Griffins Push Past Monsters on Elson's Late Goal
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - Turner Elson smacked a backhand under the glove of Veini Vehvilainen with 1:23 remaining on Friday and Joe Veleno added an empty-netter to push the Grand Rapids Griffins past the Cleveland Monsters by a 4-2 count at Van Andel Arena.
Pat Nagle posted his fourth win in his last five decisions by turning aside 19 shots, as Grand Rapids (23-22-3-4) avenged Tuesday's 6-2 loss on the southern shores of Lake Erie and moved back into a tie for third place in the Central Division with the Chicago Wolves.
The Griffins, who improved to 9-3-1-2 in their last 15 games, will now embark on a three-game trip to the Land of Lincoln, beginning with an 8 p.m. EST tilt on Saturday against their deadlocked rivals from the Windy City.
After a scoreless opening period, Calvin Thurkauf put the Monsters on top 2:54 into the second. Taking a pass at center ice, he sped down the right side and muscled his way around Michael Rasmussen in the circle before scooping a shot past Nagle and inside the far post.
Later in the frame, the Griffins answered with a pair of goals 32 seconds apart to seize a 2-1 lead. Jarid Lukosevicius potted a shot into the top left corner from the slot at 14:31 after pouncing on a Chase Pearson centering pass that deflected off Cleveland defenseman Steve Johnson. Evgeny Svechnikov then stretched his career-high goal streak to four games by one-timing Taro Hirose's feed past the glove of Vehvilainen from the left hashmarks, extending Hirose's point streak to seven games.
Cleveland (23-24-2-2) pulled even 4:35 into the third period. After Markus Hannikainen made a nice play to knock down an outlet attempt along the right boards, Derek Barach quickly sent a pass to an uncovered Kole Sherwood for a point-blank backdoor goal that Nagle had little chance on.
With time ticking down, the Griffins won a faceoff in the Monsters' zone, and Moritz Seider sent a feed toward the left corner that Elson batted to the ice and punched past the netminder from the hashmarks. Veleno then put a wraparound into a vacated net to seal matters with 10 seconds left.
Vehvilainen stopped 29 of 32 shots in the loss. The Griffins (0-for-4) and Monsters (0-for-3) combined to go scoreless in seven power play attempts.
Three Stars: 1. GR Elson (game-winning goal); 2. GR Svechnikov (goal); 3. CLE Thurkauf (goal)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 14, 2020
- Rampage Edge Stars 3-2 in Shootout - Texas Stars
- Rocket Lose 3-1 to Wolf Pack - Laval Rocket
- Kahkonen Blanks Gulls as Iowa Takes 3-0 Decision - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Push Past Monsters on Elson's Late Goal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sens Stumble against Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Phantoms Win, You Love to See It - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Fall to Devils in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Top Comets, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- St. Denis, Holmstrom each score to help Bridgeport collect a point for the third straight game - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Penguins Upended in Providence, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Top Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Pack Tops Rocket, 3-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Comeback Stalled in 4-2 Loss to Griffins - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Tie Game Late, Win in OT over Bears 4-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Comeback Attempt Stalled in Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Condors Host Pirates and Princess Night Tomorrow - Bakersfield Condors
- AHL Releases Statement Regarding Forfeited Game against Toronto on January 10 - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Statement Regarding January 10 Toronto-Texas Game - AHL
- Marlies Open Home-And-Home with Senators Tonight in Belleville - Toronto Marlies
- AHL Board of Governors Elects Scott Howson as Next President and CEO - AHL
- Join the IceHogs for Bar Olympics at Savoy Lounge - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds Visit Checkers for Two-Game Set - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Flyers Loan Morgan Frost to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- San Diego Gulls Announce Schedule Change for February 22 - San Diego Gulls
- Sens Release Todd from PTO - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Give Away Fanny Packs as Part of '90s Night Next Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Start Packed Home Weekend Friday against Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Forward T.J. Tynan Recalled by Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Rangers Recall Joey Keane from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 'Ride the Rails up to the Show' Promotion Gets Underway this Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Chlapik Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Hosting Annual Hometown Heroes Night Saturday, February 22 against Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Alex Volkov to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Marlies, February 14 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Devils, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- No Love Lost Between Rivals this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Jakob Lilja from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- IceHogs Down Moose, 5-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.