Devils Defeat Wolf Pack, Clinch Playoff Spot
ALBANY, NY - The Albany Devils clinched a playoff spot for the third time in four years when they defeated the Hartford Wolfpack, 6-3, Wednesday at Times Union Center. Miles Wood and Blake Coleman each tallied two points in their return to Albany and Jacob MacDonald registered three points en route to the team's 38th win. The Devils record improves to 38-31-2-3 as the Wolfpack move to 24-44-4-2.
John Gilmour put the Wolfpack on the board first under two minutes into play but Vojtech Mozik answered at 13:52 with a Devils' power-play goal. Brian Gibbons and Karl Stollery provided the assists on Mozik's tenth goal of the season.
Marek Hrivik put Hartford back in front at 3:20 of the second period to make it a 2-1 game until Kevin Rooney scored the Devils' tenth shorthanded goal of the season at 6:58 to even the score. The unassisted goal was his 13th of the season.
John Quenneville followed with a power-play goal, his 14th tally of the season, at 17:08 of the second. Quenneville sent a wrister past goaltender Magnus Hellberg with assists from MacDonald and Carter Camper.
Wood scored at 3:06 of the third period in his first game with Albany since November 26th. Coleman received a stretch pass from MacDonald to set up a 2-on-0 break. MacDonald was then set up by Wood and Coleman at 6:00 for his eighth goal of the year on a quick shot from the point.
Ben Thomson made it a 6-2 game at 13:55 of the final period from a Shane Harper assist, while Nicklas Jensen scored a 5-on-3 goal for Hartford at 19:59 to make it 6-3.
Mackenzie Blackwood made 28 saves on 31 shots for Albany. Hellberg stopped 20 out of 26.
The Devils travel to Rochester for a 7:05 pm puck drop against the Americans Friday at Blue Cross Arena.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 12, 2017
- Admirals Take out Hogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Penguins Fall in Shootout to Phantoms, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Defeat Wolf Pack, Clinch Playoff Spot - Albany Devils
- Comets Allow Five Third Period Goals in Loss - Utica Comets
- Pack Can't Sustain Good Start In Loss At Albany - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Checkers Pick up a Point in Shootout Loss to Griffins - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Topple Comets, 7-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Phantoms Clinch Berth in 2017 Calder Cup Playoffs - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Fall 4-3 in Last Trip to Springfield - Providence Bruins
- Murray Scores First AHL Goal in 3-2 Shootout Win - Binghamton Senators
- Rampage Sign Defenseman Josh Anderson to Amateur Tryout Contract - San Antonio Rampage
- IceCaps Release Billingsley from PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Coyotes Sign Looke to Entry-Level Contract - Tucson Roadrunners
- Michalek to Minnesota - Iowa Wild
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Sam Ruopp to Amateur Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- San Jose's Roy Sommer Voted Winner of AHL's Louis A.R. Pieri Memorial Award - AHL
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - April 12, 2017 - Vol. 23, No. 26 - Syracuse Crunch
- Fucale Reassigned to Brampton - St. John's IceCaps
- Transaction: Steven Swavely Recalled by Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Comets Recall Forward Marco Roy - Utica Comets
- Vannelli Rejoins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers Report: Week 26 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Griffins Sign Luke Esposito from Harvard - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.