PLAYOFF RECAP | Double Overtime Sees Crunch Sink IceCaps 4-3
ST. JOHN'S, NL - The St. John's IceCaps and Syracuse Crunch battled it out at Mile One Centre for the second night in a row, but it would be the Crunch who came out on top with a 4-3 double overtime win over the IceCaps on Saturday night.
After a scoreless first period, Jacob de la Rose kicked off the scoring with a tally in the second off a play from Stefan Matteau and Max Friberg. The Crunch tied it up just under two minutes later with a goal from Slater Koekkoek.
The IceCaps took the lead again with a third period marker from Charles Hudon (Chris Terry, Nikita Scherbak), followed by another from Matteau. Max Friberg and Zach Redmond picked up the assists on the third tally.
Syracuse pulled netminder Mike McKenna with just under five minutes left in regulation. Matt Taormina took advantage and scored to bring the Crunch within one. Cory Conacher added another marker to tie the game and send it to overtime.
An IceCaps goal was waved off in overtime, and another extra frame was needed to decide the outcome. A Crunch goal would then also be waved off in the second extra frame. After 10:37 in the second overtime period, Syracuse's Tye McGinn found the back of the St. John's net to win it for the visitors. Charlie Lindgren stopped 46-of-50 shots for the IceCaps, while Crunch's McKenna turned aside 38-of-41 shots.
The Eastern Conference Semifinal C is now tied at one game each between St. John's and Syracuse.
Game 3 of the Calder Cup Playoffs will be in Syracuse, on Wednesday night at 8:30PM NDT. Catch all the action with broadcaster Brian Rogers at www.stjohnsicecaps.com, KIXX Country 930AM and www.ahllive.com.
Goalscorers: STJ: de la Rose (1), Hudon (1), Matteau (1) SYR: Koekkoek (1), Taormina (1), Conacher (1), McGinn (2)
Goaltenders: STJ: Lindgren - L(46/50) SYR: McKenna - W(38/41)
IceCaps Power Play: (0/5) IceCaps Penalty Kill: (3/3)
Molson Canadian Three Stars: 1. Tye McGinn - SYR 2. Stefan Matteau - STJ 3. Cory Conacher - SYR
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 23, 2017
- Heat Steal Home Ice Advantage with 6-4 Win in Game 2 - Stockton Heat
- Bertuzzi Scores Twice as Griffins Take 2-0 Series Lead - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Brickley, Checkers Put Wolves on Brink of Elimination - Chicago Wolves
- Pouliot, Penguins Pull out 6-5 OT Win to Even Series - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Can't Finish Comeback, Drop Game 2 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Brickley Takes Game Three with Clutch OT Winner - Charlotte Checkers
- Providence Falls in OT, Series with WBS Now Tied 1-1 - Providence Bruins
- Anaheim Ducks Sign Left Wing Jack Kopacka to Three-Year Entry-Level - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Boris Katchouk to Entry-Level Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Gulls Even Series with 2-1 Win over Reign in Game 2 - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Fall Short to Gulls in Game 2, Series Tied 1-1 - Ontario Reign
- Intensity, Physicality, Excitement Dominate Game 2 at PPL Center - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- PLAYOFF RECAP | Double Overtime Sees Crunch Sink IceCaps 4-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Toronto Takes Game 2, 6-2 - Albany Devils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.