Rampage Nip Milwaukee 5-4 in a Shootout
SAN ANTONIO (Jan. 16, 2014) - After goalie changes for both teams, three different tiebreakers, and a second-straight shootout, the San Antonio Rampage (15-20-1-3) defeated the Milwaukee Admirals (18-11-5-2) 5-4 tonight in front of 3,294 at the AT&T Center.
Joey Crabb scored two power-play goals, and Wade Megan and Bobby Butler each added a goal in regulation. Butler's goal was his 12th of the year and his 50th career AHL goal. Vince Trocheck and Logan Shaw netted shootout markers, with Shaw's coming as the winner. Garrett Wilson and Matt Gilroy had two assists on the night, while Megan added an assist as well to be the fourth Rampage player with a two-point effort on the night.
Jacob Markstrom made 17-of-19 saves, while Rob Madore came on in relief at the beginning of the third, stopping 16-of-18 in regulation and overtime, followed by five-of-six in the shootout.
For the third game in a row and fifth time in their last six outings, the Rampage struck first. Just under seven minutes into the first, Gilroy rifled in a shot from the half boards while the Rampage were on the power play, catching Crabb's stick and deflecting it in past Admirals net-minder Magnus Hellberg.
The goal was Crabb's fifth of the year, with the secondary assist going to Doug Janik.
Picking up the puck off the boards at the 14-minute mark, Megan broke into the zone and rifled one over the right shoulder of Hellberg to widen the Rampage's lead to 2-0. Wilson recorded his ninth assist of the year on Megan's fourth goal this season.
Milwaukee would not go quietly, and cut the Rampage lead in half 2:31 later as Mathieu Tousignant tipped a rebound past Markstrom with 3:28 remaining in the opening frame to carry the two teams into the first intermission.
The Ads knotted the game at two 5:50 into the second, as Kevin Henderson was there to cash in on an Austin Watson shot, beating Markstrom to make it 2-2.
Less than three minutes later, the Rampage would kick their power play into high gear yet again. For his second of the night, Crabb caught a pass from Trocheck and bombed one in from the slot for the go-ahead goal.
Gilroy collected the secondary assist on the tally for his second point on the night.
The Ads tied it up at three 1:20 into the third, as Taylor Beck tapped in a backdoor feed on the power play for his 11th of the year.
After a goalie change in favor of Rob Madore for San Antonio, Simon Moser gave Milwaukee their first lead of the night at the 8:07 mark, going high on Madore to make it 4-3.
Just 41 seconds later, Butler found his way through a big scrum in front of Hellberg, sneaking it past the Ads net-minder to even it up at four. The goal, Butler's 12th of the year and 50th career AHL goal, was assisted by Wilson and Megan, and sent the game into overtime for the second-straight night.
Once again, the extra time wasn't enough, and the game headed to the shootout. The Ads experienced a goalie change as well, as Hannu Toivonen came on in relief of Hellberg. Trocheck was the first to score, followed by Milwaukee's Miikka Salomaki, but Shaw came up big, beating Toivonen and giving the Rampage the 5-4 win.
The Rampage went 2-for-6 with the extra man, and Milwaukee cashed in once, going 1-for-4. Rampage owned the shot battle, 40-37.
The Rampage will finish out the week of games with a tilt against the Rochester Americans on Saturday, Jan. 18. The game will be the second of five FOX Sports Southwest broadcasts of the season, and will once again feature the "Tune In To Win!" promotion, where fans can tune in to the broadcast and listen for a special keyword to then enter on sarampage.com for a chance to win tickets to a suite night for a Rampage game. Individual and season tickets can be purchased at the Southeast Box Office, by calling a Rampage representative at 210-444-5554, or online at sarampage.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2014
- Barons Fall to Rochester, 4-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Monsters Fall to Wild 6-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets lose to Albany - Utica Comets
- Wolves' Home Winning Streak Ends at Seven - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Slip Past Admirals in Shootout - Norfolk Admirals
- The Pack Strikes Back - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Douse Heat, 3-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Binghamton Bounces Bridgeport 6-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks' Power-Play Too Much for Barons - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Edge Bears 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Shut out Heat 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Sharks Kick off Four Game Road Trip with 4th Straight Win - Worcester Sharks
- Nearly 8,000 Sees Wild Tame Monsters 6-1 - Iowa Wild
- Bruins Exact Revenge on Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Routed by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Senators win over Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons Swoop Past Pirates in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Franchise Mark In 8-3 Win - Albany Devils
- Falcons End Skid, Top Pirates In Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- P-Bruins Defeat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Wolf Pack win 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Morin's Five-Point Night Leads Texas to 7-1 Blowout - Texas Stars
- Crunch Hold on to Defeat Bears - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Drop Monarchs 4-1 - St. John's IceCaps
- Pasq-Walled - Manchester Monarchs
- Comet Tales: Keith Kinkaid - Utica Comets
- Kabanov Loaned to Modo of Swedish Elite League - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Announce Heros Hockey Education Partnership - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Foundation to Host 4th Annual Casino Night - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Assign Klesla to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Dietz, Mayer Join Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Hour on Monday, January - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender John Gibson to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Wild Shuffles the Deck with Three Roster Moves - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Recall Ezekiel; Anaheim Reassigns Bobkov to Utah - Norfolk Admirals
- Florida Panthers Acquire C Ryan Martindale from Edmonton - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Acquire Nebsitt from Oklahoma City, Recall Houser - San Antonio Rampage
- The Great Skate Winterfest Returns this Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Predators Reassign Mazanec to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Jaskin Returns to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Gameday: Comets vs. Albany - Utica Comets
- Texas Stars Return Brock Montgomery to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Jets Re-Assign Carl Klingberg to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bulldogs Home Game on January 26th Moved to 4:00 p.m. - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Frozen Frontier to be Featured in Next Episode of "Beyond Blue & Gold" on MSG - Rochester Americans
- IceCaps Recall Cody Sol; Sign Jamie MacQueen to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Canadiens Recall Beaulieu and Nattinen - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Thomas Larkin Reassigned to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Face Falcons in First of Four at Colisee - Portland Pirates
- Detroit Recalls Emmerton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Nip Milwaukee 5-4 in a Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.