Admirals Can't Finish Comeback, Drop Game 2
Grand Rapids, MI-Vladislav Kamenev and Freddy Gaudreau scored for the Admirals but they couldn't overcome a third period deficit and dropped a 5-2 decision to the Grand Rapids Griffins in game 2 of their best-of-five playoff series on Sunday afternoon at Van Andel Arena.
The loss dropped the Ads in a 2-0 series hole with game three set for Wednesday night at Panther Arena.
Milwaukee had pulled within a goal on Freddy's Gaudreau's third tally of the series with 7:25 to go in the third, but they couldn't get the equalizer. Two empty-netters by the Griffins made shut the hopes on any comeback.
The Griffins jumped out to a quick lead when Eric Tangradi fired a wrister from the top of the left circle by Ads goalie Marek Mazanec just 25 seconds into the game.
The Ads responded quickly, however, as Vladislav Kamenev found a loose puck in front of the Grand Rapids net was able to poke it past Jared Coreau at 2:12 into the contest.
But a one-timer by Axel Holmstrom from between the wheels went top-shelf for a 2-1 Griffs lead with 11:30 to play in the opening frame.
A Todd Bertuzzi goal at 6:39 of the second gave Grand Rapids a two-goal cushion at 3-1.
The series now shifts to Milwaukee for game three on Wednesday, April 26 at 7 pm at Panther Arena, and, if necessary, game four next Friday night at 7.
Tickets for the April 26th game are as low as just $8 and are now on sale by logging on to http://www.milwaukeeadmirals.com or by calling Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000. Groups of 10 or more receive priority seating and discounts off the face value of the tickets. Fans interested in group tickets should call the Admirals office at (414) 227-0550.
In addition, ticket packages for the playoffs are currently available by visiting http://www.milwaukeeadmirals.com . The packages begin at just $120 and include the same seat for every game during the Admirals post-season run. If the team doesn't play all of the games the excess money can either be refunded or applied to a season tickets for the 2017-18 season.
Don't forget to follow the Admirals on Twitter (@mkeadmirals) and like us on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 23, 2017
- Heat Steal Home Ice Advantage with 6-4 Win in Game 2 - Stockton Heat
- Bertuzzi Scores Twice as Griffins Take 2-0 Series Lead - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Brickley, Checkers Put Wolves on Brink of Elimination - Chicago Wolves
- Pouliot, Penguins Pull out 6-5 OT Win to Even Series - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Can't Finish Comeback, Drop Game 2 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Brickley Takes Game Three with Clutch OT Winner - Charlotte Checkers
- Providence Falls in OT, Series with WBS Now Tied 1-1 - Providence Bruins
- Anaheim Ducks Sign Left Wing Jack Kopacka to Three-Year Entry-Level - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Boris Katchouk to Entry-Level Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Gulls Even Series with 2-1 Win over Reign in Game 2 - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Fall Short to Gulls in Game 2, Series Tied 1-1 - Ontario Reign
- Intensity, Physicality, Excitement Dominate Game 2 at PPL Center - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- PLAYOFF RECAP | Double Overtime Sees Crunch Sink IceCaps 4-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Toronto Takes Game 2, 6-2 - Albany Devils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.