Monsters Fall to Wild 6-1
Starting off a weekend of back-to-back games in Des Moines, the Lake Erie Monsters (17-17-0-3) fell by a 6-1 score to the Iowa Wild (16-16-3-2) Friday night. Cam Reid scored the lone goal for the Monsters. Game two of the weekend series between the two teams will be Saturday at 1:35 PM Eastern.
Jake Dowell opened the scoring for the Wild when he strolled up the right wing with his team shorthanded, and ripped a shot from the circle that beat Monsters goalie Sami Aittokallio at 10:19 of the opening period. With Iowa on the power play, Carson McMillan converted on a one-timer from the slot to give Iowa a 2-0 lead at 17:12 of the first period.
Cam Reid's first goal as a Monster on a one-timer from the left circle that beat Iowa goalie Johan Gustafsson top-shelf and cut the Iowa lead to 2-1 at 18:44 of the first period. Mitchell Heard and Ray Kaunisto assisted on Reid's goal.
Iowa countered with a pair of goals in the second period, as Marc Hagel at 7:24 and Warren Peters at 10:13 found the back of the net for the Wild. Peters' goal was the second power play goal of the game for Iowa, who took a 4-1 lead into the dressing room after two periods.
The Wild added two more in the third period: Tyler Murovich made it 5-1 at 5:43 of the final frame, and Brian Connelly cashed in on a five-on-three power play for Iowa at 11:14 of the period to make it a 6-1 game.
Sami Aittokallio suffers the loss in net for the Monsters; he is 8-9-1 after stopping 24 of 28 shots. Calvin Pickard stopped seven of nine shots in a 20-minute relief appearance. Johan Gustafsson stopped 25 of 26 shots and is 7-7-1.
The Monsters and Wild play again Saturday at 1:35 PM Eastern. The game airs live on ESPN 850 WKNR.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2014
- Barons Fall to Rochester, 4-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Monsters Fall to Wild 6-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets lose to Albany - Utica Comets
- Wolves' Home Winning Streak Ends at Seven - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Slip Past Admirals in Shootout - Norfolk Admirals
- The Pack Strikes Back - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Douse Heat, 3-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Binghamton Bounces Bridgeport 6-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks' Power-Play Too Much for Barons - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Edge Bears 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Shut out Heat 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Sharks Kick off Four Game Road Trip with 4th Straight Win - Worcester Sharks
- Nearly 8,000 Sees Wild Tame Monsters 6-1 - Iowa Wild
- Bruins Exact Revenge on Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Routed by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Senators win over Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Islanders
- Falcons Swoop Past Pirates in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Franchise Mark In 8-3 Win - Albany Devils
- Falcons End Skid, Top Pirates In Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- P-Bruins Defeat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Wolf Pack win 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Morin's Five-Point Night Leads Texas to 7-1 Blowout - Texas Stars
- Crunch Hold on to Defeat Bears - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Drop Monarchs 4-1 - St. John's IceCaps
- Pasq-Walled - Manchester Monarchs
- Comet Tales: Keith Kinkaid - Utica Comets
- Kabanov Loaned to Modo of Swedish Elite League - Bridgeport Islanders
- Heat Announce Heros Hockey Education Partnership - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Foundation to Host 4th Annual Casino Night - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Assign Klesla to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Dietz, Mayer Join Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Hour on Monday, January - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender John Gibson to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Wild Shuffles the Deck with Three Roster Moves - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Recall Ezekiel; Anaheim Reassigns Bobkov to Utah - Norfolk Admirals
- Florida Panthers Acquire C Ryan Martindale from Edmonton - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Acquire Nebsitt from Oklahoma City, Recall Houser - San Antonio Rampage
- The Great Skate Winterfest Returns this Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Predators Reassign Mazanec to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Jaskin Returns to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Gameday: Comets vs. Albany - Utica Comets
- Texas Stars Return Brock Montgomery to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Jets Re-Assign Carl Klingberg to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bulldogs Home Game on January 26th Moved to 4:00 p.m. - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Frozen Frontier to be Featured in Next Episode of "Beyond Blue & Gold" on MSG - Rochester Americans
- IceCaps Recall Cody Sol; Sign Jamie MacQueen to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Canadiens Recall Beaulieu and Nattinen - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Thomas Larkin Reassigned to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Face Falcons in First of Four at Colisee - Portland Pirates
- Detroit Recalls Emmerton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Nip Milwaukee 5-4 in a Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Forward Tyler Sikura to One-Year, Two-Way NHL/AHL Contract for 2021-22 Season
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Defenseman Gavin Bayreuther to Two-Year Contract Through 2022-23
- Monsters Madness Dek Hockey Tournament Newest 'Grow the Game' Initiative
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2021-22 Regular Season Schedule Presented by SeatGeek
- Monsters Drop the Puck on the 2021-22 Season against Syracuse Crunch