Baby Cakes Bounce Dodgers, 3-1
Oklahoma City - The New Orleans Baby Cakes held the Oklahoma City Dodgers to one run and three hits as they evened the series between the teams by sending the Dodgers to a 3-1 loss Wednesday night at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
Oklahoma City's lone run of the night came via Jake Peter's solo homer in the second inning as New Orleans' pitchers retired the final 14 Dodgers batters of the night.
Wednesday marked the seventh time this season the Dodgers were held to three or fewer hits in a game and the 14th time this season they scored one run or less.
The Dodgers (31-46) took the game's first lead when Peter belted a towering shot out to right field in the second inning for a 1-0 edge. He homered in a second straight game to bring his season total to five homers.
New Orleans tied the game, 1-1, in the fourth inning when Lewis Brinson hit a home run out to right-center field with two outs.
Yangervis Solarte gave the Baby Cakes a 2-1 advantage in the sixth inning with a home run out to right field that landed in the New Orleans' bullpen.
The Baby Cakes (31-46) added a run in the ninth inning. Heineman reached on a fielding error by Dodgers pitcher Stetson Allie, advanced to second base on a wild pitch, stole third base, then scored on a RBI single by the middle by Rosell Herrera for a 3-1 Baby Cakes lead.
New Orleans starting pitcher Joe Gunkel (1-1) picked up the win, holding OKC to one run and three hits over 5.0 innings. He did not issue a walk and had five strikeouts.
Pitchers Jeff Brigham and R.J. Alvarez held the Dodgers without a hit or run between the sixth and eighth innings. Kyle Keller then pitched a perfect ninth inning for his sixth save with New Orleans.
Dodgers starting pitcher Logan Bawcom (0-1) was charged with the loss. He held the Baby Cakes to two runs and seven hits with one walk and seven strikeouts as he made his first appearance with the team since early May.
The Baby Cakes outhit the Dodgers, 11-3, Wednesday and evened the four-game series between the teams, 1-1.
The Dodgers continue their home series against the New Orleans Baby Cakes at 7:05 p.m. on a $2 Thursday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark, featuring $2 select beer, Pepsi products and bottled water.
Tickets are available through the OKC Dodgers ticket office located on South Mickey Mantle Drive, by phone at (405) 218-2182, or by visiting okcdodgers.com.
Live radio coverage of each game begins 15 minutes before first pitch on AM 1340 "The Game," 1340thegame.com and through the free iHeartRadio or MiLB First Pitch apps.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 26, 2019
- Quartet of Redbirds Extend Hitting Streaks - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Claims 5-4 Win over Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Express Come Back to Top Missions 4-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Score 17 in Come-From-Behind Win - Nashville Sounds
- Baby Cakes Bounce Dodgers, 3-1 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Cakes Even Series with a Pair of Home Runs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- OF Yadiel Hernandez & RHP Dakota Bacus to Represent Fresno at AAA ASG - Fresno Grizzlies
- Iowa Native Rea Selected to PCL All-Star Team - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (33-45) vs Nashville Sounds (32-45) - Memphis Redbirds
- Express OF Kyle Tucker, RHP Cy Sneed Named to PCL All-Star Team - Round Rock Express
- Pacific Coast League Announces 2019 All-Star Roster - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 26, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (32-45) at Memphis Redbirds (33-45) - Nashville Sounds
- Will Smith and Kevin Quackenbush Named to Triple-A All-Star Game - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Woodford, Ravelo Named PCL All-Stars - Memphis Redbirds
- Three Aces Selected to 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Reno Aces
- Four Missions Named to Pacific Coast League All-Star Team - San Antonio Missions
- Diaz Named to PCL All-Star Team - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Daza, Hilliard, Valaika Elected Starters in 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Pitchers David Carpenter and Seth Maness Named Pacific Coast League All-Stars - Nashville Sounds
- PCL Reveals 2019 All-Star Roster - PCL
- Ronald McDonald House Charities Named Title Partner of the 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ward Selected as Pacific Coast League All-Star - Salt Lake Bees
- Tucker, Hiura, Urias Among PCL All-Stars - Las Vegas Aviators
- OKC Dodgers and Kimray Partner to Benefit OKC Foster Care and Family Service Organizations Via Kimray Kids - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Minor League Baseball Launches "Hope at Bat" Fundraising and Awareness Initiative with American Cancer Society - PCL
- Reaching a Baseball Milestone - San Antonio Missions
- Stevenson continues torrid streak in Tacos 11-5 setback to Aviators - Fresno Grizzlies
- 20 Hits Just enough for Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Blank Stingers - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats come up just short in wild game vs. Chihuahuas - Sacramento River Cats
- Early Rainiers Lead Wiped out in Loss to Albuquerque - Tacoma Rainiers
- Taylor Widener Sharp in Aces Shutout Victory - Reno Aces
- Mariachis Win 9-7 as Hoffman Establishes Strikeout Record - Albuquerque Isotopes
- I-Cubs Ice Chasers 5-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chasers Walk off 3-2 After Falling 12-9 in Suspended Game - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Upended in Series Opener - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Derail Express 10-2 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Dodgers Hit Back-to-Back Homers in 8-5 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Dodgers Stories
- OKC Dodgers and MidFirst Bank Present "Pack the Park PinkÃ¢ÂÂ T-Shirt Design Contest
- Registration Open for OKC Dodgers Rookie League 2020 Season
- Free Stem-Based OKC Dodgers MVP Program Enters Fourth Year
- OKC Dodgers Offering Community Match Ticket Sale During Thanksgiving Week
- LifeShare WinterFest and Snow Tubing Return to Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark