Wolves' Home Winning Streak Ends at Seven
Rosemont, Ill.---After rallying to force overtime with a pair of power-play goals, the Chicago Wolves surrendered their third power-play goal with 1:11 left in extra time to fall 3-2 to Toronto Friday night at Allstate Arena.
Defenseman Cade Fairchild started Chicago's rally with his first goal of the year before left wing Sergey Andronov pulled the Wolves (20-14-2-2) into a tie at 3:19 of the third period. Mark Mancari added two assists for Chicago, which saw its home winning streak end at seven games.
"We played well five-on-five, but we took way too many penalties," said Wolves head coach John Anderson. "We had our chances to win after we tied the score but couldn't convert."
Toronto (22-11-2-2) opened the scoring with a power-play goal just 19 seconds before the end of the first period. Sam Carrick delivered a centering pass in front of the goal to set up left wing David Broll for an easy flip past Wolves goaltender Jake Allen.
The Marlies pushed their lead to 2-0 with another power-play goal at 11:29 of the second period. Spencer Abbott took advantage of Allen playing without a stick and wristed a shot from the left circle past his glove.
The Wolves delivered a power-play goal of their own to slice the margin in half at 15:43 of the second. Mancari worked the puck to Keith Aucoin near the goal line, then Aucoin rifled a pass across the crease past a sliding Toronto defender to Fairchild for a tap-in past goaltender Garret Sparks.
Chicago pulled even at 3:19 of the third with another power-play goal as Mancari rifled a shot from the point that deflected off Andronov. Ty Rattie also picked up an assist on the play.
Carrick earned the game-winner at 3:49 of overtime. With Toronto owning a 4-on-3 advantage, Greg McKegg claimed the puck behind the net and fed the open Carrick in the slot for a one-timer.
Allen (15-9-2) stopped 22 shots for the Wolves. Elmhurst native Garret Sparks (3-3-0) posted 25 saves to pick up the win.
The Wolves play their final January home game at 7 p.m. Saturday when they host Rockford for an Illinois Lottery Cup contest. For tickets, call 1-800-THE-WOLVES or visit ChicagoWolves.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2014
- Barons Fall to Rochester, 4-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Monsters Fall to Wild 6-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets lose to Albany - Utica Comets
- Wolves' Home Winning Streak Ends at Seven - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Slip Past Admirals in Shootout - Norfolk Admirals
- The Pack Strikes Back - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Douse Heat, 3-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Binghamton Bounces Bridgeport 6-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks' Power-Play Too Much for Barons - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Edge Bears 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Shut out Heat 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Sharks Kick off Four Game Road Trip with 4th Straight Win - Worcester Sharks
- Nearly 8,000 Sees Wild Tame Monsters 6-1 - Iowa Wild
- Bruins Exact Revenge on Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Routed by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Senators win over Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Islanders
- Falcons Swoop Past Pirates in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Franchise Mark In 8-3 Win - Albany Devils
- Falcons End Skid, Top Pirates In Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- P-Bruins Defeat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Wolf Pack win 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Morin's Five-Point Night Leads Texas to 7-1 Blowout - Texas Stars
- Crunch Hold on to Defeat Bears - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Drop Monarchs 4-1 - St. John's IceCaps
- Pasq-Walled - Manchester Monarchs
- Comet Tales: Keith Kinkaid - Utica Comets
- Kabanov Loaned to Modo of Swedish Elite League - Bridgeport Islanders
- Heat Announce Heros Hockey Education Partnership - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Foundation to Host 4th Annual Casino Night - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Assign Klesla to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Dietz, Mayer Join Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Hour on Monday, January - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender John Gibson to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Wild Shuffles the Deck with Three Roster Moves - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Recall Ezekiel; Anaheim Reassigns Bobkov to Utah - Norfolk Admirals
- Florida Panthers Acquire C Ryan Martindale from Edmonton - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Acquire Nebsitt from Oklahoma City, Recall Houser - San Antonio Rampage
- The Great Skate Winterfest Returns this Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Predators Reassign Mazanec to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Jaskin Returns to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Gameday: Comets vs. Albany - Utica Comets
- Texas Stars Return Brock Montgomery to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Jets Re-Assign Carl Klingberg to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bulldogs Home Game on January 26th Moved to 4:00 p.m. - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Frozen Frontier to be Featured in Next Episode of "Beyond Blue & Gold" on MSG - Rochester Americans
- IceCaps Recall Cody Sol; Sign Jamie MacQueen to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Canadiens Recall Beaulieu and Nattinen - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Thomas Larkin Reassigned to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Face Falcons in First of Four at Colisee - Portland Pirates
- Detroit Recalls Emmerton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Nip Milwaukee 5-4 in a Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.