Will Smith and Kevin Quackenbush Named to Triple-A All-Star Game
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma City Dodgers catcher Will Smith and relief pitcher Kevin Quackenbush have been named to the 2019 Triple-A RMHC All-Star Game, the Pacific Coast League announced today.
The 32nd annual Triple-A All-Star Game is set for Wednesday, July 10 at Southwest University Park in El Paso, Texas, pitting the Pacific Coast League All-Stars against the International League All-Stars.
Smith, who has split the season between the OKC Dodgers and Los Angeles Dodgers, was the leading vote-getter at catcher among the Pacific Coast League's field managers, general managers, media and broadcasters. He is slashing .291/.397/.609 with Oklahoma City this season, and despite appearing in just 49 of OKC's 76 games, Smith leads the team with 38 runs scored, is tied for the team lead with 14 home runs, ranks second with 39 RBI and third with 31 walks. Most notably, Smith hit a home run in five consecutive games June 12-17 and homered in six of seven games June 12-21 before being recalled by the Los Angeles Dodgers.
The 24-year-old from Louisville, Ky., had his contract selected by the Los Angeles Dodgers May 27 and made his Major League debut the next day. Smith has appeared in nine games with Los Angeles, going 7-for-26 with three home runs. Two of his homers have been walk-off winners: June 1 against Philadelphia - his first career home run - and more recently June 23 versus Colorado.
This marks Smith's second career Mid-Season All-Star selection, as he was also named a 2017 California League All-Star with High-A Rancho Cucamonga.
Quackenbush, 30, has been a steady presence in the OKC bullpen all season and was selected to the PCL All-Star roster by the league office. He currently ranks third in the PCL with 31 appearances, and among PCL relievers, he is tied for first with 54 strikeouts. So far this season Quackenbush has posted a 3.22 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and .230 opponent batting average. He's notched 54 strikeouts against just nine walks across 36.1 innings and has converted all three of his save chances. Over his last 16 outings, Quackenbush has allowed two runs and 12 hits with 26 strikeouts over 15.2 innings.
The right-hander is in his first season the Dodgers organization after signing as a free agent this past off-season and has appeared in 203 career Major League games with the San Diego Padres and Cincinnati Reds. This is his third career Mid-Season All-Star selection and second consecutive trip to the Triple-A All-Star Game after participating with the Louisville Bats last season.
The Triple-A All-Star Game will be broadcast live starting at 8 p.m. Central time on MLB Network, MiLB.TV, the MiLB First Pitch App and the Triple-A All-Star Game Radio Network, including locally on AM 1340 "The Game."
The Dodgers have three games remaining during their current home series against the New Orleans Baby Cakes, including tonight. Tomorrow is $2 Thursday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark, featuring $2 Pepsi products, bottled water and select beer. Friday is another Fireworks Friday, with postgame fireworks presented by Oklahoma Blood Institute. Tickets are available through the OKC Dodgers ticket office located on South Mickey Mantle Drive, by phone at (405) 218-2182, or by visiting okcdodgers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 26, 2019
- Quartet of Redbirds Extend Hitting Streaks - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Claims 5-4 Win over Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Express Come Back to Top Missions 4-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Score 17 in Come-From-Behind Win - Nashville Sounds
- Baby Cakes Bounce Dodgers, 3-1 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Cakes Even Series with a Pair of Home Runs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- OF Yadiel Hernandez & RHP Dakota Bacus to Represent Fresno at AAA ASG - Fresno Grizzlies
- Iowa Native Rea Selected to PCL All-Star Team - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (33-45) vs Nashville Sounds (32-45) - Memphis Redbirds
- Express OF Kyle Tucker, RHP Cy Sneed Named to PCL All-Star Team - Round Rock Express
- Pacific Coast League Announces 2019 All-Star Roster - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 26, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (32-45) at Memphis Redbirds (33-45) - Nashville Sounds
- Will Smith and Kevin Quackenbush Named to Triple-A All-Star Game - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Woodford, Ravelo Named PCL All-Stars - Memphis Redbirds
- Three Aces Selected to 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Reno Aces
- Four Missions Named to Pacific Coast League All-Star Team - San Antonio Missions
- Diaz Named to PCL All-Star Team - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Daza, Hilliard, Valaika Elected Starters in 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Pitchers David Carpenter and Seth Maness Named Pacific Coast League All-Stars - Nashville Sounds
- PCL Reveals 2019 All-Star Roster - PCL
- Ronald McDonald House Charities Named Title Partner of the 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ward Selected as Pacific Coast League All-Star - Salt Lake Bees
- Tucker, Hiura, Urias Among PCL All-Stars - Las Vegas Aviators
- OKC Dodgers and Kimray Partner to Benefit OKC Foster Care and Family Service Organizations Via Kimray Kids - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Minor League Baseball Launches "Hope at Bat" Fundraising and Awareness Initiative with American Cancer Society - PCL
- Reaching a Baseball Milestone - San Antonio Missions
- Stevenson continues torrid streak in Tacos 11-5 setback to Aviators - Fresno Grizzlies
- 20 Hits Just enough for Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Blank Stingers - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats come up just short in wild game vs. Chihuahuas - Sacramento River Cats
- Early Rainiers Lead Wiped out in Loss to Albuquerque - Tacoma Rainiers
- Taylor Widener Sharp in Aces Shutout Victory - Reno Aces
- Mariachis Win 9-7 as Hoffman Establishes Strikeout Record - Albuquerque Isotopes
- I-Cubs Ice Chasers 5-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chasers Walk off 3-2 After Falling 12-9 in Suspended Game - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Upended in Series Opener - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Derail Express 10-2 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Dodgers Hit Back-to-Back Homers in 8-5 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.