Missions Derail Express 10-2 in Series Opener
SAN ANTONIO, Texas - The Round Rock Express (45-32) fell to the I-35 rival San Antonio Missions (49-29) by a 10-2 count on Tuesday night at Nelson W. Wolff Municipal Stadium. Despite a strong start from the E-Train, the Missions fired back with 15 total hits to fuel a win.
E-Train RHP Akeem Bostick (4-4, 5.82) suffered the loss after surrendering four runs on seven hits in a 5.0-inning start. On the winning side, Missions RHP Thomas Jankins (7-2, 3.65) allowed only two runs on eight hits and a walk in 7.0 innings pitched.
Round Rock broke the scoreless tie in the second inning as LF Josh Rojas notched a leadoff single before advancing to second on a Nick Tanielu groundout. 1B AJ Reed then singled home Rojas and moved to second thanks to a base hit from 2B Alex De Goti. LF Taylor Jones then sent in Reed with a single for Round Rock's second run.
However, the Missions poured it on from there to serve the Express a bitter loss. LF Cory Spangenberg worked a leadoff walk in the home half of the eighth prior to heading to second on a David Freitas hit and touching home via another single, this time courtesy of C Jacob Nottingham. The next inning, 2B Keston Hiura doubled home Maurico Dubon after a leadoff hit to level the score at two.
In the fourth, Freitas led off with a double and safely advanced to third on a Nate Orf ground out. The runner later plated the go-ahead on a Nottingham sacrifice fly. Dubon and Nottingham combined for a pair of doubles, the second of which scored a run, to extend the lead to 4-2.
In the final two innings, San Antonio put up six runs to insure the win. In the seventh, Hiura notched his 19th home run followed by a Spangenberg double. Saladino quickly tacked on an RBI single, and later scored a run of his own on Nottingham's second sacrifice fly. Dubon led off the bottom of the eighth with a solo home run, followed by four base hits that added two more runs for the Missions and finalized a 10-2 decision.
Round Rock aims to bounce back from a tough loss on Wednesday night. E-Train RHP Jose Urquidy (3-1, 3.35) is set to start opposite Missions RHP Corbin Burnes (0-0, 0.00). First pitch at Nelson W. Wolff Municipal Stadium is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 26, 2019
- Quartet of Redbirds Extend Hitting Streaks - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Claims 5-4 Win over Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Express Come Back to Top Missions 4-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Score 17 in Come-From-Behind Win - Nashville Sounds
- Baby Cakes Bounce Dodgers, 3-1 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Cakes Even Series with a Pair of Home Runs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- OF Yadiel Hernandez & RHP Dakota Bacus to Represent Fresno at AAA ASG - Fresno Grizzlies
- Iowa Native Rea Selected to PCL All-Star Team - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (33-45) vs Nashville Sounds (32-45) - Memphis Redbirds
- Express OF Kyle Tucker, RHP Cy Sneed Named to PCL All-Star Team - Round Rock Express
- Pacific Coast League Announces 2019 All-Star Roster - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 26, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (32-45) at Memphis Redbirds (33-45) - Nashville Sounds
- Will Smith and Kevin Quackenbush Named to Triple-A All-Star Game - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Woodford, Ravelo Named PCL All-Stars - Memphis Redbirds
- Three Aces Selected to 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Reno Aces
- Four Missions Named to Pacific Coast League All-Star Team - San Antonio Missions
- Diaz Named to PCL All-Star Team - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Daza, Hilliard, Valaika Elected Starters in 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Pitchers David Carpenter and Seth Maness Named Pacific Coast League All-Stars - Nashville Sounds
- PCL Reveals 2019 All-Star Roster - PCL
- Ronald McDonald House Charities Named Title Partner of the 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ward Selected as Pacific Coast League All-Star - Salt Lake Bees
- Tucker, Hiura, Urias Among PCL All-Stars - Las Vegas Aviators
- OKC Dodgers and Kimray Partner to Benefit OKC Foster Care and Family Service Organizations Via Kimray Kids - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Minor League Baseball Launches "Hope at Bat" Fundraising and Awareness Initiative with American Cancer Society - PCL
- Reaching a Baseball Milestone - San Antonio Missions
- Stevenson continues torrid streak in Tacos 11-5 setback to Aviators - Fresno Grizzlies
- 20 Hits Just enough for Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Blank Stingers - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats come up just short in wild game vs. Chihuahuas - Sacramento River Cats
- Early Rainiers Lead Wiped out in Loss to Albuquerque - Tacoma Rainiers
- Taylor Widener Sharp in Aces Shutout Victory - Reno Aces
- Mariachis Win 9-7 as Hoffman Establishes Strikeout Record - Albuquerque Isotopes
- I-Cubs Ice Chasers 5-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chasers Walk off 3-2 After Falling 12-9 in Suspended Game - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Upended in Series Opener - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Derail Express 10-2 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Dodgers Hit Back-to-Back Homers in 8-5 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express to Host "Kicks and Tricks" Kickball Tournament
- Rodeo Austin to Host New Event with Round Rock Express
- Special Guests Added for Encore Drive-In Night at Dell Diamond
- Koe Wetzel to Perform Live at Dell Diamond on October 16
- Inaugural Tailgates and Tunes Concert Series Relaunched