Devils Tie Game Late, Win in OT over Bears 4-3
BINGHAMTON - Jesper Boqvist tied the game late and Michael McLeod won the game in overtime as the Binghamton Devils defeated the Hershey Bears, 4-3, inside Floyd L Maines Veterans Memorial Arena on Friday night.
Hershey's Tyler Lewington started off the scoring just 2:26 into the first period with a blast from the right circle. Kody Clark slid a pass from behind the net out to Lewington whose shot flew past the right shoulder of Cory Schneider into the top right corner of the net. Clark picked up the sole assist on Lewington's third goal of the season for the Bears' 1-0 lead.
The Bears struck again with eight minutes remaining in the first. Garrett Pilon fired a shot from the hash marks on the power play and beat Schneider for a 2-0 lead for Hershey. The goal was Pilon's 15th of the year with assists from Christian Djoos and Bobby Nardella and came at the 12:00 mark of the first period.
Binghamton answered the early deficit with 4:51 remaining in the first. A pass around the back of the net from Egor Sharangovich bounced across the front of the net and a waiting Marian Studenic tapped the rolling puck past goaltender Pheonix Copley to pull within one, 2-1. Sharangovich logged the only assist on Studenic's fourth goal of the season and the Devils trailed 2-1 after one period.
The Devils got off to a quick start in the second, tying the game at two just 5:13 into the period. Jesper Boqvist fired a wrist shot from the left circle and beat Copley to tie the game 2-2. Brett Seney and Nathan Bastian recorded the assists on Boqvist's second of the year
The second power-play goal of the game for Hershey came with 2:16 remaining in the middle stanza. Phillippe Maillet sent a pass over from the right side, connecting with Pilon in front of the net. Pilon lifted a shot into the back of the net, surpassing Schneider, and bringing the Bears to a 3-2 lead. Maillet and Nardella logged the assists on Pilon's second of the night and 16th of the year and Hershey took the 3-2 lead into the third.
With 2:17 remaining in the final frame, the Devils tied the score at three. Ben Street's initial shot was blocked, causing a mass scramble in front of the net. Bastian's attempt to poke it in was denied but finally, Boqvist tallied his second goal of the night when, after finding an open space beside Copley, he managed to pop it into the back of the net. Bastian and Street were credited with the assists on the play.
Binghamton picked up the winning goal just 30 seconds into the overtime period. Kyle Cumiskey passed the puck up to Michael McLeod to the net all alone from the blue line. Grabbing the puck, McLeod flipped a quick shot into the net past a diving Copley who misjudged the direction of McLeod, giving the Devils the 4-3 win. Schneider stopped 28 of 31 shots in the win and Copley stopped 17 of 21 shots in the loss.
After three games on the road, the Devils are back home Friday and Saturday, February 21 and 22 against the Charlotte Checkers. Friday, college students can get $10 tickets every Friday home game and a voucher for a FREE drink or slider at Craft! Saturday, the Devils will honor the 40th anniversary of the Miracle On Ice by wearing Team USA themed jerseys followed by a free postgame skate with the players! Tickets are available by calling or texting "TICKETS" to 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils center Michael McLeod vs. the Hershey Bears
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 14, 2020
- Rampage Edge Stars 3-2 in Shootout - Texas Stars
- Rocket Lose 3-1 to Wolf Pack - Laval Rocket
- Kahkonen Blanks Gulls as Iowa Takes 3-0 Decision - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Push Past Monsters on Elson's Late Goal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sens Stumble against Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Phantoms Win, You Love to See It - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Fall to Devils in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Top Comets, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- St. Denis, Holmstrom each score to help Bridgeport collect a point for the third straight game - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Penguins Upended in Providence, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Top Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Pack Tops Rocket, 3-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Comeback Stalled in 4-2 Loss to Griffins - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Tie Game Late, Win in OT over Bears 4-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Comeback Attempt Stalled in Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Condors Host Pirates and Princess Night Tomorrow - Bakersfield Condors
- AHL Releases Statement Regarding Forfeited Game against Toronto on January 10 - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Statement Regarding January 10 Toronto-Texas Game - AHL
- Marlies Open Home-And-Home with Senators Tonight in Belleville - Toronto Marlies
- AHL Board of Governors Elects Scott Howson as Next President and CEO - AHL
- Join the IceHogs for Bar Olympics at Savoy Lounge - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds Visit Checkers for Two-Game Set - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Flyers Loan Morgan Frost to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- San Diego Gulls Announce Schedule Change for February 22 - San Diego Gulls
- Sens Release Todd from PTO - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Give Away Fanny Packs as Part of '90s Night Next Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Start Packed Home Weekend Friday against Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Forward T.J. Tynan Recalled by Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Rangers Recall Joey Keane from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 'Ride the Rails up to the Show' Promotion Gets Underway this Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Chlapik Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Hosting Annual Hometown Heroes Night Saturday, February 22 against Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Alex Volkov to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Marlies, February 14 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Devils, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- No Love Lost Between Rivals this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Jakob Lilja from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- IceHogs Down Moose, 5-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.