Sharks Slip Past Admirals in Shootout
NORFOLK, VA- Worcester's Yanni Gourde and Dan DaSilva each netted a shootout goal to help the Sharks inch past the Norfolk Admirals 3-2 in the shootout at the Norfolk Scope Friday night. Norfolk (20-13-1-5, 46 pts) does pick up a point in the standings.
Worcester got off to a hot start when Lane Scheidl settled a pass right in front of Norfolk's John Gibson and flicked a backhander past him just a minute and 50 seconds into the opening period.
The Sharks kept the Admirals off the board for the remainder of the first period and entered the second frame with a 1-0 lead. That lead grew six minutes and 23 seconds into the second after Norfolk's Chris Wagner was called for slashing.
Worcester moved the puck around the Norfolk zone and Konrad Abeltshauser found Sena Acolatse with a cross-ice pass. Acolatse wound and fired the one-timer from the left point, beating Gibson's right skate and extending their lead to two.
Minutes after the second Worcester marker, Sharks' winger Jimmy Bonneau caught Norfolk's John Kurtz in the mouth with a high stick and officials punished him with a four-minute double minor penalty.
The Admirals took advantage of that power play when Alex Grant ripped a shot from that point that Steven Whitney helped along with a deflection. Whitney's goal at 16:06 of the second period beat Worcester netminder Harri Sateri and pumped life into a sizeable Norfolk Scope crowd.
Worcester held the 2-1 lead throughout the third and things began to look bleak for Norfolk.
A Max Friberg boarding and game misconduct sent him to the locker room with five minutes to go in regulation. Norfolk held for three minutes with a man down, before Worsceter's DaSilva picked up a high-sticking penalty to even things at 4-on-4. In the closing minute, Norfolk pulled Gibson to allow for the extra attacker.
With the net empty, Norfolk's Jesse Blacker controlled the puck and circled to the middle point. Blacker let it go, but his shot was bodied down by Sateri right to the stick of the Admirals' Dave Steckel. Steckel seized the best scoring chance of the night and plugged the hole behind Sateri, finding the equalizer in dramatic fashion with only 25 seconds left.
The 2-2 tie held through the overtime session and the contest came down to a shootout.
Each goalie faced six shooters with Blacker scoring first on Sateri as the second shooter for Norfolk. Blacker's wrister would be the only goal for the Admirals, while Yanni Gourde and DaSilva each beat Gibson to win it for the Sharks.
Sateri turned away 17 shots in regulation and five in the shootout to secure a 3-2 Worcester victory. Gibson made 24 saves and four more in the duel, dropping his fourth shootout this season.
The two teams will meet again on Saturday in the 7th Annual *Pink in the Rink* game. The two teams will play the game on pink ice, and the night is intended to promote breast cancer awareness and help raise money for the *Tidewater Chapter of Susan G. Komen. *Game time is set for 7:15 p.m.
Game tickets are now on sale, and are available through the Norfolk Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com.
For 10-packs, or discounted group tickets stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, or call (757) 640-1212 Office hours are Monday - Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Fans can also visit us online at www.norfolkadmirals.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2014
- Barons Fall to Rochester, 4-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Monsters Fall to Wild 6-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets lose to Albany - Utica Comets
- Wolves' Home Winning Streak Ends at Seven - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Slip Past Admirals in Shootout - Norfolk Admirals
- The Pack Strikes Back - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Douse Heat, 3-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Binghamton Bounces Bridgeport 6-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks' Power-Play Too Much for Barons - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Edge Bears 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Shut out Heat 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Sharks Kick off Four Game Road Trip with 4th Straight Win - Worcester Sharks
- Nearly 8,000 Sees Wild Tame Monsters 6-1 - Iowa Wild
- Bruins Exact Revenge on Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Routed by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Senators win over Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons Swoop Past Pirates in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Franchise Mark In 8-3 Win - Albany Devils
- Falcons End Skid, Top Pirates In Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- P-Bruins Defeat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Wolf Pack win 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Morin's Five-Point Night Leads Texas to 7-1 Blowout - Texas Stars
- Crunch Hold on to Defeat Bears - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Drop Monarchs 4-1 - St. John's IceCaps
- Pasq-Walled - Manchester Monarchs
- Comet Tales: Keith Kinkaid - Utica Comets
- Kabanov Loaned to Modo of Swedish Elite League - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Announce Heros Hockey Education Partnership - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Foundation to Host 4th Annual Casino Night - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Assign Klesla to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Dietz, Mayer Join Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Hour on Monday, January - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender John Gibson to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Wild Shuffles the Deck with Three Roster Moves - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Recall Ezekiel; Anaheim Reassigns Bobkov to Utah - Norfolk Admirals
- Florida Panthers Acquire C Ryan Martindale from Edmonton - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Acquire Nebsitt from Oklahoma City, Recall Houser - San Antonio Rampage
- The Great Skate Winterfest Returns this Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Predators Reassign Mazanec to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Jaskin Returns to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Gameday: Comets vs. Albany - Utica Comets
- Texas Stars Return Brock Montgomery to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Jets Re-Assign Carl Klingberg to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bulldogs Home Game on January 26th Moved to 4:00 p.m. - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Frozen Frontier to be Featured in Next Episode of "Beyond Blue & Gold" on MSG - Rochester Americans
- IceCaps Recall Cody Sol; Sign Jamie MacQueen to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Canadiens Recall Beaulieu and Nattinen - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Thomas Larkin Reassigned to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Face Falcons in First of Four at Colisee - Portland Pirates
- Detroit Recalls Emmerton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Nip Milwaukee 5-4 in a Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Campagna's Late Goal Lifts Admirals over Mariners
- Dornbrock Scores First Goal with Admirals in Loss to Jacksonville
- Norfolk Admirals Announce New Season Ticket Packages for 2020-21 Season
- Theut's 36 Saves Propels Admirals to 5-1 Victory
- Admirals Acquire Three Players from Cincinnati for B. Holmstrom, Coughlin