T-Birds Visit Checkers for Two-Game Set
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Springfield Thunderbirds (26-23-2-0) wrap up a five-game road trip as they square off twice with the Charlotte Checkers (29-17-3-0) for a 6:00 p.m. puck drop on Saturday and a 1:00 p.m. puck drop on Sunday inside the Bojangles' Coliseum.
The two clubs have not met since Nov. 9, also inside the home of the Checkers. That evening, the T-Birds ended a personal two-game slide against Charlotte thanks to a game-tying goal in the final minute of regulation by Brady Keeper and an overtime game-winner by Daniel Audette. Charlotte leads the season series two games to one, but the two teams will square off five more times in the final 25 games of the regular season.
The Checkers enter the weekend as one of the hottest teams in the AHL, having won five games in a row to catapult themselves into the third position in the Atlantic Division. Charlotte boasts five players who have posted 34 or more points in the season, led by Janne Kuokkanen's 39 points (11g, 28a). Defender Roland McKeown leads the season series with four points in three games against the Thunderbirds.
Springfield is looking to bounce back from a tough start to the road trip, having lost its last three contests. Despite the results, the Thunderbirds still sit just four points back of playoff position with 25 games to play. Anthony Greco leads the T-Birds in the season series with Charlotte, averaging a point per game over the prior three contests. Greco returned to the lineup on Saturday in Hershey after missing the prior 16 games due to injury.
At the conclusion of this weekend's set, the T-Birds return home on Friday, Feb. 21 for a tangle with the Hartford Wolf Pack inside the MassMutual Center at 7:05 p.m.
For Springfield Thunderbirds ticket information, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 14, 2020
- Rampage Edge Stars 3-2 in Shootout - Texas Stars
- Rocket Lose 3-1 to Wolf Pack - Laval Rocket
- Kahkonen Blanks Gulls as Iowa Takes 3-0 Decision - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Push Past Monsters on Elson's Late Goal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sens Stumble against Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Phantoms Win, You Love to See It - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Fall to Devils in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Top Comets, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- St. Denis, Holmstrom each score to help Bridgeport collect a point for the third straight game - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Penguins Upended in Providence, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Top Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Pack Tops Rocket, 3-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Comeback Stalled in 4-2 Loss to Griffins - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Tie Game Late, Win in OT over Bears 4-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Comeback Attempt Stalled in Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Condors Host Pirates and Princess Night Tomorrow - Bakersfield Condors
- AHL Releases Statement Regarding Forfeited Game against Toronto on January 10 - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Statement Regarding January 10 Toronto-Texas Game - AHL
- Marlies Open Home-And-Home with Senators Tonight in Belleville - Toronto Marlies
- AHL Board of Governors Elects Scott Howson as Next President and CEO - AHL
- Join the IceHogs for Bar Olympics at Savoy Lounge - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds Visit Checkers for Two-Game Set - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Flyers Loan Morgan Frost to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- San Diego Gulls Announce Schedule Change for February 22 - San Diego Gulls
- Sens Release Todd from PTO - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Give Away Fanny Packs as Part of '90s Night Next Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Start Packed Home Weekend Friday against Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Forward T.J. Tynan Recalled by Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Rangers Recall Joey Keane from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 'Ride the Rails up to the Show' Promotion Gets Underway this Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Chlapik Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Hosting Annual Hometown Heroes Night Saturday, February 22 against Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Alex Volkov to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Marlies, February 14 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Devils, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- No Love Lost Between Rivals this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Jakob Lilja from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- IceHogs Down Moose, 5-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- Springfield Thunderbirds Announce Voluntary Suspension for 2020-2021 AHL Season
- Thunderbirds Donate over 1,000 Stuffed Animals
- Thunderbirds Foundation Donates $15,000 to the Rays of Hope
- Thunderbirds Honored by AHL for Ticket Sales Excellence
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 19-20 Season