Falcons Swoop Past Pirates in Shootout
Lewiston, ME-The Portland Pirates earned a point against the top team in the Eastern Conference with a shootout loss to the Springfield Falcons Friday night by a score of 4-3.
Lucas Lessio scored twice and Louis Domingue made 31 saves, but the Pirates were unable to close out the Falcons, losing their fifth shootout at home this season.
The Pirates looked in good shape early on in the game, earning power play after power play and getting plenty of chances, but Springfield scored first at 8:41 on a deflection by Cody Bass. The Pirates responded quickly, however, scoring less than two minutes later as Lessio banged home a rebound from a Brandon McMillan shot to score his 11th goal of the year.
The Falcons regained the lead at 14:37 when Spencer Machacek found daylight under the arm of Louis Domingue. Domingue got a piece, but not enough, as the shot from the left circle trickled into the Portland net.
In the second, Lessio tallied his second goal of the night after a face-off win by Andy Miele. Lessio grabbed the puck and fired a wrister that beat Mike McKenna from the left circle, tying the game up at 2-2 at 14:13.
The Pirates grabbed their first lead of the game just under five minutes into the third when Phil Lane notched his first goal of the year, deflecting home a blast from Randy Jones. But the Falcons, hunting for the equalizer, tied the game up at 11:47 when a Cody Goloubef shot deflected off a Pirates defender and beat Domingue.
In the shootout, Andrew Joudrey and Goloubef both scored for Springfield to give the Falcons their Eastern Conference-leading 26th win of the season.
The Pirates, with the shootout loss, have a seven-game home point streak dating back to Dec. 14. In that time, the team has gone 4-0-0-3. The Pirates will play again Saturday when they host the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, including former Biddeford Tiger Brian Dumoulin, at 7 p.m. at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee. Tomorrow's game can be heard on the Pirates flagship stations WPEI 95.5/95.9 FM as well as WEZR AM 1240 in the Lewiston/Auburn area and WTME AM 780/1450 in Oxford County. The game can also be heard online at portlandpirates.com by clicking "Listen Live" and can be seen live on AHL Live at ahllive.com. The pregame show starts at 6:40 with Jeff Mannix. Tickets are available at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee by calling 783-2009 ext. 525 or online at thecolisee.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2014
- Barons Fall to Rochester, 4-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Monsters Fall to Wild 6-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets lose to Albany - Utica Comets
- Wolves' Home Winning Streak Ends at Seven - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Slip Past Admirals in Shootout - Norfolk Admirals
- The Pack Strikes Back - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Douse Heat, 3-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Binghamton Bounces Bridgeport 6-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks' Power-Play Too Much for Barons - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Edge Bears 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Shut out Heat 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Sharks Kick off Four Game Road Trip with 4th Straight Win - Worcester Sharks
- Nearly 8,000 Sees Wild Tame Monsters 6-1 - Iowa Wild
- Bruins Exact Revenge on Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Routed by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Senators win over Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Islanders
- Falcons Swoop Past Pirates in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Franchise Mark In 8-3 Win - Albany Devils
- Falcons End Skid, Top Pirates In Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- P-Bruins Defeat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Wolf Pack win 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Morin's Five-Point Night Leads Texas to 7-1 Blowout - Texas Stars
- Crunch Hold on to Defeat Bears - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Drop Monarchs 4-1 - St. John's IceCaps
- Pasq-Walled - Manchester Monarchs
- Comet Tales: Keith Kinkaid - Utica Comets
- Kabanov Loaned to Modo of Swedish Elite League - Bridgeport Islanders
- Heat Announce Heros Hockey Education Partnership - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Foundation to Host 4th Annual Casino Night - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Assign Klesla to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Dietz, Mayer Join Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Hour on Monday, January - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender John Gibson to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Wild Shuffles the Deck with Three Roster Moves - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Recall Ezekiel; Anaheim Reassigns Bobkov to Utah - Norfolk Admirals
- Florida Panthers Acquire C Ryan Martindale from Edmonton - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Acquire Nebsitt from Oklahoma City, Recall Houser - San Antonio Rampage
- The Great Skate Winterfest Returns this Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Predators Reassign Mazanec to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Jaskin Returns to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Gameday: Comets vs. Albany - Utica Comets
- Texas Stars Return Brock Montgomery to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Jets Re-Assign Carl Klingberg to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bulldogs Home Game on January 26th Moved to 4:00 p.m. - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Frozen Frontier to be Featured in Next Episode of "Beyond Blue & Gold" on MSG - Rochester Americans
- IceCaps Recall Cody Sol; Sign Jamie MacQueen to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Canadiens Recall Beaulieu and Nattinen - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Thomas Larkin Reassigned to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Face Falcons in First of Four at Colisee - Portland Pirates
- Detroit Recalls Emmerton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Nip Milwaukee 5-4 in a Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.