Tucker, Hiura, Urias Among PCL All-Stars
With the way offense has taken off at Triple-A in 2019, this year's All-Star Game in El Paso on July 10 could be one of the most exciting in recent memory. The side representing the Pacific Coast League will not lack firepower.
Top-100 prospects Kyle Tucker (Round Rock), Keston Hiura (San Antonio) and Luis Urias (El Paso) highlight the 2019 Pacific Coast League All-Star roster announced Wednesday. All three were among the 13 players elected to the squad while 20 others were selected.
View the complete Pacific Coast League All-Star Roster »
No. 10 overall prospect Tucker was elected as one of the PCL's three outfield prospects on the strength of his power and speed. His 23 homers over 72 games are tied for most in the circuit while his 18 stolen bases rank fourth. The Astros slugger is the only PCL player with at least 15 in each category this season.
No. 12 Hiura (second base) and No. 20 Urias (shortstop) should form a tantalizing double-play tandem for the PCL. Hiura has produced a .332/.412/.692 line with 19 homers in 56 games with San Antonio and was strong over a 17-game turn with the Brewers as well, hitting .281 with five homers and an .865 OPS. Urias is having a huge year at the plate with a .329/.415/.638 line and career-best 17 homers in 60 games for El Paso. The 22-year-old infielder was the only El Paso player elected to represent the hosts next month.
Video: Hiura goes yard for San Antonio
Among the other PCL elected players are OPS leader and Reno first baseman Kevin Cron (1.261), batting leader and Albuquerque outfielder Yonathan Daza (.375), Memphis starter Jake Woodford (3.39 ERA in 87 2/3 innings), and Iowa starter Colin Rea (3.56 ERA in 81 innings). The rest of the electees are Oklahoma City catcher Will Smith, Albuquerque third baseman Pat Valaika, Albuquerque outfielder Sam Hilliard, Fresno DH Yadiel Hernandez, Reno reliever Jimmie Sherfy and San Antonio reliever Jay Jackson.
Las Vegas infielder Jorge Mateo, who leads the league with 107 hits and 183 total bases, highlights the group of players selected to the PCL roster. Other notable names to make the cut are New Orleans infielder Isan Diaz, El Paso catcher Austin Allen, El Paso infielder Ty France, Reno infielder Yasmany Tomas, Omaha outfielder Bubba Starling and Sacramento switch-throwing reliever Pat Venditte.
San Antonio leads the way with four players on the roster, with Reno, Albuquerque and El Paso each following with three. Sacramento skipper Dave Brundage will manage the team with Las Vegas' Eric Martins and Salt Lake's Pat Rice joining as coaches.
The full Pacific Coast League All-Star roster can be viewed at the link above. The roster will be updated as additions and subtractions are made due to injuries or promotions.
The roster for the PCL's opponent, the International League, will be announced Thursday.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 26, 2019
- Quartet of Redbirds Extend Hitting Streaks - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Claims 5-4 Win over Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Express Come Back to Top Missions 4-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Score 17 in Come-From-Behind Win - Nashville Sounds
- Baby Cakes Bounce Dodgers, 3-1 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Cakes Even Series with a Pair of Home Runs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- OF Yadiel Hernandez & RHP Dakota Bacus to Represent Fresno at AAA ASG - Fresno Grizzlies
- Iowa Native Rea Selected to PCL All-Star Team - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (33-45) vs Nashville Sounds (32-45) - Memphis Redbirds
- Express OF Kyle Tucker, RHP Cy Sneed Named to PCL All-Star Team - Round Rock Express
- Pacific Coast League Announces 2019 All-Star Roster - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 26, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (32-45) at Memphis Redbirds (33-45) - Nashville Sounds
- Will Smith and Kevin Quackenbush Named to Triple-A All-Star Game - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Woodford, Ravelo Named PCL All-Stars - Memphis Redbirds
- Three Aces Selected to 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Reno Aces
- Four Missions Named to Pacific Coast League All-Star Team - San Antonio Missions
- Diaz Named to PCL All-Star Team - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Daza, Hilliard, Valaika Elected Starters in 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Pitchers David Carpenter and Seth Maness Named Pacific Coast League All-Stars - Nashville Sounds
- PCL Reveals 2019 All-Star Roster - PCL
- Ronald McDonald House Charities Named Title Partner of the 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ward Selected as Pacific Coast League All-Star - Salt Lake Bees
- Tucker, Hiura, Urias Among PCL All-Stars - Las Vegas Aviators
- OKC Dodgers and Kimray Partner to Benefit OKC Foster Care and Family Service Organizations Via Kimray Kids - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Minor League Baseball Launches "Hope at Bat" Fundraising and Awareness Initiative with American Cancer Society - PCL
- Reaching a Baseball Milestone - San Antonio Missions
- Stevenson continues torrid streak in Tacos 11-5 setback to Aviators - Fresno Grizzlies
- 20 Hits Just enough for Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Blank Stingers - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats come up just short in wild game vs. Chihuahuas - Sacramento River Cats
- Early Rainiers Lead Wiped out in Loss to Albuquerque - Tacoma Rainiers
- Taylor Widener Sharp in Aces Shutout Victory - Reno Aces
- Mariachis Win 9-7 as Hoffman Establishes Strikeout Record - Albuquerque Isotopes
- I-Cubs Ice Chasers 5-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chasers Walk off 3-2 After Falling 12-9 in Suspended Game - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Upended in Series Opener - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Derail Express 10-2 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Dodgers Hit Back-to-Back Homers in 8-5 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Aviators Stories
- Fans for the Cure Virtual Road Trip
- Las Vegas Ballpark, in Partnership with Vitalant, Will Host the One October Memorial Blood Drive
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Shelved
- Re-Airing of Aviators Games on YurView Cox Channel 14
- Aviators Announce Ticket Policy for Postponed Games for 2020 Season at Las Vegas Ballpark