Sens Stumble against Toronto
The Toronto Marlies claimed a 4-2 win over the Belleville Senators Friday night at CAA Arena.
Joey Daccord made 29 saves for Belleville while Jack Dougherty, and Vitaly Abramov scored. Toronto's Mason Marchment, Kenny Agostino, Igor Korshkov and Matt Read had goals as Kasimir Kaskisuo stopped 26 shots.
Toronto thought they had opened the scoring through Matt Read on the power play but Andreas Englund somehow kept the puck out of the net with his body as the Marlies forward had a wide open cage to bury the puck.
The Sens would jump out to a 1-0 lead at 8:46 through Dougherty's fourth goal of the season on a quick snap shot from the edge of the left circle after Vitaly Abramov found the Sens d-man jumping into the play. Toronto tied the game with 47.7 seconds left in the frame as Marchment buried Agostino's pass from behind the net.
It took just 2:29 into the second for the Sens to regain the lead as Jordan Murray found Abramov with a fantastic stretch pass before the Russian forward snapped a 13-game goalless streak by beating Kaskisuo five-hole on a breakaway. Agostino made it 2-2 at 9:22 on the power play as he knocked in a loose puck out front after Daccord made the initial save.
Toronto took its first lead of the game with 1:43 left in the second through Korshkov who slid the puck under Daccord's pad on a partial break during 4-on-4 action.
It was 4-2 Toronto with 11:14 to play as Scott Wilson's shot hit the backboards and bounced to the right side of the net where Read was able to deposit his eighth of the season.
The Sens couldn't crack Kaskisuo in the third period, a frame that ended with the returning Christian Wolanin dropping the gloves with Adam Brooks in his first game back from shoulder surgery.
Sens forward Joseph LaBate played in his 250th career AHL game. The loss snapped the Sens' franchise record seven-game winning streak.
The Senators return to action tomorrow afternoon when they visit Toronto. The Sens are home again Monday when they host Syracuse on Family Day. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 14, 2020
- Rampage Edge Stars 3-2 in Shootout - Texas Stars
- Rocket Lose 3-1 to Wolf Pack - Laval Rocket
- Kahkonen Blanks Gulls as Iowa Takes 3-0 Decision - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Push Past Monsters on Elson's Late Goal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sens Stumble against Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Phantoms Win, You Love to See It - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Fall to Devils in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Top Comets, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- St. Denis, Holmstrom each score to help Bridgeport collect a point for the third straight game - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Penguins Upended in Providence, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Top Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Pack Tops Rocket, 3-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Comeback Stalled in 4-2 Loss to Griffins - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Tie Game Late, Win in OT over Bears 4-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Comeback Attempt Stalled in Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Condors Host Pirates and Princess Night Tomorrow - Bakersfield Condors
- AHL Releases Statement Regarding Forfeited Game against Toronto on January 10 - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Statement Regarding January 10 Toronto-Texas Game - AHL
- Marlies Open Home-And-Home with Senators Tonight in Belleville - Toronto Marlies
- AHL Board of Governors Elects Scott Howson as Next President and CEO - AHL
- Join the IceHogs for Bar Olympics at Savoy Lounge - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds Visit Checkers for Two-Game Set - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Flyers Loan Morgan Frost to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- San Diego Gulls Announce Schedule Change for February 22 - San Diego Gulls
- Sens Release Todd from PTO - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Give Away Fanny Packs as Part of '90s Night Next Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Start Packed Home Weekend Friday against Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Forward T.J. Tynan Recalled by Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Rangers Recall Joey Keane from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 'Ride the Rails up to the Show' Promotion Gets Underway this Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Chlapik Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Hosting Annual Hometown Heroes Night Saturday, February 22 against Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Alex Volkov to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Marlies, February 14 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Devils, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- No Love Lost Between Rivals this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Jakob Lilja from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- IceHogs Down Moose, 5-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- Ottawa's 2021 23-Man Roster Includes Seven Belleville Graduates Plus Three More on Taxi Squad
- Colby Williams Signs One Year AHL Contract with the Belleville Senators
- Cole Reinhardt Earns Amateur Tryout with Belleville Senators
- LaBate Inks a New AHL Contract with the Belleville Senators
- Cole Cassels Rejoins Belleville Senators on One Year AHL Deal