Hawerchuk's Overtime Tally Seals Icemen's 5th Straight Win
JACKSONVILLE, FL- The Jacksonville Icemen defeated the Florida Everblades 3-2 in overtime to keep their win streak intact. Icemen goaltender Charles Williams played great with Craig Martin scoring his 5th of the season and Ben Hawerchuk getting his second overtime goal this season.
The Icemen started off the game slow with the Everblades getting off to a very good start controlling the play right from the beginning. Florida grabbed their first goal at the 9:54 mark in the period off of a miscommunication between an Icemen defenseman and goaltender Charles Williams.
Two minutes later, the Icemen could not clear the zone which resulted in Alex Aleardi player having a significant amount of time and space in front of goaltender Williams. Aleardi was able to room a shot top corner to give Florida a 2-0 edge
The Icemen had a much better period in the second frame as they controlled a lot of the offensive zone pressure right from the start. The physicality picked up in this period as Jacksonville defenseman Jacob Friend had a big hit in the period. The Icemen had a powerplay opportunity later in the period, however, they were unable to capitalize but gained some momentum from the chances.
The Icemen continued to heat up in the third period and were able to get a 5-on-3 power play opportunity. However, they had several chances to score, they were unable to convert.
Following the special teams play, Icemen defenseman Jacob Friend scored his first goal of the season to bring Jacksonville back within one goal. Moments later, Icemen forward Craig Martin scored again to continue his great play on the week to tie the game at two goals apiece.
Overtime would be needed to decide this game and just 23-second into overtime, the Icemen had a 3-on-1 rush and forward Ben Hawerchuk snapped home a wrist shot from the right face-off dot to win the game for Jacksonville by a score of 3-2 with the Icemen leading in shots on goal 25-22. The Icemen finish off the three-game series against the Everblades on Saturday, November 27th at 7 p.m. for the Annual Teddy Bear Toss.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 27, 2021
- Solar Bears Rally for 4-3 Shootout Win over Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Simeone and Company Leads Utah to 3-1 Victory - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Edged by Thunder, 6-4 - Rapid City Rush
- Bennett and Miura Extend Point Streaks in Defeat - Iowa Heartlanders
- Stingrays Score Twice in Final 13.9 Seconds to Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Almeida Amazing in Four-Goal Game - Wheeling Nailers
- Admirals Lose First OT Game of Season, Fall 4-3 in Orlando - Norfolk Admirals
- Icemen Win Streak Ends at Five in Teddy Bear Toss Game - Jacksonville Icemen
- Komets Sneak Past Fuel on Marvel Super Hero Night - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Drop 4-2 Game in Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings' Breakaways Bounce Cyclones - Kalamazoo Wings
- Glads Stunned by Rays in Final Frame - Atlanta Gladiators
- Aleardi's Two Goal Performance Melts Icemen in 3-1 Win - Florida Everblades
- Jeri-Leon, Kallen Score First Pro Goals in Loss to Adirondack - Maine Mariners
- A Clean Sweep for the Lions - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Royals Mount Comeback to Gain Overtime Point in 3-2 Loss to Lions - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - November 27 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: First Season Meeting with Tulsa at BOK Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder, Rush Round Two Tonight - Wichita Thunder
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Hawerchuk's Overtime Tally Seals Icemen's 5th Straight Win - Jacksonville Icemen
- Game Preview: Teddy Bear, Toss Everblades at Icemen - Jacksonville Icemen
- Game Day Preview: Americans at Idaho, 8:10 PM - Allen Americans
- Lions Looking to Sweep - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals: November 27, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Look to Rebound in Final Game of Series in Quebec, Claim Danick Paquette - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Host Stingrays for Weekend Rumble - Atlanta Gladiators
- Florida Looks to Close Jacksonville Series with a Win - Florida Everblades
- Americans Fall in Overtime 3-2 - Allen Americans
- Aksiantsiuk Hat-Trick Steals Show in Steelheads 3-2 OT Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Balanced Attack Pushes Thunder Past Oilers - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Lose to Thunder in Wichita - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.