I-Cubs Ice Chasers 5-1
Iowa starting pitcher Matt Swarmer fired seven strong innings and shortstop Dixon Machado drove in two runs, while Omaha reliever Andres Machado tossed two-plus scoreless innings of relief in the Cubs' 5-1 series-opening win over the Storm Chasers on Tuesday night at Principal Park.
Both teams traded single tallies in the opening frames, with Iowa striking first via 3B Phillip Evans ' RBI single to center in the first, before Omaha 2B Chase d'Arnaud slapped an RBI infield single one inning later. The Cubs would then collected a trio of scores in the fourth, highlighted by Machado's two-run single to right, prior to 2B Robel Garcia adding insurance with a solo homer to right in the sixth.
Garcia (2-4, R, HR, RBI) was joined by 1B Jim Adduci (2-3, R, BB), LF Mark Zagunis (2-4) and DH Taylor Davis (2-2, R, 2 BB) in posting multi-hit efforts. No Omaha batters posted more than one knock, though 1B Ryan O'Hearn and DH Samir Duenez each reached base twice.
Swarmer (7.0 IP, 5 H, R, ER, 3 BB, K) earned the victory, scattering five hits while surrendering the lone run. Southpaw Danny Hultzen (1.0 IP, K) and Craig Kimbrel (1.0 IP, 2 K), who is with Iowa on a Major League Rehab Assignment, combined for the final two hitless frames. Omaha starter Arnaldo Hernandez (5.2 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K) suffered the defeat before Machado's (2.1 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 2 K) 2.1 scoreless innings of work.
The two teams continue their four-game series on Wednesday night, with first pitch scheduled for 7:08pm CT.
Omaha returns to Werner Park on Thursday July 4 to start a four-game set with the Nashville Sounds, with that night's series opener featuring the "Biggest Fireworks in the Omaha Metro" as part of the 51st Annual First National Bank Independence Fireworks Spectacular. First pitch of the series opener is scheduled for 7:05pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 26, 2019
- Quartet of Redbirds Extend Hitting Streaks - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Claims 5-4 Win over Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Express Come Back to Top Missions 4-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Score 17 in Come-From-Behind Win - Nashville Sounds
- Baby Cakes Bounce Dodgers, 3-1 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Cakes Even Series with a Pair of Home Runs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- OF Yadiel Hernandez & RHP Dakota Bacus to Represent Fresno at AAA ASG - Fresno Grizzlies
- Iowa Native Rea Selected to PCL All-Star Team - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (33-45) vs Nashville Sounds (32-45) - Memphis Redbirds
- Express OF Kyle Tucker, RHP Cy Sneed Named to PCL All-Star Team - Round Rock Express
- Pacific Coast League Announces 2019 All-Star Roster - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 26, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (32-45) at Memphis Redbirds (33-45) - Nashville Sounds
- Will Smith and Kevin Quackenbush Named to Triple-A All-Star Game - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Woodford, Ravelo Named PCL All-Stars - Memphis Redbirds
- Three Aces Selected to 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Reno Aces
- Four Missions Named to Pacific Coast League All-Star Team - San Antonio Missions
- Diaz Named to PCL All-Star Team - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Daza, Hilliard, Valaika Elected Starters in 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Pitchers David Carpenter and Seth Maness Named Pacific Coast League All-Stars - Nashville Sounds
- PCL Reveals 2019 All-Star Roster - PCL
- Ronald McDonald House Charities Named Title Partner of the 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ward Selected as Pacific Coast League All-Star - Salt Lake Bees
- Tucker, Hiura, Urias Among PCL All-Stars - Las Vegas Aviators
- OKC Dodgers and Kimray Partner to Benefit OKC Foster Care and Family Service Organizations Via Kimray Kids - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Minor League Baseball Launches "Hope at Bat" Fundraising and Awareness Initiative with American Cancer Society - PCL
- Reaching a Baseball Milestone - San Antonio Missions
- Stevenson continues torrid streak in Tacos 11-5 setback to Aviators - Fresno Grizzlies
- 20 Hits Just enough for Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Blank Stingers - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats come up just short in wild game vs. Chihuahuas - Sacramento River Cats
- Early Rainiers Lead Wiped out in Loss to Albuquerque - Tacoma Rainiers
- Taylor Widener Sharp in Aces Shutout Victory - Reno Aces
- Mariachis Win 9-7 as Hoffman Establishes Strikeout Record - Albuquerque Isotopes
- I-Cubs Ice Chasers 5-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chasers Walk off 3-2 After Falling 12-9 in Suspended Game - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Upended in Series Opener - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Derail Express 10-2 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Dodgers Hit Back-to-Back Homers in 8-5 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- Storm Chasers Debut New Jingle Ahead of 2021 Season
- Major League Baseball Announces Delay of 2021 Triple-A Season
- Storm Chasers Announce Thank You Tuesdays Presented by Atlas MedStaff
- Storm Chasers Announce Coaching Staff for 2021 Season
- Storm Chasers Announce 2021 Schedule