IceCaps Drop Monarchs 4-1
ST. JOHN'S, NL - Eddie Pasquale made 36 saves, Jerome Samson netted two goals, and John Albert scored the game-winning tally shorthanded, as the St. John's IceCaps downed the league-leading Manchester Monarchs 4-1 Friday night at Mile One Centre.
Jason Jaffray had the other goal for St. John's, which beat the Monarchs for the fourth time this season in six tries. Will O'Neill added two assists for St. John's.
Nick Deslauriers had the lone tally for Manchester, and Jean-Francois Berube turned aside 27 shots in taking the loss.
The IceCaps jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead 52 seconds into the contest, when Jaffray potted his 10th of the season. With the IceCaps charging into the Monarchs' zone, Jaffray scooped up the rebound from an Andrew Gordon slap shot in front of the net before burying it past Berube.
In the second period, Albert put the IceCaps ahead by two on a shorthanded tally at 7:56. Carrying the puck into the neutral zone, Kyle MacKinnon sprung Albert behind the Manchester defense, who then made a quick move to the backhand and snuck the puck through the legs of Berube to make it 2-0.
Just over three minutes later, Samson cashed in on the power play to make it 3-0 for St. John's. After Berube made the initial save, Samson pounced on his own rebound and fired it past Berube from the doorstep.
The Monarchs cut the IceCaps' lead to two at 14:17, however, when Deslauriers capitalized on a deflected puck that found its way to his stick, firing a wrister to the glove side of a helpless Pasquale side to make it 3-1.
With less than three minutes to play in the third period, Pasquale shut the door on a Monarchs' breakaway attempt, leading the way to Samson's empty-netter with 14 seconds left to seal the deal for the IceCaps.
The IceCaps and Monarchs tangle again tomorrow night (7:30 PM NT) at Mile One Centre, as St. John's looks to take two in a row from Manchester. Catch all the action with broadcaster Brian Rogers at www.stjohnsicecaps.com and 930 AM This is Newfoundland Labrador, or watch online at www.ahllive.com. Pre-game show kicks off 30 minutes prior to puck drop.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2014
- Barons Fall to Rochester, 4-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Monsters Fall to Wild 6-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets lose to Albany - Utica Comets
- Wolves' Home Winning Streak Ends at Seven - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Slip Past Admirals in Shootout - Norfolk Admirals
- The Pack Strikes Back - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Douse Heat, 3-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Binghamton Bounces Bridgeport 6-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks' Power-Play Too Much for Barons - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Edge Bears 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Shut out Heat 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Sharks Kick off Four Game Road Trip with 4th Straight Win - Worcester Sharks
- Nearly 8,000 Sees Wild Tame Monsters 6-1 - Iowa Wild
- Bruins Exact Revenge on Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Routed by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Senators win over Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Islanders
- Falcons Swoop Past Pirates in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Franchise Mark In 8-3 Win - Albany Devils
- Falcons End Skid, Top Pirates In Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- P-Bruins Defeat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Wolf Pack win 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Morin's Five-Point Night Leads Texas to 7-1 Blowout - Texas Stars
- Crunch Hold on to Defeat Bears - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Drop Monarchs 4-1 - St. John's IceCaps
- Pasq-Walled - Manchester Monarchs
- Comet Tales: Keith Kinkaid - Utica Comets
- Kabanov Loaned to Modo of Swedish Elite League - Bridgeport Islanders
- Heat Announce Heros Hockey Education Partnership - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Foundation to Host 4th Annual Casino Night - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Assign Klesla to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Dietz, Mayer Join Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Hour on Monday, January - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender John Gibson to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Wild Shuffles the Deck with Three Roster Moves - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Recall Ezekiel; Anaheim Reassigns Bobkov to Utah - Norfolk Admirals
- Florida Panthers Acquire C Ryan Martindale from Edmonton - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Acquire Nebsitt from Oklahoma City, Recall Houser - San Antonio Rampage
- The Great Skate Winterfest Returns this Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Predators Reassign Mazanec to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Jaskin Returns to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Gameday: Comets vs. Albany - Utica Comets
- Texas Stars Return Brock Montgomery to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Jets Re-Assign Carl Klingberg to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bulldogs Home Game on January 26th Moved to 4:00 p.m. - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Frozen Frontier to be Featured in Next Episode of "Beyond Blue & Gold" on MSG - Rochester Americans
- IceCaps Recall Cody Sol; Sign Jamie MacQueen to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Canadiens Recall Beaulieu and Nattinen - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Thomas Larkin Reassigned to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Face Falcons in First of Four at Colisee - Portland Pirates
- Detroit Recalls Emmerton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Nip Milwaukee 5-4 in a Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.