Admirals Lose First OT Game of Season, Fall 4-3 in Orlando
ORLANDO,FL - The Norfolk Admirals, proud ECHL affiliates of the Carolina Hurricanes, lost Saturday night's contest 4-3 against the Orlando Solarbears in a shootout.
Orlando got on the board first, scoring less than five minutes into the game on a goal from forward Luke Boka. Just 12 seconds later, Solar Bears defenseman Cole Moberg would be called for hooking, which was the first penalty of the game.
The penalty would result in a man advantage for the Admirals, who were able to capitalize with a goal from forward Cody Milan. Returning from an injury sustained on October 30th, Milan was able to bring energy and intensity to the Admirals attack tonight.
Less than two minutes after Milan tied the game, forward Alex Tonge helped the Admirals take a 2-1 lead on a goal assisted by Milan. The goal would be Tonge's 7th on the season, which leads the team.
Nearly 30 minutes would pass until the next goal was scored. Norfolk would go up 3-1 on a goal by Noah Corson with just 2:46 remaining in the middle period.
Orlando would open the third period with energy and had multiple shots on goal. The Solar Bears were able to cut into the Norfolk lead with 12:18 remaining in the game on a goal from John Garreffa. Garreffa would prove to be a thorn in the Admirals side, scoring the tying goal with a little more than 5 minutes left in the game.
Tied at three at the end of regulation, the two teams would go to 7-minute sudden-death overtime. Two minutes into overtime, Solar Bears forward Tristan Langan would be called for hooking, leading to a four-on-three man advantage for the Admirals.
While on the Power Play, the Admirals had breakaway opportunities from forwards Milan and Darien Craighead, but they were stopped by Orlando goaltender Brad Barone.
Still tied after regulation, the game would go to a shootout.
Garreffa would go first for the Solar Bears, getting rejected by Beck Warm. Tonge would also have his shot denied, keeping the shootout tied.
Aaron Luchuk would score the first shootout goal for the Solar Bears with his shot getting past Warm. Craighead would also score for the Admirals, keeping the shootout tied at one apiece.
Langan would score on his shot attempt in the third round, to give Orlando the lead. Eric Williams was unable to score on his penalty shot, and the Solar Bears won 4-3.
Prior to tonight, Norfolk was undefeated in overtime, including a November 5th matchup when they defeated the Solar Bears at home, 6-5.
With the loss, Norfolk drops to 7-6-1 on the season and plays Orlando again on Sunday, November 28th at 3pm.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 27, 2021
- Solar Bears Rally for 4-3 Shootout Win over Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Simeone and Company Leads Utah to 3-1 Victory - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Edged by Thunder, 6-4 - Rapid City Rush
- Bennett and Miura Extend Point Streaks in Defeat - Iowa Heartlanders
- Stingrays Score Twice in Final 13.9 Seconds to Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Almeida Amazing in Four-Goal Game - Wheeling Nailers
- Admirals Lose First OT Game of Season, Fall 4-3 in Orlando - Norfolk Admirals
- Icemen Win Streak Ends at Five in Teddy Bear Toss Game - Jacksonville Icemen
- Komets Sneak Past Fuel on Marvel Super Hero Night - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Drop 4-2 Game in Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings' Breakaways Bounce Cyclones - Kalamazoo Wings
- Glads Stunned by Rays in Final Frame - Atlanta Gladiators
- Aleardi's Two Goal Performance Melts Icemen in 3-1 Win - Florida Everblades
- Jeri-Leon, Kallen Score First Pro Goals in Loss to Adirondack - Maine Mariners
- A Clean Sweep for the Lions - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Royals Mount Comeback to Gain Overtime Point in 3-2 Loss to Lions - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - November 27 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: First Season Meeting with Tulsa at BOK Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder, Rush Round Two Tonight - Wichita Thunder
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Hawerchuk's Overtime Tally Seals Icemen's 5th Straight Win - Jacksonville Icemen
- Game Preview: Teddy Bear, Toss Everblades at Icemen - Jacksonville Icemen
- Game Day Preview: Americans at Idaho, 8:10 PM - Allen Americans
- Lions Looking to Sweep - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals: November 27, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Look to Rebound in Final Game of Series in Quebec, Claim Danick Paquette - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Host Stingrays for Weekend Rumble - Atlanta Gladiators
- Florida Looks to Close Jacksonville Series with a Win - Florida Everblades
- Americans Fall in Overtime 3-2 - Allen Americans
- Aksiantsiuk Hat-Trick Steals Show in Steelheads 3-2 OT Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Balanced Attack Pushes Thunder Past Oilers - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Lose to Thunder in Wichita - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Admirals Announce 2022-23 Schedule & Move to North Division
- Admirals Finish Season on High Note, Defeat Greenville
- Admirals Surge Past Stingrays, Win 4-2
- Chicago Assigns LaFontaine and Serikov to Norfolk
- Jon Cooper and Shawn Thornton Elected into Admirals Hall of Fame