Woodford, Ravelo Named PCL All-Stars
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - Memphis Redbirds pitcher Jake Woodford and infielder Rangel Ravelo have been named to the 2019 Pacific Coast League All-Star Team, with the 32nd annual Triple-A All-Star Game against the International League stars airing live on MLB Network at 8:00 p.m. (CT) on Wednesday, July 10 in El Paso, Texas.
Woodford was the top vote-getter among all pitchers and earns the prestigious starting nod. He is the sixth Redbird, and second-straight, to start an All-Star Game on the mound, joining Dakota Hudson (2018), Chris Gissell (2005), Dan Haren (2004), Bud Smith (2001), and Larry Luebbers (1999).
Woodford currently ranks third in the PCL in ERA (3.39) and sixth in strikeouts (74), and he boasts the second-lowest opponent batting average in the league at .212. He has tossed a team-high 87.2 innings in a team-leading 15 starts, and he has a 5-3 record on the season.
The right-hander was named PCL Pitcher of the Week earlier this week after earning a win with 7.0 shutout innings at Oklahoma City, allowing just two hits and striking out four. Woodford was also a Mid-Season All-Star in the Texas League in 2018 with the Springfield Cardinals (AA) and in the Midwest League in 2016 with the Peoria Chiefs (A).
Ravelo leads Redbirds regulars with a .326 batting average, which was highlighted by a 19-game hitting streak earlier this season that ended one game shy of matching the franchise record. He hit .449 (31-69) during the hitting streak, which spanned from May 2-24. He had eight multi-hit games during the stretch.
Ravelo made his Major League debut with the St. Louis Cardinals earlier this season after 838 games in the minor leagues.
To his credit in his career Ravelo also has a Postseason All-Star honor in the Southern League with Birmingham in 2014 and a mid-season honor in the South Atlantic League with Kannapolis in 2012.
The PCL All-Stars will be managed in the game by Sacramento's Dave Brundage.
The Redbirds and Nashville Sounds continue their four-game series tonight at 6:35. Memphis is home through its Independence Day Celebration presented by AutoZone on Wednesday, July 3.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Wednesday, June 26 at 6:35: Woof Wednesday presented by Invisible Fence Brand of Memphis with dogs able to come to the stadium along with their parents
Thursday, June 27 at 7:05: Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products featuring the Redbirds suiting up as the Memphis Chicks and throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs; green hat giveaway on Silky O'Sullivan's Irish Heritage Night
Friday, June 28 at 7:05: Wizards & Wands Night featuring a handmade wand specialty ticket at www.memphisredbirds.com/wizardsandwands; All-You-Can-Eat Night specialty ticket presented by Dave & Buster's featuring an all-you-can-eat wings buffet and a free $15 Dave & Buster's Power Card available at www.memphisredbirds.com/allyoucaneat
Saturday, June 29 at 6:35: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game; Yadier Molina and Roberto Clemente Double Bobblehead specialty ticket available at www.memphisredbirds.com/cardinals; Win-a-Rolex Contest presented by Sissy's Log Cabin with fans able to register a guess of the time the game will end to win a $5,400 Rolex watch; Aldo's Pizza specialty ticket available at www.memphisredbirds.com/aldos
Sunday, June 30 at 2:05: Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air; kids run the bases after the game
Monday, July 1 at 6:35: the Redbirds will take the field as the Memphis Música as part of Minor League Baseball's "Copa de la Diversión" series
Tuesday, July 2 at 6:35: "Stranger Wings" Night two days before the season premiere of the television series Stranger Things, with an exclusive "Stranger Wings" t-shirt available with a specialty ticket purchase at www.memphisredbirds.com/strangerwings
Wednesday, July 3 at 6:35: Independence Day Celebration presented by AutoZone with a hamburger/hot dog buffet specialty ticket available at www.memphisredbirds.com/4thofJuly
Images from this story
Memphis Redbirds infielder Rangel Ravelo
Memphis Redbirds pitcher Jake Woodford
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 26, 2019
- Quartet of Redbirds Extend Hitting Streaks - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Claims 5-4 Win over Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Express Come Back to Top Missions 4-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Score 17 in Come-From-Behind Win - Nashville Sounds
- Baby Cakes Bounce Dodgers, 3-1 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Cakes Even Series with a Pair of Home Runs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- OF Yadiel Hernandez & RHP Dakota Bacus to Represent Fresno at AAA ASG - Fresno Grizzlies
- Iowa Native Rea Selected to PCL All-Star Team - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (33-45) vs Nashville Sounds (32-45) - Memphis Redbirds
- Express OF Kyle Tucker, RHP Cy Sneed Named to PCL All-Star Team - Round Rock Express
- Pacific Coast League Announces 2019 All-Star Roster - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 26, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (32-45) at Memphis Redbirds (33-45) - Nashville Sounds
- Will Smith and Kevin Quackenbush Named to Triple-A All-Star Game - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Woodford, Ravelo Named PCL All-Stars - Memphis Redbirds
- Three Aces Selected to 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Reno Aces
- Four Missions Named to Pacific Coast League All-Star Team - San Antonio Missions
- Diaz Named to PCL All-Star Team - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Daza, Hilliard, Valaika Elected Starters in 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Pitchers David Carpenter and Seth Maness Named Pacific Coast League All-Stars - Nashville Sounds
- PCL Reveals 2019 All-Star Roster - PCL
- Ronald McDonald House Charities Named Title Partner of the 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ward Selected as Pacific Coast League All-Star - Salt Lake Bees
- Tucker, Hiura, Urias Among PCL All-Stars - Las Vegas Aviators
- OKC Dodgers and Kimray Partner to Benefit OKC Foster Care and Family Service Organizations Via Kimray Kids - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Minor League Baseball Launches "Hope at Bat" Fundraising and Awareness Initiative with American Cancer Society - PCL
- Reaching a Baseball Milestone - San Antonio Missions
- Stevenson continues torrid streak in Tacos 11-5 setback to Aviators - Fresno Grizzlies
- 20 Hits Just enough for Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Blank Stingers - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats come up just short in wild game vs. Chihuahuas - Sacramento River Cats
- Early Rainiers Lead Wiped out in Loss to Albuquerque - Tacoma Rainiers
- Taylor Widener Sharp in Aces Shutout Victory - Reno Aces
- Mariachis Win 9-7 as Hoffman Establishes Strikeout Record - Albuquerque Isotopes
- I-Cubs Ice Chasers 5-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chasers Walk off 3-2 After Falling 12-9 in Suspended Game - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Upended in Series Opener - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Derail Express 10-2 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Dodgers Hit Back-to-Back Homers in 8-5 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- 9,123 Fans Jam AutoZone Park for Triple-A National Championship Game
- Triple-A National Champion to be Crowned Tomorrow Night
- Triple-A Baseball, Allegiant Announce Historic On-Field Jersey Partnership
- Redbirds, "I Love Memphis" Partner for $5 Tickets for Triple-A National Championship Game
- Ponce de Leon Named Pacific Coast League Player of the Month