Bears Fall to Devils in Overtime
(Binghamton, NY) - Garrett Pilon scored twice for the Chocolate and White, but the Hershey Bears dropped a 4-3 overtime decision to the Binghamton Devils on Friday night. Jesper Boqvist tied the score with 2:18 remaining before Michael McLeod walked the game off for the Devils in sudden-death.
The Bears jumped out to a 2-0 advantage in the opening frame before the Devils rallied to draw even. At 2:26, Tyler Lewington bombed a shot past Devils' Cory Schneider after activating from the right point. Kody Clark received the lone helper after feeding Lewington on the backhand from behind the net. At 12:00, Hershey doubled their lead on Pilon's first of two power play strikes. After a pass across deflected to Pilon, he beat Schneider high, glove-side.
Before the period expired, Binghamton solved Pheonix Copley to cut their deficit in half. Marian Studenic crept into the low-slot and buried a pass to the front from Egor Sharangovich at 15:09. Shots after 20 minutes were 12-7 Hershey with the Bears leading by one.
Next period, Boqvist scored his first of two game-tying goals. On the man-advantage, Boqvist released a shot from the left wing after gaining the zone and beat Copley along the stick side at 5:13. Back to work on the power play after Binghamton's Colby Sissons was boxed for hooking at 17:14, Pilon struck again. Positioned once more between the face-off circles, he received a feed from Philippe Maillet and beat Schneider at 17:44. Shots after 40 minutes were 25-15 Bears with the Chocolate and White clinging to a one-goal lead.
Down the stretch in the final frame, Binghamton elected to pull Schneider in favor of an extra attacker after the Bears were guilty of icing. On the 6-on-5 advantage, Boqvist scored his second at 17:42 to even the score at 3-3 and force sudden-death overtime. Only 30 seconds into the extra session, McLeod walked in unmarked on Copley and buried his seventh goal of the season to complete Binghamton's comeback.
The Hershey Bears record moves to 31-15-3-3 and sit tops in the Atlantic Division at 68 points. The Bears finished the night leading in shots, 31-21, 2-for-6 on the power play and 2-for-3 on the penalty kill.
Hershey returns to action tomorrow night to complete a home-and-home set against the Binghamton Devils. It's Ames Janitorial Services Rally Towel Night for the first 5,000 fans at Giant Center. Puck drop between the Bears and Devils is scheduled for 7 PM. Ticket information is available online at HersheyBears.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 14, 2020
- Rampage Edge Stars 3-2 in Shootout - Texas Stars
- Rocket Lose 3-1 to Wolf Pack - Laval Rocket
- Kahkonen Blanks Gulls as Iowa Takes 3-0 Decision - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Push Past Monsters on Elson's Late Goal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sens Stumble against Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Phantoms Win, You Love to See It - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Fall to Devils in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Top Comets, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- St. Denis, Holmstrom each score to help Bridgeport collect a point for the third straight game - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Penguins Upended in Providence, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Top Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Pack Tops Rocket, 3-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Comeback Stalled in 4-2 Loss to Griffins - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Tie Game Late, Win in OT over Bears 4-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Comeback Attempt Stalled in Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Condors Host Pirates and Princess Night Tomorrow - Bakersfield Condors
- AHL Releases Statement Regarding Forfeited Game against Toronto on January 10 - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Statement Regarding January 10 Toronto-Texas Game - AHL
- Marlies Open Home-And-Home with Senators Tonight in Belleville - Toronto Marlies
- AHL Board of Governors Elects Scott Howson as Next President and CEO - AHL
- Join the IceHogs for Bar Olympics at Savoy Lounge - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds Visit Checkers for Two-Game Set - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Flyers Loan Morgan Frost to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- San Diego Gulls Announce Schedule Change for February 22 - San Diego Gulls
- Sens Release Todd from PTO - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Give Away Fanny Packs as Part of '90s Night Next Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Start Packed Home Weekend Friday against Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Forward T.J. Tynan Recalled by Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Rangers Recall Joey Keane from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 'Ride the Rails up to the Show' Promotion Gets Underway this Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Chlapik Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Hosting Annual Hometown Heroes Night Saturday, February 22 against Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Alex Volkov to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Marlies, February 14 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Devils, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- No Love Lost Between Rivals this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Jakob Lilja from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- IceHogs Down Moose, 5-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.