Express Come Back to Top Missions 4-2
SAN ANTONIO, Texas - The Round Rock Express (46-32) came back from a late deficit to plate three runs in the ninth and top the San Antonio Missions (49-30) by a 4-2 final on Wednesday night at Nelson W. Wolff Municipal Stadium.
Round Rock LHP Reymin Guduan (2-1, 3.45) earned the win after pitching a scoreless eighth inning in which he struck out three Missions hitters. San Antonio RHP Miguel Sanchez (2-3, 4.95) suffered the loss after allowing three runs on three hits in a ninth inning appearance out of the Missions bullpen.
The Express and Missions battled through a five-inning pitcher's duel until the E-Train finally broke through in the sixth. C Jamie Ritchie led off the frame with a double and advanced to third on a Davis Freitas passed ball. SS Jack Mayfield then singled Ritchie home to give Round Rock a 1-0 lead.
However, San Antonio spoiled the fun in the home half of the seventh as Troy Stokes Jr. notched a two-run homer that scored Nate Orf, who had previously led off the inning with a single.
In the ninth, 3B Nick Tanielu notched a double and advanced to third on a wild pitch. 2B Josh Rojas then used a one-out double to send Tanielu home and level the score at two. Round Rock poured it on from there as Rojas raced to third on the Missions second wild pitch. The next at-bat, 1B AJ Reed was intentionally walked and CF Drew Ferguson entered the game as a pinch runner for Reed shortly after. Ritchie then advanced the pair on a fielder's choice, plating Rojas, to put the E-Train back on top 3-2. RF Chas McCormick then provided an insurance run with an RBI single that drove Ferguson home.
Express RHP Felipe Paulino held the Missions to a scoreless ninth inning, earning his second save to lock in a 4-2 comeback victory for the E-Train.
Round Rock and San Antonio meet for a crucial game three on Thursday night. The starting pitchers for each team are to be announced. First pitch at Nelson W. Wolff Municipal Stadium is set for 7:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 26, 2019
- Quartet of Redbirds Extend Hitting Streaks - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Claims 5-4 Win over Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Express Come Back to Top Missions 4-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Score 17 in Come-From-Behind Win - Nashville Sounds
- Baby Cakes Bounce Dodgers, 3-1 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Cakes Even Series with a Pair of Home Runs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- OF Yadiel Hernandez & RHP Dakota Bacus to Represent Fresno at AAA ASG - Fresno Grizzlies
- Iowa Native Rea Selected to PCL All-Star Team - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (33-45) vs Nashville Sounds (32-45) - Memphis Redbirds
- Express OF Kyle Tucker, RHP Cy Sneed Named to PCL All-Star Team - Round Rock Express
- Pacific Coast League Announces 2019 All-Star Roster - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 26, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (32-45) at Memphis Redbirds (33-45) - Nashville Sounds
- Will Smith and Kevin Quackenbush Named to Triple-A All-Star Game - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Woodford, Ravelo Named PCL All-Stars - Memphis Redbirds
- Three Aces Selected to 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Reno Aces
- Four Missions Named to Pacific Coast League All-Star Team - San Antonio Missions
- Diaz Named to PCL All-Star Team - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Daza, Hilliard, Valaika Elected Starters in 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Pitchers David Carpenter and Seth Maness Named Pacific Coast League All-Stars - Nashville Sounds
- PCL Reveals 2019 All-Star Roster - PCL
- Ronald McDonald House Charities Named Title Partner of the 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ward Selected as Pacific Coast League All-Star - Salt Lake Bees
- Tucker, Hiura, Urias Among PCL All-Stars - Las Vegas Aviators
- OKC Dodgers and Kimray Partner to Benefit OKC Foster Care and Family Service Organizations Via Kimray Kids - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Minor League Baseball Launches "Hope at Bat" Fundraising and Awareness Initiative with American Cancer Society - PCL
- Reaching a Baseball Milestone - San Antonio Missions
- Stevenson continues torrid streak in Tacos 11-5 setback to Aviators - Fresno Grizzlies
- 20 Hits Just enough for Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Blank Stingers - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats come up just short in wild game vs. Chihuahuas - Sacramento River Cats
- Early Rainiers Lead Wiped out in Loss to Albuquerque - Tacoma Rainiers
- Taylor Widener Sharp in Aces Shutout Victory - Reno Aces
- Mariachis Win 9-7 as Hoffman Establishes Strikeout Record - Albuquerque Isotopes
- I-Cubs Ice Chasers 5-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chasers Walk off 3-2 After Falling 12-9 in Suspended Game - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Upended in Series Opener - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Derail Express 10-2 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Dodgers Hit Back-to-Back Homers in 8-5 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Former Express OF Yordan Alvarez Named AL Rookie of the Year
- Round Rock Express Name OF Kyle Tucker Most Valuable Player
- Round Rock Express 2019 Full-Season Game Notes
- Round Rock Express Partners with StellarAlgo
- Round Rock Express INF Abraham Toro, RHP Cristian Javier Named Houston Astros Minor League Players of the Year