P-Bruins Defeat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 5-1
Providence, R.I. - The Providence Bruins defeated the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 5-1 Friday evening at the Dunkin' Donuts Center. Niklas Svedberg made 26 saves, while Justin Florek, Bobby Robins, Craig Cunningham, Zach Trotman, and Alexander Khokhlachev scored for the P-Bruins.
The P-Bruins came out to a lightning start in the opening period. At the 2:29 mark, Florek scored his tenth goal of the season when Trotman made a slick cross-ice pass to Khokhlachev who then fed the puck to Florek in front of the net. Providence struck again at the 12:41 mark when Jared Knight made a pass to Robins, who found an opening on Penguins goaltender Jeff Deslauriers as the puck sailed in for his fifth goal of the season. The P-Bruins took a 2-0 lead into the first intermission.
The game grew physical in the second period, but it was the P-Bruins who continued to apply offensive pressure on the Penguins outshooting them 13-6 in the period. Although the P-Bruins had some great scoring opportunities, they were unable to score as the game remained 2-0 going into the second intermission.
The P-Bruins expanded their lead in the third period scoring on the power play. Cunningham found an opening behind Deslauriers to slide the puck into the net for his 14th goal of the season. Seth Griffith and David Warsofsky assisted on the goal. At the 8:23 mark, Trotman extended the lead to 4-0 when he scored his fourth goal of season with Nick Johnson getting the helper. The Penguins got on the board at the 12:25 mark when Harry Zolnierczyk managed to jam the puck past Svedberg for his 13th goal of the season. Nick Drazenovic and Tom Kostopoulos were given the assists. Khokhlachev went on the breakaway at the 16:40 mark only to stop in front of the net and spin around before taking a wrist shot and scoring his eighth goal of the season. Florek and Johnson recorded the assists as the P-Bruins went onto the 5-1 victory.
Svedberg stopped 30 of 31 shots for the P-Bruins, while Deslauriers made 22 saves and Eric Hartzell made 4 saves for the Penguins. Providence went 1-for-5 on the power play and 2-for-2 on the penalty kill.
The P-Bruins travel to Springfield Saturday to take on the Falcons at 7:00pm before returning to the Dunkin' Donuts Center on Sunday at 3:05pm against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. Lip Balm will be given out courtesy of Amica. For tickets to this game or any other P-Bruins home games visit www.providencebruins.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2014
- Barons Fall to Rochester, 4-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Monsters Fall to Wild 6-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets lose to Albany - Utica Comets
- Wolves' Home Winning Streak Ends at Seven - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Slip Past Admirals in Shootout - Norfolk Admirals
- The Pack Strikes Back - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Douse Heat, 3-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Binghamton Bounces Bridgeport 6-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks' Power-Play Too Much for Barons - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Edge Bears 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Shut out Heat 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Sharks Kick off Four Game Road Trip with 4th Straight Win - Worcester Sharks
- Nearly 8,000 Sees Wild Tame Monsters 6-1 - Iowa Wild
- Bruins Exact Revenge on Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Routed by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Senators win over Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons Swoop Past Pirates in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Franchise Mark In 8-3 Win - Albany Devils
- Falcons End Skid, Top Pirates In Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- P-Bruins Defeat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Wolf Pack win 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Morin's Five-Point Night Leads Texas to 7-1 Blowout - Texas Stars
- Crunch Hold on to Defeat Bears - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Drop Monarchs 4-1 - St. John's IceCaps
- Pasq-Walled - Manchester Monarchs
- Comet Tales: Keith Kinkaid - Utica Comets
- Kabanov Loaned to Modo of Swedish Elite League - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Announce Heros Hockey Education Partnership - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Foundation to Host 4th Annual Casino Night - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Assign Klesla to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Dietz, Mayer Join Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Hour on Monday, January - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender John Gibson to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Wild Shuffles the Deck with Three Roster Moves - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Recall Ezekiel; Anaheim Reassigns Bobkov to Utah - Norfolk Admirals
- Florida Panthers Acquire C Ryan Martindale from Edmonton - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Acquire Nebsitt from Oklahoma City, Recall Houser - San Antonio Rampage
- The Great Skate Winterfest Returns this Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Predators Reassign Mazanec to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Jaskin Returns to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Gameday: Comets vs. Albany - Utica Comets
- Texas Stars Return Brock Montgomery to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Jets Re-Assign Carl Klingberg to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bulldogs Home Game on January 26th Moved to 4:00 p.m. - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Frozen Frontier to be Featured in Next Episode of "Beyond Blue & Gold" on MSG - Rochester Americans
- IceCaps Recall Cody Sol; Sign Jamie MacQueen to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Canadiens Recall Beaulieu and Nattinen - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Thomas Larkin Reassigned to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Face Falcons in First of Four at Colisee - Portland Pirates
- Detroit Recalls Emmerton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Nip Milwaukee 5-4 in a Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- Providence Bruins Tickets on Sale Now
- P-Bruins Release 2019-20 Schedule and Opening Weekend Hat Trick to Benefit the Tomorrow Fund
- P-Bruins Season Ends with Game Four Loss in Charlotte
- Checkers Shut Down P-Bruins Offense, Take 2-1 Series Lead
- P-Bruins Even Series with Checkers After 4-2 Win