Ward Selected as Pacific Coast League All-Star
SALT LAKE CITY - Salt Lake Bees outfielder Taylor Ward was selected as a 2019 Pacific Coast League All-Star, as announced by the PCL today. Ward, 25, is in his second season with Salt Lake and was originally drafted by the Angels in the first round (26th overall) in the 2015 MLB June Amateur Draft out of Fresno State University. A former catcher, Ward transitioned to third base last season and has added left field to his repertoire in 2019. At the plate this season Ward enters Thursday with a .300 batting average and .430 on base percentage and ranks in the top 10 in the PCL in on base percentage, slugging percentage, OPS and walks drawn. Ward has a career-high 16 home runs this season which ranks second on the Bees.
The Indio, California native made his Major League debut on August 14, 2018 with the Angels collecting a pair of hits against the Padres. Ward also launched a walk-off home run for the Halos on the final game of the 2018 season to beat Oakland and has appeared in six games for the Angels this season.
Ward becomes the 37th Triple-A All-Star in franchise history and will be joined in El Paso by Bees pitching coach Pat Rice who was named tot he All-Star coaching staff last week. Other notable Salt Lake All-Stars include Jeremy Rhoades (2018), Kaleb Cowart (2016), Kole Calhoun (2012), Mark Trumbo (2010), Howie Kendrick (2006) and Todd Walker (2000).
The 32nd Annual Triple-A All-Star Game will be held at Southwest University Park, home of the El Paso Chihuahuas on Wednesday, July 10. The game will be broadcast national on MLB Network beginning at 7 p.m. MT and will also be available online at MiLB.tv, MLBNetwork.com and on the MiLB First Pitch app.
The Bees have three games remaining in their current homestand against the Reno Aces with first pitch coming at 7:05 at Smith's Balllpark on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night. After a brief road trip to Tacoma, Salt Lake returns home to celebrate Independence Day weekend with fireworks shows following the games on July 4, 5 and 6. Tickets and more information is available at www.slbees.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 26, 2019
- Quartet of Redbirds Extend Hitting Streaks - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Claims 5-4 Win over Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Express Come Back to Top Missions 4-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Score 17 in Come-From-Behind Win - Nashville Sounds
- Baby Cakes Bounce Dodgers, 3-1 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Cakes Even Series with a Pair of Home Runs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- OF Yadiel Hernandez & RHP Dakota Bacus to Represent Fresno at AAA ASG - Fresno Grizzlies
- Iowa Native Rea Selected to PCL All-Star Team - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (33-45) vs Nashville Sounds (32-45) - Memphis Redbirds
- Express OF Kyle Tucker, RHP Cy Sneed Named to PCL All-Star Team - Round Rock Express
- Pacific Coast League Announces 2019 All-Star Roster - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 26, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (32-45) at Memphis Redbirds (33-45) - Nashville Sounds
- Will Smith and Kevin Quackenbush Named to Triple-A All-Star Game - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Woodford, Ravelo Named PCL All-Stars - Memphis Redbirds
- Three Aces Selected to 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Reno Aces
- Four Missions Named to Pacific Coast League All-Star Team - San Antonio Missions
- Diaz Named to PCL All-Star Team - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Daza, Hilliard, Valaika Elected Starters in 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Pitchers David Carpenter and Seth Maness Named Pacific Coast League All-Stars - Nashville Sounds
- PCL Reveals 2019 All-Star Roster - PCL
- Ronald McDonald House Charities Named Title Partner of the 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ward Selected as Pacific Coast League All-Star - Salt Lake Bees
- Tucker, Hiura, Urias Among PCL All-Stars - Las Vegas Aviators
- OKC Dodgers and Kimray Partner to Benefit OKC Foster Care and Family Service Organizations Via Kimray Kids - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Minor League Baseball Launches "Hope at Bat" Fundraising and Awareness Initiative with American Cancer Society - PCL
- Reaching a Baseball Milestone - San Antonio Missions
- Stevenson continues torrid streak in Tacos 11-5 setback to Aviators - Fresno Grizzlies
- 20 Hits Just enough for Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Blank Stingers - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats come up just short in wild game vs. Chihuahuas - Sacramento River Cats
- Early Rainiers Lead Wiped out in Loss to Albuquerque - Tacoma Rainiers
- Taylor Widener Sharp in Aces Shutout Victory - Reno Aces
- Mariachis Win 9-7 as Hoffman Establishes Strikeout Record - Albuquerque Isotopes
- I-Cubs Ice Chasers 5-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chasers Walk off 3-2 After Falling 12-9 in Suspended Game - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Upended in Series Opener - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions Derail Express 10-2 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Dodgers Hit Back-to-Back Homers in 8-5 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.