Toronto Takes Game 2, 6-2
ALBANY, NY - The Albany Devils fell to the the Toronto Marlies 6-2 in Game 2 of the Calder Cup Playoffs Saturday at Times Union Center. The series is even at 1-1 as the two teams head to Toronto.
Kerby Rychel put the Marlies on the board first at 2:56 of the opening period. Kevin Rooney then tied the game at 18:25 with his first goal of the Calder Cup Playoffs. Blake Pietila put a pass on Rooney's tape in front of the net for a tip-in goal. Steven Santini picked up the secondary assist.
Sergey Kalinin quickly answered Rooney's goal at 18:36 to give Toronto a 2-1 lead at the end of the first period.
Frederik Gauthier and Colin Greening scored for Toronto at 4:15 and 6:38, respectively, of the second period to push the lead to 4-1 before John Quenneville netted his second goal of the playoffs at 8:59. Quenneville cleaned up a loose puck in front, off of a Blake Coleman shot.
Andreas Johnsson gave Toronto a 5-2 lead heading into the final period at 16:09 of the second and Trevor Moore found the net at 4:35 of the third.
Mackenzie Blackwood made 9 saves on 13 shots before being replaced by Ken Appleby who turned aside 8 of 10 shots. Toronto goaltender Garret Sparks saved 16 of 18 shots before Kasimir Kaskisuo registered 3 stops on 3 shots in the third period.
The Devils travel to Toronto Wednesday for a 7 pm puck drop against the Marlies for Game 3 of the series.
- devils -
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 23, 2017
- Heat Steal Home Ice Advantage with 6-4 Win in Game 2 - Stockton Heat
- Bertuzzi Scores Twice as Griffins Take 2-0 Series Lead - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Brickley, Checkers Put Wolves on Brink of Elimination - Chicago Wolves
- Pouliot, Penguins Pull out 6-5 OT Win to Even Series - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Can't Finish Comeback, Drop Game 2 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Brickley Takes Game Three with Clutch OT Winner - Charlotte Checkers
- Providence Falls in OT, Series with WBS Now Tied 1-1 - Providence Bruins
- Anaheim Ducks Sign Left Wing Jack Kopacka to Three-Year Entry-Level - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Boris Katchouk to Entry-Level Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Gulls Even Series with 2-1 Win over Reign in Game 2 - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Fall Short to Gulls in Game 2, Series Tied 1-1 - Ontario Reign
- Intensity, Physicality, Excitement Dominate Game 2 at PPL Center - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- PLAYOFF RECAP | Double Overtime Sees Crunch Sink IceCaps 4-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Toronto Takes Game 2, 6-2 - Albany Devils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.