Wolf Pack win 4-2
Glens Falls, NY - Andrew Yogan's early third-period goal was the winner for the Hartford Wolf Pack Friday night at the Glens Falls Civic Center, in a 4-2 victory over the Adirondack Phantoms.
After the Wolf Pack had trailed 1-0 and 2-1, Yogan put the Wolf Pack ahead 1:24 into the third. Yogan was allowed to step out from behind the net to the left of Adirondack goaltender Cal Heeter, and Yogan snapped a shot between Heeter and the goal post.
Ryan Bourque and Darroll Powe also scored for Hartford, and Jesper Fast had an empty-netter. Aaron Johnson had three assists and J.T. Miller had a pair of helpouts. David LeNeveu made 26 saves to get the win in his first Wolf Pack game of the year.
The victory snapped an 0-5-0-1 streak for the Wolf Pack, who improved to 12-20-0-5 for 29 points on the season.
"I thought it was a much better effort," Wolf Pack head coach Ken Gernander said. "We took some penalties that certainly we can't afford to take, and we'll have to address that, but by and large it was a pretty good effort and I liked a lot of things in the game."
Jason Akeson had a goal and an assist for Adirondack, and ex-Wolf Pack Kris Newbury also scored for the Phantoms.
Power plays ruled the day in the first period, as the two clubs combined for three man-advantage goals, two by Adirondack.
The Phantoms grabbed the game's first lead at 5:55 of the first frame, on an Akeson slap shot from the middle of the blue line. Brandon Manning fed a pass to Akeson, whose shot got by the stick side of LeNeveu, who signed an AHL contract with the Wolf Pack Tuesday.
The Wolf Pack tied it at 9:20, with Zack FitzGerald in the box for interference. Ryan Bourque scored his eighth of the year, and extended a point-scoring streak to a pro career-high five games, when he deflected the puck in from close range to the left of Adirondack goaltender Cal Heeter (33 saves), after Johnson snapped it at the net from the left circle.
Newbury put Adirondack back in front with 2:23 remaining in the period, after Micheal Haley picked up four minutes in penalties at 14:46.
Manning set Newbury up at the top of the right circle, and Newbury released his shot quickly and got it behind LeNeveu.
The Wolf Pack got the only goal of the second period, and it was the third in the last five games for Powe, at 6:02. Johnson worked the puck off the left-wing boards to Powe at the top of the circle, and Powe unloaded a perfect shot that went off the post on Heeter's stick side and into the net.
That came after Fast was awarded a penalty shot at 4:53, after he got behind the Phantom defense and was knocked off stride by Oliver Lauridsen. Heeter, though, made a pad save on Fast's penalty-shot attempt.
Yogan's goal was part of a strong third-period effort by the Wolf Pack, who outshot Adirondack 15-8 in the third. Fast put the final touch on the victory with 3.5 seconds left, taking a pass from Oscar Lindberg and sliding the puck into the empty net from just above the left-wing faceoff dot, after the Phantoms had pulled Heeter.
The Wolf Pack's next action is this Sunday, January 19, a 3:00 PM game in Bridgeport against the Sound Tigers. All the action of that battle can be heard live on Fox Sports Radio 1410, and on-line at www.foxsportsradio1410.com and iHeartRadio. Video streaming is available at www.ahllive.com.
The Wolf Pack's next home game is Friday, January 24, a 7:00 PM contest against the Springfield Falcons. All Wolf Pack Friday-night home games feature $1 hot dogs and $2 beers through the start of the second period, presented by Marc's Appliance Warehouse, located at 75 Prospect Ave., Hartford, CT.
Tickets for all Wolf Pack 2013-14 home games are on sale now at the Public Power Ticket Office at the XL Center, on-line at www.hartfordwolfpack.com and by phone at (877) 522-8499. Wolf Pack tickets start as low as $12 for youth 12 years old or younger. To speak with a representative about season or group tickets, call (855) 762-6451.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2014
- Barons Fall to Rochester, 4-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Monsters Fall to Wild 6-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets lose to Albany - Utica Comets
- Wolves' Home Winning Streak Ends at Seven - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Slip Past Admirals in Shootout - Norfolk Admirals
- The Pack Strikes Back - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Douse Heat, 3-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Binghamton Bounces Bridgeport 6-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks' Power-Play Too Much for Barons - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Edge Bears 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Shut out Heat 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Sharks Kick off Four Game Road Trip with 4th Straight Win - Worcester Sharks
- Nearly 8,000 Sees Wild Tame Monsters 6-1 - Iowa Wild
- Bruins Exact Revenge on Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Routed by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Senators win over Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Islanders
- Falcons Swoop Past Pirates in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Franchise Mark In 8-3 Win - Albany Devils
- Falcons End Skid, Top Pirates In Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- P-Bruins Defeat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Wolf Pack win 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Morin's Five-Point Night Leads Texas to 7-1 Blowout - Texas Stars
- Crunch Hold on to Defeat Bears - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Drop Monarchs 4-1 - St. John's IceCaps
- Pasq-Walled - Manchester Monarchs
- Comet Tales: Keith Kinkaid - Utica Comets
- Kabanov Loaned to Modo of Swedish Elite League - Bridgeport Islanders
- Heat Announce Heros Hockey Education Partnership - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Foundation to Host 4th Annual Casino Night - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Assign Klesla to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Dietz, Mayer Join Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Hour on Monday, January - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender John Gibson to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Wild Shuffles the Deck with Three Roster Moves - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Recall Ezekiel; Anaheim Reassigns Bobkov to Utah - Norfolk Admirals
- Florida Panthers Acquire C Ryan Martindale from Edmonton - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Acquire Nebsitt from Oklahoma City, Recall Houser - San Antonio Rampage
- The Great Skate Winterfest Returns this Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Predators Reassign Mazanec to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Jaskin Returns to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Gameday: Comets vs. Albany - Utica Comets
- Texas Stars Return Brock Montgomery to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Jets Re-Assign Carl Klingberg to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bulldogs Home Game on January 26th Moved to 4:00 p.m. - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Frozen Frontier to be Featured in Next Episode of "Beyond Blue & Gold" on MSG - Rochester Americans
- IceCaps Recall Cody Sol; Sign Jamie MacQueen to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Canadiens Recall Beaulieu and Nattinen - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Thomas Larkin Reassigned to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Face Falcons in First of Four at Colisee - Portland Pirates
- Detroit Recalls Emmerton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Nip Milwaukee 5-4 in a Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.