Bruins Exact Revenge on Penguins
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Justin Florek, Alexander Khokhlachev and Zach Trotman each tallied a goal and an assist as the Providence Bruins downed the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, 5-1, at Dunkin' Donuts Center. It was the first meeting between the two teams since last year's Eastern Conference Semifinal where the Penguins rallied from a 0-3 deficit to defeat the Bruins in seven games.
The Bruins hopped onto the power play early in the first period and would go up, 1-0, right after the man-advantage expired. A bad angle shot from the far circle by Khokhlachev was stopped by goaltender Jeff Deslauriers, but the bouncing puck could not be cleared away by the Penguins defense before Florek swept it into the net at 2:29.
Bobby Robins doubled that lead with 7:19 left until the first intermission, finding a loose puck near the right post and quickly cutting toward the front of the crease. Deslauriers stopped the initial shot, but Robins was able to lift the rebound over the Penguins netminder to make it 2-0.
The score stood until the 6:01 mark of the third period when Craig Cunningham stuffed in a power play goal to push Providence further ahead. The Bruins then skated to a 4-0 cushion 2:22 later on a Trotman wrist shot from the right point that sailed past the blocker of Deslauriers.
Harry Zolnierczyk broke up the Bruins' shutout bid at the 12:25 mark of the same period, digging a puck out of a scrum in the Providence crease and flipping his 13th goal of the season over the shoulder of goaltender Niklas Svedberg.
Khokhlachev re-established Providence's four-goal margin and completed the scoring on a breakaway goal with 3:20 left in regulation.
Deslauriers dropped to 16-10-2 on the season, stopping 22-of-26 over 47:52 of playing time. Coming into the game in relief midway through the third, Eric Hartzell made four saves on five shots. Svedberg turned aside 26 shots for the Bruins.
The Penguins continue their road weekend on Saturday, Jan. 18, facing off against the Portland Pirates at 7:00p.m. Tune into the live game action on the Sports Hub 102 or AHL Live.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2014
- Barons Fall to Rochester, 4-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Monsters Fall to Wild 6-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets lose to Albany - Utica Comets
- Wolves' Home Winning Streak Ends at Seven - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Slip Past Admirals in Shootout - Norfolk Admirals
- The Pack Strikes Back - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Douse Heat, 3-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Binghamton Bounces Bridgeport 6-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks' Power-Play Too Much for Barons - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Edge Bears 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Shut out Heat 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Sharks Kick off Four Game Road Trip with 4th Straight Win - Worcester Sharks
- Nearly 8,000 Sees Wild Tame Monsters 6-1 - Iowa Wild
- Bruins Exact Revenge on Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Routed by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Senators win over Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Islanders
- Falcons Swoop Past Pirates in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Franchise Mark In 8-3 Win - Albany Devils
- Falcons End Skid, Top Pirates In Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- P-Bruins Defeat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Wolf Pack win 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Morin's Five-Point Night Leads Texas to 7-1 Blowout - Texas Stars
- Crunch Hold on to Defeat Bears - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Drop Monarchs 4-1 - St. John's IceCaps
- Pasq-Walled - Manchester Monarchs
- Comet Tales: Keith Kinkaid - Utica Comets
- Kabanov Loaned to Modo of Swedish Elite League - Bridgeport Islanders
- Heat Announce Heros Hockey Education Partnership - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Foundation to Host 4th Annual Casino Night - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Assign Klesla to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Dietz, Mayer Join Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Hour on Monday, January - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender John Gibson to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Wild Shuffles the Deck with Three Roster Moves - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Recall Ezekiel; Anaheim Reassigns Bobkov to Utah - Norfolk Admirals
- Florida Panthers Acquire C Ryan Martindale from Edmonton - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Acquire Nebsitt from Oklahoma City, Recall Houser - San Antonio Rampage
- The Great Skate Winterfest Returns this Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Predators Reassign Mazanec to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Jaskin Returns to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Gameday: Comets vs. Albany - Utica Comets
- Texas Stars Return Brock Montgomery to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Jets Re-Assign Carl Klingberg to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bulldogs Home Game on January 26th Moved to 4:00 p.m. - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Frozen Frontier to be Featured in Next Episode of "Beyond Blue & Gold" on MSG - Rochester Americans
- IceCaps Recall Cody Sol; Sign Jamie MacQueen to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Canadiens Recall Beaulieu and Nattinen - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Thomas Larkin Reassigned to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Face Falcons in First of Four at Colisee - Portland Pirates
- Detroit Recalls Emmerton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Nip Milwaukee 5-4 in a Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Comings, Goings, on First Day of Free Agency
- Former WBS Coach Mike Sullivan to Guide USA Olympic Team
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Announces 2021-22 Schedule
- Hextall Hopes Hållander "Pushes for a Spot" in Pittsburgh
- Seattle Takes Tanev from Pittsburgh in Expansion Draft