas City - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Gladiators, November 26 at 7:00 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Admirals Add Fryer and Van Riemsdyk to Roster - Norfolk Admirals
- Atlanta Looks to Finish Week with Sixth Straight Home Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Blades Close out Road Trip in Orlando - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Loan Brenden Miller to Cleveland - Kalamazoo Wings
- Going for Six Wins in a Row - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- K-Wings Loan Lambdin to Wolves - Kalamazoo Wings
- A Successful Debut for Marc-André Bergeron - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Royals Clash with Thunder in Road-Trip Finale - Reading Royals
- Lions Defeat Grizz 6-4 in First Ever Meeting - Utah Grizzlies
- Lions Defeat Utah 6-4 in First Ever Meeting - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.