Crunch Edge Bears 3-2
Syracuse, NY - The Syracuse Crunch edged the Hershey Bears 3-2 tonight at the War Memorial Arena.
Crunch goaltender Kristers Gudlevskis stopped 20 of 22 shots in victory, while Bears goaltender David Leggio stopped 28 of 31 in defeat. The Crunch were unable to convert on six power-play opportunities. The penalty kill unit stopped the Bears from scoring on all four Hershey man-advantages.
The victory advances Syracuse to 17-14-2-4 on the season and 2-0-0-1 in the series with Hershey.
The Crunch opened up scoring early in the first, but the Bears tied it up with just a few minutes left in the period. Under pressure, Tanner Richard was able to take control of the puck and pass it across the crease to Mike Angelidis, who one-timed it from the right circle to take the lead at the 9:30 mark. Angelidis shot the puck past Leggio on the blocker side to pick up his tenth goal of the season. Eric Neilson was credited with the secondary assist. The Bears tied the score with 2:24 left in the period. After a scuffle in front of the net, Chay Genoway gained control of the puck and put it top shelf.
With two goals in the second period, the Crunch went into the second intermission leading 3-1. After forcing a turnover, Vlad Namestnikov received the puck from Korobov and scored a shorthanded goal from the left side of the net at the 2:38 mark. Luke Witkowski picked up the secondary assist. The Crunch extended their lead with 8:48 left in the period. Leggio made the initial save on Richard's shot, but Jon DiSalvatore picked up the rebound and scored the eventual game winner. Richard earned his second point of the night on the play and Evan Rankin earned one for the secondary assist.
The Bears cut the Crunch's lead by one in the third period, but Syracuse was able to hold on and defeat Hershey 3-2. Gudlevskis made the initial save on Genoway's right-wing shot, leaving the left side of the net open for Michael Latta to score on the rebound. Jeff Taffe also picked up a point on the assist.
The Crunch face the Binghamton Senators tomorrow at 7 p.m. at the War Memorial Arena.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2014
- Barons Fall to Rochester, 4-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Monsters Fall to Wild 6-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets lose to Albany - Utica Comets
- Wolves' Home Winning Streak Ends at Seven - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Slip Past Admirals in Shootout - Norfolk Admirals
- The Pack Strikes Back - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Douse Heat, 3-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Binghamton Bounces Bridgeport 6-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks' Power-Play Too Much for Barons - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Edge Bears 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Shut out Heat 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Sharks Kick off Four Game Road Trip with 4th Straight Win - Worcester Sharks
- Nearly 8,000 Sees Wild Tame Monsters 6-1 - Iowa Wild
- Bruins Exact Revenge on Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Routed by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Senators win over Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Islanders
- Falcons Swoop Past Pirates in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Franchise Mark In 8-3 Win - Albany Devils
- Falcons End Skid, Top Pirates In Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- P-Bruins Defeat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Wolf Pack win 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Morin's Five-Point Night Leads Texas to 7-1 Blowout - Texas Stars
- Crunch Hold on to Defeat Bears - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Drop Monarchs 4-1 - St. John's IceCaps
- Pasq-Walled - Manchester Monarchs
- Comet Tales: Keith Kinkaid - Utica Comets
- Kabanov Loaned to Modo of Swedish Elite League - Bridgeport Islanders
- Heat Announce Heros Hockey Education Partnership - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Foundation to Host 4th Annual Casino Night - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Assign Klesla to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Dietz, Mayer Join Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Hour on Monday, January - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender John Gibson to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Wild Shuffles the Deck with Three Roster Moves - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Recall Ezekiel; Anaheim Reassigns Bobkov to Utah - Norfolk Admirals
- Florida Panthers Acquire C Ryan Martindale from Edmonton - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Acquire Nebsitt from Oklahoma City, Recall Houser - San Antonio Rampage
- The Great Skate Winterfest Returns this Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Predators Reassign Mazanec to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Jaskin Returns to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Gameday: Comets vs. Albany - Utica Comets
- Texas Stars Return Brock Montgomery to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Jets Re-Assign Carl Klingberg to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bulldogs Home Game on January 26th Moved to 4:00 p.m. - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Frozen Frontier to be Featured in Next Episode of "Beyond Blue & Gold" on MSG - Rochester Americans
- IceCaps Recall Cody Sol; Sign Jamie MacQueen to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Canadiens Recall Beaulieu and Nattinen - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Thomas Larkin Reassigned to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Face Falcons in First of Four at Colisee - Portland Pirates
- Detroit Recalls Emmerton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Nip Milwaukee 5-4 in a Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Syracuse Crunch Announce 2021-22 Regular Season Schedule
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Defenseman Fredrik Claesson to One-Year Contract
- AHL Team Athletic Trainers Selected as Winners of 2020-21 Yanick Dupré Memorial Award
- Syracuse Crunch Promote Cooper Gillogly to Director of Ticket Retention & Operations, Hire David Riggs as Director of Ticket Sales
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold 2021-22 Home Opener October 23