Daza, Hilliard, Valaika Elected Starters in 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game
Albuquerque Isotopes outfielders Yonathan Daza and Sam Hilliard as well as third baseman Pat Valaika have been named starters for the 2019 Pacific Coast League All-Star Team. The game will be hosted at Southwest University Park in El Paso, Texas on Wednesday, July 10 and will be broadcasted on MLB Network.
This marks the second straight year multiple Isotopes have been voted as PCL starters with Mike Tauchman and Josh Fuentes both starting for the league last season in Columbus. The last time Albuquerque had three players named as starters in the All-Star Game was in 2008 (OF John Gall, C John Baker and 3B Dallas McPherson).
Daza's .375 batting average (98-for-261) at the time of his selection ranks first in the PCL while his 98 hits are the second-most in the circuit. The 25-year-old from Maracay, Venezuela has hit a career-high eight home runs and has recorded a multi-hit performance in 35 of 59 games played in Albuquerque. Daza has also compiled 22 doubles, four triples and 34 RBI. This is the second Mid-Season All-Star selection of Daza's nine-year professional career with the others coming in 2016 with Single-A Asheville and in 2018 with Double-A Hartford.
Hilliard, 25, leads the Isotopes in home runs (20), stolen bases (14) and runs scored (61). The outfielder is one of two players in Minor League Baseball with at least 20 home runs and 14 stolen bases. Hilliard's 20 homers are one away from matching his career-high from 2017. The Mansfield, Texas native ranks second in the PCL in extra-base hits (42), runs scored, fourth in triples (4), home runs, total bases (162), fifth in RBI (58) and eighth in stolen bases. Hilliard was previously named a Mid-Season All-Star in 2016 with Asheville, 2017 with High-A Lancaster and in 2018 with Hartford.
Valiaka, 26, has compiled a .339 batting average (63-for-186) with the Isotopes in 44 games, to go along with 16 home runs, 39 RBI and a 1.033 OPS. This is the Valencia, Calif. native's second All-Star Game selection, being selected as a Mid-Season All-Star in 2016 while with the Eastern League's Hartford Yard Goats.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 26, 2019
- Quartet of Redbirds Extend Hitting Streaks - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Claims 5-4 Win over Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Express Come Back to Top Missions 4-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Score 17 in Come-From-Behind Win - Nashville Sounds
- Baby Cakes Bounce Dodgers, 3-1 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Cakes Even Series with a Pair of Home Runs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- OF Yadiel Hernandez & RHP Dakota Bacus to Represent Fresno at AAA ASG - Fresno Grizzlies
- Iowa Native Rea Selected to PCL All-Star Team - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (33-45) vs Nashville Sounds (32-45) - Memphis Redbirds
- Express OF Kyle Tucker, RHP Cy Sneed Named to PCL All-Star Team - Round Rock Express
- Pacific Coast League Announces 2019 All-Star Roster - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 26, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (32-45) at Memphis Redbirds (33-45) - Nashville Sounds
- Will Smith and Kevin Quackenbush Named to Triple-A All-Star Game - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Woodford, Ravelo Named PCL All-Stars - Memphis Redbirds
- Three Aces Selected to 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Reno Aces
- Four Missions Named to Pacific Coast League All-Star Team - San Antonio Missions
- Diaz Named to PCL All-Star Team - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Daza, Hilliard, Valaika Elected Starters in 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Pitchers David Carpenter and Seth Maness Named Pacific Coast League All-Stars - Nashville Sounds
- PCL Reveals 2019 All-Star Roster - PCL
- Ronald McDonald House Charities Named Title Partner of the 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ward Selected as Pacific Coast League All-Star - Salt Lake Bees
- Tucker, Hiura, Urias Among PCL All-Stars - Las Vegas Aviators
- OKC Dodgers and Kimray Partner to Benefit OKC Foster Care and Family Service Organizations Via Kimray Kids - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Minor League Baseball Launches "Hope at Bat" Fundraising and Awareness Initiative with American Cancer Society - PCL
- Reaching a Baseball Milestone - San Antonio Missions
- Stevenson continues torrid streak in Tacos 11-5 setback to Aviators - Fresno Grizzlies
- 20 Hits Just enough for Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Blank Stingers - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats come up just short in wild game vs. Chihuahuas - Sacramento River Cats
- Early Rainiers Lead Wiped out in Loss to Albuquerque - Tacoma Rainiers
- Taylor Widener Sharp in Aces Shutout Victory - Reno Aces
- Mariachis Win 9-7 as Hoffman Establishes Strikeout Record - Albuquerque Isotopes
- I-Cubs Ice Chasers 5-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chasers Walk off 3-2 After Falling 12-9 in Suspended Game - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Upended in Series Opener - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Derail Express 10-2 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Dodgers Hit Back-to-Back Homers in 8-5 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Albuquerque Isotopes Stories
- Mariachis Hit High Note as Greatest Gorra
- Mariachis Advance to Championship Round of #GreatestGora
- Isotopes to Host "A Speech of Their OwnÃ¢ÂÂ Initiative
- Isotopes/Mariachis Join Minor League Baseball's "Greatest Gorra" Cap Competition
- Isotopes "Stadium Memories" Series to Air on TV, Radio and Facebook Live