Comets lose to Albany
The Utica Comets will be seeing red for quite some time, after they dropped their most lopsided decision of the season, an 8-3 defeat against the Albany Devils on Friday night. Despite a sold out Utica Memorial Auditorium, the Comets were unable to put together a complete performance and lost their sixth consecutive game in a row.
Benn Ferriero, Alexandre Grenier and Brandon DeFazio scored for Utica in a losing effort. Goaltenders Mathieu Corbeil and Joe Cannata each surrendered four goals for the Comets, who fell to 11-20-2-3 with the defeat.
The Devils struck first 11:04 into the opening stanza as Mike Sislo put a loose puck in front past Corbeil, who made his first career AHL start. Rome, NY native Tim Sestito had the final touch on the puck to get it into the crease, before Sislo found it and slotted it home. Reece Scarlett had the secondary assist on the play, his ninth of the season.
The Comets drew level just over four minutes later, however as Ferriero took an outlet pass from Frank Corrado, went the length of the ice and fired a wrist shot over Keith Kinkaid's blocker.ÃÂ The goal was Ferriero's 11th of the season. Utica center Pascal Pelletier also picked up an assist on the play, his team high 23rd of the season.
Albany took a lead into an intermission with a goal just 1:08 before the conclusion of the period.ÃÂ Mattias Tedenby put a shot from the right circle past Corbeil for his sixth goal in eight games to put the Devils on top. Artem Demkov and Corbin McPherson picked up assists on the play for the Devils.
Albany extended its lead to 3-1 as Joe Whitney beat Corbeil with a wrist shot at the 4:49 mark of the second stanza, an unassisted marker. The Devils lengthened their lead further with their fourth of the evening, as Mike Hoeffel put another one past Corbeil, which would spell the end of his evening. The Montreal, PQ native finished with 16 saves on 20 shots and was replaced by Joe Cannata.
Harri Pesonen extended Albany's lead 14:58 into the second as he buried a feed from Chris McKelvie, the first goal past Cannata. The Devils made it 6-1 almost four minutes leader as team captain Rod Pelley found his way onto the scoresheet for the first time.
The Devils tacked on another one as Joe Whitney added his second of the evening and his fifth in three games against Utica this season. Winger Stefan Matteau picked up an assist on the play.ÃÂ Whitney's goal extended his team high point total to 36 (16-20-36).
Grenier pulled one back for the Comets just past the halfway mark of the third period as he converted on a nifty breakaway move to cut the score to 7-2. Pelletier picked up his second assist of the evening and Darren Archibald dded a helper as well.
Kelly Zajac potted Albany's eighth and final goal with just 2:54 to play in the contest. Demkov hit the Albany center with a great feed, who converted past Cannata. Cannata finished the contest with nine saves on 13 shots.
The Comets found the final goal of the evening from Brandon DeFazio to bring Utica within five. The winger banked a shot off of Kinkaid and into the net, off of an assist from Patrick Kennedy. The helper was the first of Kennedy's AHL career, during his AHL debut. Defenseman Kent Huskins also picked up an assist, his third of the season.
The Comets will have little time to dwell on tonight's loss, as they travel to Hamilton for a matchup with the Bulldogs tomorrow evening. Puck drop is set from Copps Coliseum at 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2014
- Barons Fall to Rochester, 4-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Monsters Fall to Wild 6-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets lose to Albany - Utica Comets
- Wolves' Home Winning Streak Ends at Seven - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Slip Past Admirals in Shootout - Norfolk Admirals
- The Pack Strikes Back - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Douse Heat, 3-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Binghamton Bounces Bridgeport 6-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks' Power-Play Too Much for Barons - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Edge Bears 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Shut out Heat 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Sharks Kick off Four Game Road Trip with 4th Straight Win - Worcester Sharks
- Nearly 8,000 Sees Wild Tame Monsters 6-1 - Iowa Wild
- Bruins Exact Revenge on Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Routed by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Senators win over Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons Swoop Past Pirates in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Franchise Mark In 8-3 Win - Albany Devils
- Falcons End Skid, Top Pirates In Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- P-Bruins Defeat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Wolf Pack win 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Morin's Five-Point Night Leads Texas to 7-1 Blowout - Texas Stars
- Crunch Hold on to Defeat Bears - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Drop Monarchs 4-1 - St. John's IceCaps
- Pasq-Walled - Manchester Monarchs
- Comet Tales: Keith Kinkaid - Utica Comets
- Kabanov Loaned to Modo of Swedish Elite League - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Announce Heros Hockey Education Partnership - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Foundation to Host 4th Annual Casino Night - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Assign Klesla to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Dietz, Mayer Join Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Hour on Monday, January - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender John Gibson to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Wild Shuffles the Deck with Three Roster Moves - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Recall Ezekiel; Anaheim Reassigns Bobkov to Utah - Norfolk Admirals
- Florida Panthers Acquire C Ryan Martindale from Edmonton - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Acquire Nebsitt from Oklahoma City, Recall Houser - San Antonio Rampage
- The Great Skate Winterfest Returns this Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Predators Reassign Mazanec to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Jaskin Returns to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Gameday: Comets vs. Albany - Utica Comets
- Texas Stars Return Brock Montgomery to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Jets Re-Assign Carl Klingberg to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bulldogs Home Game on January 26th Moved to 4:00 p.m. - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Frozen Frontier to be Featured in Next Episode of "Beyond Blue & Gold" on MSG - Rochester Americans
- IceCaps Recall Cody Sol; Sign Jamie MacQueen to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Canadiens Recall Beaulieu and Nattinen - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Thomas Larkin Reassigned to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Face Falcons in First of Four at Colisee - Portland Pirates
- Detroit Recalls Emmerton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Nip Milwaukee 5-4 in a Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utica Comets Stories
- Arseneau Two Goals Help Comets Topple Crunch, Win 4-2
- Comets Score Five Unanswered Goals in the Third, Defeat Amerks 7-2
- Comets Downed in the Shootout by the Americans, 4-3
- Comets Defeat Crunch in Successful Home Opener
- Comets Set for Home Opener against the Crunch Tomorrow Night